Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Souped up" Conquest .15 Engine Cox_ba12

"Souped up" Conquest .15 Engine Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 10:17 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Souped up" Conquest .15 Engine Empty
Live on Patrol

"Souped up" Conquest .15 Engine

Go down

"Souped up" Conquest .15 Engine Empty "Souped up" Conquest .15 Engine

Post  poorbs Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:38 am

Long ago, and I can't remember who modified this engine or what was done internally, I bought a highly customized Conquest .15 engine. It has machined fins all around the cylinder, and what appears to be an oversize venturi, and a pointed spinner, NIB, and complete with header, R/C carb, mini pipe, and both finned and solid head, and the work looks immaculate. Does anyone know who did this kind of work on these engines, and if anything was modified inside the engine as well? [img]"Souped up" Conquest .15 Engine ModCox15[/img]
poorbs
poorbs
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

"Souped up" Conquest .15 Engine Empty Re: "Souped up" Conquest .15 Engine

Post  Ken Cook Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:03 am

I'm guessing your the original owner of the engine? That may be a Clarence Lee engine. I don't know if that jumpstarts the memory. The Conquest you have there may be a ABC piston liner as well. One way to find out would be to see if the piston or cylinder is magnetic. If not, you have a ABC setup which in my opinion is a nice piece to own. Seeing that Rossi internals fit the Conquest that may also be the situation. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  poorbs Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:57 am

Ken,

Thanks for reply, and the name Clarence Lee is familiar to me from back in the day. I thought he mostly did TDs though, but he may have done this engine. I didn't have the work done, although I bought it from whomever did. It's never seen fuel, and I suspect it is more of a collector's item.

I flew competitive 1/2A, Q500, QM, and F1 racing through the 80s and into the 90s, and patterns until about 2006, and this will probably be one of the last things I part with, as I'm retired from competitive R/C. What do you think an item like this would be worth to a collector?

Thanks
poorbs
poorbs
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:29 pm

I see the engine is set up for control line. Control liners are the cheapest out of the hobby. If something breaks, wears out, doesn't work, we will find any way to make it work once again without buying anything. If your intent is to sell that engine, remember this. I attend several swap meets a year and for the past few years items are certainly going at a extremely discounted rate. Knowing exactly what type of piston liner is in it would be my first step in deciding a price. The engine itself although good runners is rarely used anymore. RJL industry (MECOA) owns the rights to the Conquest engine line and still has some parts but hasn't had entire engine assemblies in a few years. This was the engine to have in the 80's. The engine would certainly be worth more to one that desired it from that era. A modern F2D .15 is light years ahead of that engines technology with considerably more rpm's. Engines such as this sell for $200 on up. I certainly feel that you do have an engine that's worth something. I'm not one that would be able to put a price on something like that as I'm a user and not a collector. I look at it like this. I have some very rare engines. These engines have absolutely no parts support available. I use them until they're no good and then admire them on a shelf. This is what makes Ebay so very important. I would certainly find as much documentation and information on what you have and utilize Ebay. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  poorbs Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:25 pm

Ken,

Thanks for your comments, and I guess I'm seriously dating myself here. I am a product of the 80s when it comes to going fast and turning left, and I never entered the world of control line as a competitor. My interest has always been in R/C, and turned to pattern after racing, and then speed was only of interest for sport flying, and the faster the better.

It's interesting how people approach hobbies like this. I always thought the average club level R/C guys were the cheapest guys on the planet, but when it came to racing or pattern, cost didn't seem to matter - anything for a few more Rs in racing, and anything for more power in pattern as the sequences demanded.

Thanks for your input, Bill
poorbs
poorbs
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  stevej Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:37 am

Looks like it would be a nice Free Flight engine, providing it's not set up for low nitro fuel.
stevej
stevej
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:42 pm

It's hard to tell if it was set up for FF or U/C. From my experiences and doing a lot of eBay sales over the years, unless it’s a documented modified engine by a well known modeler a NIB would be worth more than this 'souped-up' version, but whatever way you look at it, it's still a cool engine!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down