Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane Cox_ba12

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane Empty
Live on Patrol

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane

Go down

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane Empty Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane

Post  Kim Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:34 pm

I was gonna copy Travis on the details of the engine pod I made for my 3 Meter Bird of Time Sailplane, but decided to just post it here in case someone else could also make use of it. So far, I've used it equipped with Medallion and Olympic .15's (which pull it to altitude with authority, even when packing cameras), and my trio of Cox RR-1's.

Enlarging the drawing to get the tips of the base 5 1/2 inches apart will get you the size I use on the Big B.O.T.

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane Pod111

The skins are 1/16th ply, as are the base plates, and have been plenty strong for their purpose.

The core is 1/2" balsa (a great opportunity to use up stray chunks of balsa that are bouncing around in the bottom of your scrap box). You can use odd-shaped pieces arranged to fit closely together and epoxied to the left skin. Let them extend beyond the ply side and, then trim them back when it's all glued together. The top engine bearer contours to the shape of the top of the pylon.

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane Pod_211

I moved the pylon back to provide elbow room for all the cameras I'd intended the B.O.T. to carry. It could be redesigned and moved forward, but I often fly it with the cameras replaced by ballast, and have had extended thermaling flights right at the limits of my eyesight. I don't know the angle of the engine verses the wing, but just employed TLAR (That Looks About Right) principles which have mostly served me well over the decades. Besides, I believe that is why God created elevator trim !

The rear of the pylon is secured by the stock wing bolts that come with the kit. The base is cut out to accept the ply plate on the top of the trailing edge, with another piece of ply capping it.

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane 1_11

The front is secured by internally epoxying a dowel to the side of the wing's center ribs, with a hole large enough for a wood screw long enough to pass through and catch the pylon base (probably be a good idea to imbed a receiving dowel here, but I haven't done it yet). It's capped on the bottom with a piece of ply, and uses a slightly bent fender washer to match the wing's dihedral. (make sure that this will all fit inside the B.O.T.'s narrow fuse opening.)

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane 5_10

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane 4_10

Of course, the whole thing can be "prettied up" with some paint and streamlining instead of troweling on epoxy and hanging the tank out in the breeze with rubber bands, but I like seeing the wood, and getting at the tank and other stuff with ease.

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane 410
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane Empty Re: Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane

Post  daddyo Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:49 pm

Wow what a great in-flight photo, not to mention countryside
daddyo
daddyo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane Empty Re: Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane

Post  pkrankow Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:57 pm

I'd like to see the camera mount too, please.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:59 pm

Thank You! It's a frame-capture from one of those tiny, High Def Key Chain Video Cameras.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:29 pm

pkrankow wrote:I'd like to see the camera mount too, please.

Phil

Sorry I missed your post Phil,

Here are photos of the camera I used to get the inflight photo. It's mounted to an Icon servo, which is in turn mounted to an aluminum arrow shaft. The servo is plugged into the unused throttle channel on my transmitter.

Of course, the plane has to be balanced back to it's original CG ( I use small ziplock bags with lead shot, taped where they are needed). Another caution is to make sure that the wing structure will not twist under the load of the shaft and camera.

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane 8_10

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane 7_11

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane B_11

Power Pod for my 3-Meter Bird of Time Sailplane 510
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:19 pm

That is really neat! Simple too.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down