Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Glow Heads Cox_ba12

Cox Glow Heads Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 9:18 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Glow Heads Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Glow Heads

Go down

Cox Glow Heads Empty Cox Glow Heads

Post  poorbs Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Does anyone know if Cox glow heads are still in production? I'm referring to the TD .049, TD .09, and TD .15, and high compression head for TD .051 When I was flying 1/2A, using an .051, hi comp head, and 40% nitro, it was common to blow a head every run or two, but then they were plentiful and readily available. Are they still being produced or does one need to "scrounge" them through ebay or RCU?
poorbs
poorbs
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox Glow Heads Empty Re: Cox Glow Heads

Post  pkrankow Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:41 pm

coxengines.ca and exmodelengines.com list new glow heads from old stock.

I checked and coxengines.ca have some current production glow heads, but I am unsure of which specific application they are for.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  EXModelEngines Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:09 pm

Good Afternoon,

Yes, as Phil said we have some of the ones you mentioned as well as our friendly competition in Canada.

The TD 049/051 glow heads are current production, manufactured to Cox specifications:

http://www.exmodelengines.com/cox-.049-tee-dee-glow-head-hi-compression.html

If you are looking to run high nitro and are worried of burning out plugs quickly a good alternative is the insert style plug/clamp ring, as the replacement insert is cheaper than the entire Cox TD style head:

http://www.exmodelengines.com/cox-.049-glow-head-adapter-insert-style.html

For the larger engines we have a very limited number of TD 09 glow heads:

http://www.exmodelengines.com/cox-.09-tee-dee-glow-head.html

On the 15 engines only heads for Medallion. While they will work with a TD they lack the trumpet head design the TD ones did resulting in less power when using these heads in a TD.

http://www.exmodelengines.com/cox-.15-medallion-glow-head-oem.html

Best Regards, Matt
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:13 pm

Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwichristian Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:19 pm

poorbs wrote:Does anyone know if Cox glow heads are still in production?  I'm referring to the TD .049, TD .09, and TD .15, and high compression head for TD .051  When I was flying 1/2A, using an .051, hi comp head, and 40% nitro, it was common to blow a head every run or two, but then they were plentiful and readily available.  Are they still being produced or does one need to "scrounge" them through ebay or RCU?  

I have three for the Medallion .15 but i put 2 aa batteries across them and get nothing.
kiwichristian
kiwichristian
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

https://kiwichristian.wixsite.com/calvary

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:44 pm

Dang Kiwi!

You drug this one out of the archives. So yeah AA batteries are pretty wimpy on current. Usually it takes at least 2 D cells to get a glow. Did you wire the AA’s in series or parallel? Series would have doubled the voltage which isn’t good. The low current may have saved them though. I would try again with 2 D cells in parallel and see what happens.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:42 pm

I use 2 x size D Rechargeable batteries in the every day Cox battery holder and clip. I bought the batteries and charger from Battery World in Oz. They are very good and expensive batteries but supply excellent current and importantly maintain voltage also. I have 2 sets so I always have fully charged batteries and spares. The two batteries MUST be wired in parallel! The Cox glow heads are very good heads/plugs. The battery holder and wired clip from Cox cops some flak, but I have no problem with it. I check the clip wire screw connections are tight. I check the clip connector is nice and clean bit of wet and dry to get it back to base metal now and then. 1 head gasket per 10% nitro works great. I run 25% nitro so go 3 head gaskets. My TD 049 engines run at 22K with a conservative needle setting on 25% castor, 25% nitro, 50% methanol, 5 and half turns on the needle and they start easy and run great. You can use different heads and turbo plugs and things but just a standard Cox plug will run really well on them, and Im not blowing plugs hardly ever. 5 x 3 prop. Carefully assembled engine, all sealed up with Anaerobic Permatext, Cox Muffler and pressure off the muffler. slightly modified carby/venturi/spraybar and a starter spring. Starts easy, runs great. Simple recipe. Make sure everything is very clean, especially your fuel, tank and lines. Rubbish getting in and on your plug certainly wont help.

check the plug before you put it in the engine, and then when its running. Some plugs will play up under load when running before they blow.

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:34 pm

I use a really bad dynamite glow driver with an adapter on a glow plug clip. The wire takes some power, but it works. Usually I just press my igniter on the head but sometimes that’s a real hassle. I’m about to get a voltage stepper downer to use a lipo and a slightly higher current to overcome that wire resistance and get a brighter element. One of my big trainers has a remote glow plug port and has the same issue as well but worse.
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:56 am

Lukemeister I think you want to use a slightly higher voltage -and not current - because of the resistance of the connecting cables. COX heads work at near 3 Ampers. Higher current than that will blow the glow filament.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:58 am

balogh wrote:Lukemeister I think you want to use a slightly higher voltage -and not current - because of the resistance of the connecting cables. COX heads work at  near 3 Ampers. Higher current than that will blow the glow filament.
Hmm I thought the exact opposite, more amperage would work better. Both can be changed, so I’ll mess around with it when I get it
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:10 am

Remember that the glow head and the wire are connected in series i.e. the same Amp of current will flow through the wire as through the glow head. If you push this current to above 3 Amps, you may blow the glow filament, as this is the design current of these glow heads.

It is the excessive ohm resistance of the connecting wire that will suppress the current in the whole circuit, so you may want to increase the supply voltage, that will rise the current to the optimum level i.e. 3 Amps or so. Depending on the resistance of the wire you have, you may need more than 1.5 Volts:

Based on the simple principle of U (V) = I (Amp) x R (Ohm), you can check if the resistance of the whole circuit (wire and glow head in series) is not more than 0.5 Ohm, if you want to maintain 3 Amps with stock 1.5V DC batteries. If you have a hand-held voltage/current/resistance tester, you can check the resistance of the circuit  without risking the glow filament.

If the resistance is more than 0.5 Ohm, then you should either change the wire for a lower resistance, or use some step-down electronics to transform the source voltage of LiPo batteries to a bit above 1.5 V as supply voltage for the glow head and wire.

Either way I suggest that when you experiment, keep the glow filament always visible so that you can intervene if it glows to strong to prevent it from blowing...a good orange glow will suffice to start the engine easily.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukemiester Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:31 am

balogh wrote:Remember that the glow head and the wire are connected in series i.e. the same Amp of current will flow through the wire as through the glow head. If you push this current to above 3 Amps, you may blow the glow filament, as this is the design current of these glow heads.

It is the excessive ohm resistance of the connecting wire that will suppress the current in the whole circuit, so you may want to increase the supply voltage, that will rise the current to the optimum level i.e. 3 Amps or so. Depending on the resistance of the wire you have, you may need more than 1.5 Volts:

Based on the simple principle of U (V) = I (Amp) x R (Ohm), you can check if the resistance of the whole circuit (wire and glow head in series) is not more than 0.5 Ohm, if you want to maintain 3 Amps with stock 1.5V DC batteries. If you have a hand-held voltage/current/resistance tester, you can check the resistance of the circuit  without risking the glow filament.

If the resistance is more than 0.5 Ohm, then you should either change the wire for a lower resistance, or use some step-down electronics to transform the source voltage of LiPo batteries  to a bit above 1.5 V as supply voltage for the glow head and wire.

Either way I suggest that when you experiment, keep the glow filament always visible so that you can intervene if it glows to strong to prevent it from blowing...a good orange glow will suffice to start the engine easily.

Ah I see, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining!
Lukemiester
Lukemiester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:52 pm

Balogh is absolutely right with his logic and equations. Now if you look at the equations you will notice that if the voltage from the power source sags or lowers the device tries to compensate by drawing more current. This is why you hear of equipment burning out when the voltage supply has gone too low/under-voltage. Keep your voltage source at 1.5v - 2v and use nice thick wires between the source and the plug. Thicker wire of the same quality provides less resistance than thinner wire of the same quality. That is to say, Thin wire becomes more of a resistor than thick wire.

This is why I dont really understand why the pre-built model plane fancy power units seem obsessed with measuring current. Good batteries, good voltage in the 1.5v - 2V range and all will be fine. These sorts of problems are usually bad connections, loose wires etc. Typical electrical problems. use heat shrink on your connection points for an inch or more to provide mechanical protection also, and where your cables go through holes/penetrations in things put some heat shrink there or round off the material its going through so as that you dont start cutting through the wire.

Keep it simple. Use 2 x D size rechargeable batteries (good quality) in the Cox battery box and it will just all work. get a $5 multi meter and you can check the voltage. the really good D size rechargeables are usually 2V when fully charged and go down to 1.5 as they becomes flat.

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down