Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Videos - Good day flying Cox_ba12

Videos - Good day flying Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by 1/2A Nut Today at 10:23 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 5:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 5:27 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Videos - Good day flying Empty
Live on Patrol

Videos - Good day flying

Go down

Videos - Good day flying Empty Videos - Good day flying

Post  RknRusty Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:43 pm

I took the new Baby Streak out for its maiden today, as well as the Li'l Satan which just got a new Tee Dee after the first one failed to perform.
Videos - Good day flying Sam_2114
Alas the red white and blue baby just sat in the grass while nobody played with it. Too much fun with the other two. The Li'l Satan previously had a TD on it that refused to cooperate, as has been documented in 5 pages at RCG. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786352
But the new one hopped up and did the job. I videoed a couple of flights while testing it and I finally settled on a 5-1/4x3 prop and it flies really fast and tight. The loops are too large, so I need to remove a tad of nose weight, but I was anxious to try out the new BFS, so I'll tinker with that the next time out.

My camera ran out of memory before the fun light extinguished but I still got some good footage of flights, and some bad footage of landings. Rolling Eyes It's lighter than my old one and the Norvel rips it through the air like a speed demon. I haven't clocked the time stamps on the video yet, I can't wait to see how fast it was really moving. I had it balanced in exactly the same spot I balance the other Streak. This was not where it was happy... no sir, not happy at all. I hope you find the video of that maiden flight funny, because ol' Rustoleum had his hands full for a minute or so. Laughing

For the next flight I zipped one square hunk of lead to the nose right behind the engine and added only a sip of fuel. I didn't want to be on the business end of a wild pig again. So it flew nicely this time. I was tooling along at fairly extreme speeds doing a few test loops and decided it was time to check the down elevator. I flipped it onto its back getting ready to do an outside loop... I forgot about the sip of gas... and it shut off. Aw crap, I'm going to land upside down and bust off the tail. But the wind blew, the lines went slack. You can see me reaching out to grab an arm full of line about the time the plane went Bonk! Right on its nose. It didn't hit hard, not even what I would call a crash, and I'm glad now because it didn't shear off the tail.

For the next flight I got serious and pumped it up with a full flight of fuel. This was a good flight. I did some decent wingovers, all kinds of loops and it flew like I hoped it would. There are a few issues, but nothing I can't work out. I occasionally feel some sort of flutter through the lines when the breeze hits it. Maybe it's just the covering needing tightening. It's a little loose, but I didn't think much of it. The control rod is braced so I don't think the elevator is fluttering. I'd be interested in what y'all think of that. And it's not as sure footed as the other one while flying inverted. It's harder to control for some reason. I don't know what that might be a symptom of. I'll take opinions on that too. The inside loops are much tighter than my other one. The outside loops are bigger because the bellcrank is restricted. Only surgery can fix that and I wanted to test it before I took such a rash step. I think I'll leave it alone for a while.

So back to the flight. I was having fun now, getting used to the plane, and I started to get a little too cocky. I knew I was wandering around so I started looking for my spot marker and wheel hopped the damn thing... whap! it did a full speed touch and bounce and stop. Damn, and on video too. Again, nothing was hurt, just dirt on the underbelly. So I sprayed it off and reset for another flight.

I got a couple more flights, one of which the engine leaned out after takeoff and I was stuck with a lean slow run that lasted almost 5 minutes. I posted my worries about that in my Norvel thread. I got that flight on video but it's long and boring so I'm not going to bother uploading it. If the grass was taller I would have tried to skid it in to stop it, but i was afraid of busting the plane so I just flew it out. Then I reset and re-needled and it ran fine for the next flight.

So, a pretty good day flying. I was all alone, nary a soul but me at the field today. Hard to believe since the weather was perfect. They like to fly on Sundays though.

Here is the Satan video. I'll post the BFS videos tomorrow. Full screen is enabled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFlZ7TvKKAA&feature=youtu.be

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Videos - Good day flying Empty Re: Videos - Good day flying

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:22 am

Rusty, you got a nice looking line up there. No running out of fun with those. It's always nice when you get days like that. I had one myself. All the fixing and experimenting pays off. As for the flutter, I would check your elevator to stab connection. Make sure you don't have too much play in the hinge or a gap in between as this can certainly cause the resonance your describing not to mention slow the plane down.Cloth hinges can do this if your using those. As soon as it slows, it gets out of the vibration. Try placing a piece of Scotch tape over that space but don't make it too tight as to where the elevator movement is being hindered. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:27 am

Rusty,

It looks all right even with the larger loops. It can't be a whole lot of weight you have to remove.

What was the wind speed like when you were out there? Can't wait to see the BFS video as your writeup sounds exciting.

Alas, we had a cold front blow in yesterday so no flying for me, probably just as well as I had to get my tach race engines done anyway.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:45 am

The wind was about 9mph according to weather.com. It was lighter behind the trees, but when I felt the flutter of the Streak, it was always high and in the same part of the circle.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzyman2011 Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:09 pm

Hey rusty man that Satan hauls ass doesn't it great show I would be well chuffed with that looks great fun nice model and some good flying I live those days when it all goes to plan keep the vids coming good stuff
Dizzyman2011
Dizzyman2011
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks Diz. I have two or three Baby Flite Streak videos to make and upload tonight. Stay tuned.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Ahem....... Video please! lol!

I am under the weather and could use some entertainment! Just kidding Rusty, Take your time.

Maybe all the exhaust from test runs are getting to me. Babe Bee .049
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:26 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Ahem....... Video please! lol!

I am under the weather and could use some entertainment! Just kidding Rusty, Take your time.

Maybe all the exhaust from test runs are getting to me. Babe Bee .049
I just finished making it, but my son is tying up the network so it will take a while. In a few moments I'll post the link to where it will be when it does finish. Sorry you're sick. Take it easy and rest, that's the best way to kick it off.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Yeah, taking the day off tomorrow, I can never sit still. I have been eating soup and drinking hot green tea by the gallon.

Some crud went through our house and at work last week. I was able to hold off for a while, but it got me.

I will check the vid first thing tomorrow.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:17 am

For some reason my video embeds have all quit working. I'm changing them all to links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPkFkxwYvrI

Last edited by RknRusty on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzyman2011 Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:47 am

Awesome vid rusty my heart was in my mouth with the doink moment !! Glad all is well and you got some nice flights hairy maiden eh glad all is weighted now that engine pulls well doesn't it impressive stuff
Dizzyman2011
Dizzyman2011
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:37 am

Yeah, at least it wasn't under power when it doinked. That first flight was a doozey. I have a hard time staying on my feet flying fast circles overhead, but when it keeps wanting to dive 20 feet unexpectedly, it's best not to let it too close to the ground. I learned... not long enough ago, to only use a spit of fuel for a maiden.

The Norvel pulls good, but i think I need to get the RPMs up with a shorter and lower pitched prop that will move the plane at the same speed. I want the engine to ignore high G maneuvers but not pull the plane any faster. I can hear it slow during extended loops. I'll have to experiment now. Ken Cook is skilled at such.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Yeah man! That was a wild ride. I was watching it climb and drop, looked like fun! Affraid or WOW!

Your doink's look pretty much normal to me. I land like that all the time! It flew well the second time. How do you like all that room?

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:08 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Yeah man! That was a wild ride. I was watching it climb and drop, looked like fun! Affraid or WOW!

Your doink's look pretty much normal to me. I land like that all the time! It flew well the second time. How do you like all that room?

Ron
Haha, if by Fun, you mean Harrowing, then yes, it was. I'm so glad it was short. That was identical to the maiden of my other Streak last Spring, but it had too much fuel and I couldn't quite hang on.

I must be getting spoiled, because I was wandering all over the place. On the Li'l Satan flight I could not believe where I was standing after I landed. I try to locate a spot and stay there, keeping my eye on a marker, a t-shirt rag or the concrete center pad. I don't ever stand on the concrete pad. I was a bit unsteady that day. I'm not sure why, I felt fine. But maybe it was the 6 weeks off from flying and I got that rusty. I'll work on that.

I wish I could turn my camera on and just forget about it. But this little flat point and shoot Samsung PL210 turns off the recording every 10 minutes or so. It will hold 27 minutes on an 8 gig card. I wish I had a camcorder.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Yeah lol, I was being facetious about the fun part.

I wish I was spoiled, a couple feet in the wrong direction puts me into the Elm. It needs to be trimmed anyway as it's a little lopsided in my favor. Your camera work looks great! While I don't think it's possible it would be great if it zoomed in from time to time.

Keep up the good work Rusty!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:28 pm

cribbs74 wrote:...While I don't think it's possible it would be great if it zoomed in from time to time...
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'd need another body to help with that. I was the only soul at the field Saturday. Unbelievable, the weather was perfect.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:05 pm

RknRusty wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:...While I don't think it's possible it would be great if it zoomed in from time to time...
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'd need another body to help with that. I was the only soul at the field Saturday. Unbelievable, the weather was perfect.
I thought of suggesting you mount a little key fob cam
on one your planes. Then I thought, watching the video might
spawn some adverse effects. No
Kim might be able to steer you to a small cheapo unit.
What do ya think?
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:34 pm

dckrsn wrote:
RknRusty wrote:
I thought of suggesting you mount a little key fob cam
on one your planes. Then I thought, watching the video might
spawn some adverse effects. No
Kim might be able to steer you to a small cheapo unit.
What do ya think?
Bob

I was thinking of getting one of those cheapo cameras for this purpose, but I think on a 1/2a airplane the weight might be a bit much to have the camera clear of the exhaust.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:15 pm

Yeah, I've been wanting one of those ever since Kim showed us the Bird of time.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:33 am

Rusty --
If you took a video on-board one of your planes, I would have to take a Dramamine before I could watch it. Shocked
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  ado1974 Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:15 pm

i have used this type of cam on a lot of my micro planes and helis

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/808-Keychain-Key-chain-keyring-mini-spy-camera-DVR-649-/180564174368?pt=AU_Home_Personal_Security&hash=item2a0a76a620&_uhb=1#ht_1469wt_1395

even an eflight msr heli(less than 1 oz) can carry one if you strip the cam of its case, although it did effect the flight performance lol!

mounting the cam with minimum vibration is the main thing needed, to get good footage

cheers
a
ado1974
ado1974
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down