Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Shoestring flights - I brought it home! Now, can I do it again? - Page 4 Cox_ba12

Shoestring flights - I brought it home! Now, can I do it again? - Page 4 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by layback209 Yesterday at 11:48 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:44 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Shoestring flights - I brought it home! Now, can I do it again? - Page 4 Empty
Live on Patrol

Shoestring flights - I brought it home! Now, can I do it again?

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Shoestring flights - I brought it home! Now, can I do it again? - Page 4 Empty Re: Shoestring flights - I brought it home! Now, can I do it again?

Post  RknRusty Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:15 am

Mark Boesen wrote:If your gonna use those nylon props be sure to bring to boil then simmer props for 1/2 hour or so.
I can't remember what prop you were running when you were pretty close to dialing it in? Di you ever go back to it?
I like the idea of those wood Top Flite 10x3.5 props, that might make a great set up. I also really think another head gasket might be good.
Yes, I was wondering about boiling them. Definitely will do that. The 10x3 woodys are a hard deal to turn down for $16 bucks. I'll probably go ahead and buy them if the bidding doesn't run amok. Looks like nobody but me is interested or even watching it, so I'll snipe it. 45 hours to go. They might be good for my Fox too.

Early on I was flying with an old style wide MA 9x5 that you gave me. They are unobtainable now, everything has gone narrow these days. I do have a narrow MA 9x5 that I haven't tried, but I figure it'll pull faster than the current narrow 9x4. However, I looked back at a youtube video of me flying the wide 9x5 really rich and it was pulling mid 5s. That is where I want to be, maybe a little faster like 5.1 seconds. But the engine was so rich I couldn't get the same needle setting back to back. I was launching then at 11.6k. That was also on 10% fuel.Huh... 

That prop is all beat up now(could possibly be used, but not safely), but just yesterday I found a wide 9x4 I forgot I had, another one you gave me. It's been mounted on the Fox all this time. Maybe the wide ones fly slower. I'll slap it on and see what it does on Saturday. Trouble is, if it gets mauled, it can't be replaced. The good news is, I'm probably past the prop mauling stage. And since then I have flipped the NV so the nipple is on the top and the fuel line is a lot shorter. That greatly improved starting and adjusting. So maybe the solution is staring me in the face. Does it make sense that a wide prop would be slower than a narrow one? If I put that one on and peg the lap times, I'm going to feel awfully dumb. I've been fumbling like a moron since I started this project.

When I get back from Saturday's fly-in, I'll file another flight report. Thanks for being patient and continuing to give me advice. Sometimes I think too much, and you're right, I need to log my results.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Shoestring flights - I brought it home! Now, can I do it again? - Page 4 Empty Re: Shoestring flights - I brought it home! Now, can I do it again?

Post  RknRusty Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:20 am

Admin wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:
Admin wrote:I can run up to Hub Hobby to see if they have any 9x3 props. You know, its basically a straight shot up the road from me.
Hey Jacob,

Could you see if Hub has 5-6" x2.5 props?
I'll check for those too. I want to say I seen APC 5.5x2.5 props up there at one time.
Those and also the APC 6x2s are good for pattern practice. I've been flying my Tee Dee in the church yard on the 6x2. It still hauls ass on the Norvel, but it's actually pretty slow on the Tee Dee. Get some of the brass APC hub spacers from Ken. Those are great.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:03 am

I passed the APC bushing design onto a friend of mine. He's been more than helpful to the Cox community in providing some very intricate aluminum machined items. The prop bushing can also be purchased in bulk. He can be contacted through Ebay if more than one is required. I made about 30 of these to start and have pretty much gave them all away. These bushings work directly in the rear of some of the APC props, but certain sizes have a larger hole and the bushing will still work but will require one of the plastic APC bushings to work with it. Here's the link for anyone interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/APC-Prop-Bushing-for-1-2-A-Props-Brass-Propeller-Bushing-/310755739744?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item485a7c4860 Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:19 am

Ken,

Those, spacers look like quality pieces. I wonder if he combines shipping?

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:35 pm

Ron, you can contact him through Ebay and tell him I sent you. He's a real good guy. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Lower compression, 9x4 prop, 10% nitro; that's the recipe. Five flights, 5 second laps, mostly good takeoffs, one really good landing:

Flight 1. Too lean, un-stuntable

Flight 2. Slightly richer, launch at 11,900 - 12,000 RPMs, over leans when I make turns, a few stunts, a few aborts and greased a nice tail wind landing.

Flight 3. (Video)1/8 turn richer, about 11,800 RPMs, and it only over leans when I pull too tight loops, but I fly a full pattern, although the H8s and OH8s were too tight and ugly, but complete.

Flight 4. Same needle, opened up loops and 8s, full pattern and I'll be happy to fly that well in Huntersville.

Intermission. ARF RC guy arrives and I turn the field over to him and take a break.

Flight 5. (Video) Getting late and I hurry. Same needle and RPM, this is to be the crown jewel of the day. Long rolling takeoff and noticed the stooge line wrapping around my ankles. I flew and kicked and flailed my feet and flew and kicked. I did a few distracted goofy stunts but never got the line off until I finally popped it after the OH8 which was a total botch. The ARF guy congratulates me on an amazingly skillful flight. I asked him if he saw me kicking at the stooge line, and he said, "Yeah, there's no rule against that is there?" I'm glad he was impressed. This one will make a comical video.

I hope the wind is blowing in Hville. Last week I had trouble with loose wingovers and OH8s with no tailwind. One more inch of pitch might be the cure for that if it comes down to it. My overhead 8s need to get consistently bigger. I'm still turning too soon up there. Did one good one today though.

I'll make the movie this evening.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:37 pm

Cool Rusty. Are you happy? It's nice to fly without having to concentrate on problems. Looking forward to the video.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Sounds like a good day! Looking forward to video.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:32 pm

Hey guys, here's the first video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW4G4jIKVsQ&feature=youtu.be

This flight is still a tad lean. The next flight was needled on the money, and I didn't have any unnerving coughs. It was still the best I've caught on camera though.

As for the comedy of the stooges, I'll put it together tonight.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:24 pm

Well shoot Rusty, that was a darn good flight/run. You say a tad lean, but it sounded near perfect.

You loops are getting nice and big! Very nice! From what I have heard the judges like it. Once you get those 8's opened up you will get some good points.

Not criticizing as my 8's look similar. While I can keep the loops large my intersections still need work.

I am so happy you got a nice run and just flew a clean pattern. Looking forward to the next video.

Your hard work is paying off! cheers 

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:17 pm

The next one is uploading now. I put my dance kicks to some tunes!lol! 
Give it about 25 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo-rSCKgnUE&feature=youtu.be

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:19 pm

I LOVE the video suggestions coming up with these videos. Completely out of place stuff..

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:47 pm

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Weird. It's not loading for me. Says it's not available on this platform...
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:05 pm

Well crud, it's no different from the other one. I don't know.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:07 pm

Try re-booting your phone.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:08 pm

Yeah, funny thing is I also skipped the link and went straight to your videos. I can watch all your videos except that one. I'll keep trying.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:12 pm

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Nope, dumped all my cookies cleared all the webdata and rebooted the phone. No love....

Have to try and remember all my passwords now lol! 
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:23 pm

Well dang, that's a pretty good video. Maybe it'll work tomorrow.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:24 pm

RknRusty wrote:Well dang, that's a pretty good video. Maybe it'll work tomorrow.
Hope so!

Thanks for messing around with it though.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:31 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Cool Rusty. Are you happy? It's nice to fly without having to concentrate on problems. Looking forward to the video.
I just started reading this thread, up to "this post" tonight... and had to comment. Rusty... I was right with ya' man... when that stooge string was wrapping around your ankle Affraid or WOW!... and you had the S.S. all dialed-in... cool as a cucumber! Apparently there's video of this, that I haven't seen yet... Isn't it amazing how those things happen... and when they happen... I would give one of my engines; to have been the "R/C" guy there...!!! It just goes to show... a machete should be added to the pilots tools; center circle.

Last edited by RknRusty on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed smiley)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:51 pm

Rusty... I just watched the vid... the "stooge" vid... Women will want to be with you... "I" want to "be" you...

lol!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:13 am

Cribbs74 wrote:
RknRusty wrote:Well dang, that's a pretty good video. Maybe it'll work tomorrow.
Hope so!

Thanks for messing around with it though.
You know what... it doesn't matter. You probably couldn't see me kicking and flailing on the phone anyway.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:16 am

roddie wrote:Rusty... I just watched the vid... the "stooge" vid... Women will want to be with you... "I" want to "be" you...

lol!
Haha, I'm a star!

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next