Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Tribute to 1505 East Warner Avenue Cox_ba12

Tribute to 1505 East Warner Avenue Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 19:19

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 18:52

» need info on this
by lla Today at 17:19

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 14:49

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 12:17

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 11:15

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 9:00

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 8:51

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:30

» "SOLD OUT" Cox .020 silencers -- currently
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Tribute to 1505 East Warner Avenue Empty
Live on Patrol

Tribute to 1505 East Warner Avenue

Go down

Tribute to 1505 East Warner Avenue Empty Tribute to 1505 East Warner Avenue

Post  balogh Wed 9 Oct 2013 - 22:24

I originally wanted to post here a photo my wife shot today as a quiz, but did not manage posting it so excuse my ignorance on editing blogs.

The question under the photo would have read:anybody knows where the photo was shot? Many of you could have snapped the right answer especially those of you living in LA.

I am on a 2-weeks vacation from Budapest with my family visiting California, Nevada and Arizona on a fly and drive tour, and one of the first things I wanted to visit in greater LA is 1505 East Warner Avenue in Santa Ana where the majority of all COX engines still screaming today somewhere accross the globe (including my hometown Budapest)have been manufactured by the late and great Leroy M COX.

I made it on the first day of my stay in LA, and talked to some of the officers of the present owner of the building. The company the former COX factory accommodates today is County of Orange,  Social Services Agency (Adult Services, Special Services, as the front window advertises) and a lady I talked to remembered the previous industry there was a "toy factory".

While I am not eligible for any social services in the USA, my visit to this place  brought definitely a value for me.

Sorry for this not quite thrilling thread entry, but I wanted to let you know there are adamant and notorious COX worshippers in Europe who make it a point to visit the former COX factory when they are around, even before visiting other spectacular vistas that abound in LA.

One might ask what the point of visiting a defunct factory is? Well, I do  not really know but it was a great feeling to stand in front of the building where all my belowed COX engines were once made...like passing the maternity hospital where your kids were once born...am I too childish?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Tribute to 1505 East Warner Avenue Empty Re: Tribute to 1505 East Warner Avenue

Post  Mark Boesen Wed 9 Oct 2013 - 22:48

Nope, not at all. Just like you'd stop to see President Lincoln's home in Springfield, Il or any historic place of your interests.
Tribute to 1505 East Warner Avenue 6fe21110Tribute to 1505 East Warner Avenue Poinse11Tribute to 1505 East Warner Avenue Poinse12

Last edited by Mark Boesen on Wed 9 Oct 2013 - 23:08; edited 1 time in total
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed 9 Oct 2013 - 23:06

opps, wrong era.
Tribute to 1505 East Warner Avenue 63fron10Tribute to 1505 East Warner Avenue Santa_10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed 9 Oct 2013 - 23:13

Yep, exactly the building where I was standing today in a tropical downpour that almost paralysed highway traffic in LA and followed me even onto the desert town of Palm Springs... I was wondering if a COX memorial placard or tableau was placed somewhere on the building but I could not find any and decided to leave before security believed I was malevolent...sic transit gloria mundi....
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Wed 9 Oct 2013 - 23:59

Where are you going in Arizona? There is a 1/2a twin engine scale control line contest in Tuscon this weekend.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu 10 Oct 2013 - 2:28

Hi Balogh, I hope you have fun touring the area. I trust you'll find it much more pleasant and civilized than what I imagine you might see on the news shows back home. I think it's great that you stopped to be in the old Cox plant.
Maybe some Cox ghosts got a thrill from your visit.lol!

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu 10 Oct 2013 - 9:21

Thanks for the replies folks...I will be in Phoenix/Scottsdale today but continue my escape from the rainy weather to the Nationalk Parks ( Death Valley, Yosemitee and Grand Canyon, BTW all are closed due to the 2014 budget debates of the Congress as you all know) but still hope to continue having fun in the coming 14 days. My last vacation days will again see me in LA and I plan to re-visit Santa Ana to meet some COX ghosts there...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Thu 10 Oct 2013 - 10:49

balogh wrote:Thanks for the replies folks...I will be in Phoenix/Scottsdale today but continue my escape from the rainy weather to the Nationalk Parks ( Death Valley, Yosemitee and Grand Canyon, BTW all are closed due to the 2014 budget debates of the Congress as you all know) but still hope to continue having fun in the coming 14 days. My last vacation days will again see me in LA and I plan to re-visit Santa Ana to meet some COX ghosts there...
It's a beautiful rainy cool day in Scottsdale today! Thanks for bringing it with you!

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu 10 Oct 2013 - 16:17

"One might ask what the point of visiting a defunct factory is? Well, I do  not really know but it was a great feeling to stand in front of the building where all my beloved COX engines were once made...like passing the maternity hospital where your kids were once born...am I too childish?"

Sounds like time excellently spent to me....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Thu 10 Oct 2013 - 19:58

balogh wrote:................
One might ask what the point of visiting a defunct factory is? Well, I do  not really know but it was a great feeling to stand in front of the building where all my belowed COX engines were once made...like passing the maternity hospital where your kids were once born...am I too childish?
The fact that we fly small planes with "little" engines is considered childish by many. I like the engines because of the nostalgia associated with my youth and the enjoyment that it brings today. History is part of the hobby for me.

Thanks for sharing your visit with us.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu 10 Oct 2013 - 21:22

balogh wrote:Thanks for the replies folks...I will be in Phoenix/Scottsdale today but continue my escape from the rainy weather to the Nationalk Parks ( Death Valley, Yosemitee and Grand Canyon, BTW all are closed due to the 2014 budget debates of the Congress as you all know) but still hope to continue having fun in the coming 14 days. My last vacation days will again see me in LA and I plan to re-visit Santa Ana to meet some COX ghosts there...
That just sucks that you came all this way to visit our country and our selfish children in the Capitol cause you to have an abbreviated experience. Those places you aren't getting to see are spectacular.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat 12 Oct 2013 - 8:26

RknRusty wrote:
That just sucks that you came all this way to visit our country and our selfish children in the Capitol cause you to have an abbreviated experience. Those places you aren't getting to see are spectacular.
Rusty
Thanks, Rusty, my pleas may heva been heard on the Capitol Hill: I am at Grand Canyon Southern Rim now and news just came this National Park opens up today...I hope many of the other parks will follow. You guys live in a beautiful country that offers us Europeans amazing spectacularities wherever we look.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat 12 Oct 2013 - 8:37

andrew wrote:
balogh wrote:................
The fact that we fly small planes with "little" engines is considered childish by many.  I like the engines because of the nostalgia associated with my youth and the enjoyment that it brings today.  History is part of the hobby for me.

Thanks for sharing your visit with us.

andrew
I often have passers by and people walking their dogs in the field where I fly stand by and look at what I, a mid-fifties guy with my greyish temple am doing sitting by the side of my respectably large car and fuellling my ridiculously small plane and see they sometimes smile at me doing the childish thing....but when the TeeDee051 or even the TeeDee010 starts screaming at +20k rpm, their face immediately changes and reflects the sudden understanding this is far too more of a serious thing than what they thought it was. And their amazement only grows further to see how that tiny engine pulls the plane up in a steep inclination angle at a speed of 40mph then into loops and inverted fly...well you all know that feeling of making the impression ....
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat 12 Oct 2013 - 10:46

RknRusty wrote: Those places you aren't getting to see are spectacular.
Rusty
I had the chance to visit several National parks during a holiday in the US in 1990. I visited Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion NP, Dinosaur NP, Mesa Verde, Monument valley and Yellowstone. What impressed me in particular is the size of everything. That makes it so unique. Suddenly, you find yourself so tiny. In Europe, there are canyons, hot water geysers, or calcite springs like Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone but the scales are much more limited.

If you are interested in nature in all its forms and shapes, visiting the US is worth the ocean crossing. I couldn't believe it until I saw it myself. When I was sailing, I was more times in the US than I can count on hands and feet, but you don't get to know the country. I remember the Golden Gate, Alcatraz, the Verazzano Narrows bridge and freezing New York with the Statue of Liberty surrounded by scaffolding, a scary dentist in Corpus Christi and some far away island-with-berth near Seattle. Oh, and Bourbon Street in New Orléans, that wasn't too bad!!

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down