Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Cox_ba12

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:49 pm

» need info on this
by lla Today at 2:18 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 12:33 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 12:17 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 11:15 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 9:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 8:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:30 am

» "SOLD OUT" Cox .020 silencers -- currently
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Empty
Live on Patrol

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor

Go down

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Empty Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor

Post  hingeman Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:38 pm

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor
Post  hingeman Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:29 pm

I've been trying to restore my Big Comanche air plane that's almost done except the rear elevator wing is missing. It's easily lost because it's only held on with one little screw. I bought a pair of wings because the tip was broke off the original so I am thinking of trying to cut one out of the broken wing that is left over. All I need is measurements or even better would be a traced pattern but that's a lot to ask. I've already replaced the wings, motor mount, rubber wheels, freed up the engine that was seized up and a general cleanup. This has been on my to do list for a long time now. I've had it since I was kid back in the 60's. I have pics of what I need except no measurements. Does it seem like this is a doable project? New ones are expensive IF you can even find one. Does anyone have a Big Comanche airplane that they could measure for me? Thanks   Scott
hingeman
hingeman
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Empty Re: Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor

Post  Marleysky Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:33 pm

The best I can offer:

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Scree225
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Empty Re: Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:45 pm

@hingeman, my comments are in addition to @Marleysky's regarding the model's debut in early 1960's along with photo and Cox Sportsman .15 (I don't have one). May be @Mark Boesen has one? That aircraft, although wonderful among Cox offerings, apparently did not sell as well as the smaller RTF's and was short lived. Regarding fabricating your own parts, I did that back in high school in the early 1970's.

I purchased from Gemco (forerunner to stores like Target and Walmart) in Waipahu, Oahu, Hawaii a Cox .049 P-51B turtledeck RTF parts plane during their tent sale. I think I paid $2.00 for it then. It was new and complete with postage stamp back engine and 3 bladed prop, but was missing the box, bottom rear half of the fuselage and movable elevator but was otherwise complete with wing.

At home, I fabricated out of 1/16" thick balsa, a new elevator fastened with cloth hinges, halves with music wire, and a new rear bottom fuselage section. It was squared off instead of the scale round corners for simplicity. I used a standard half-A control horn to a new pushrod I bent out of 3/64th music wire to the factory bellcrank. I sealed the wood with sanding sealer, then painted the balsa parts with olive drab paint reasonably close to the mold plastic color.

When done, now I had a functional plane and was pleased with my results.

It's up to you how far you want to go, but I gather you are probably right, it would be nearly impossible to find the factory repair parts for your plane now. A few here have done as you are thinking to do, manufacturing their own parts to have a complete and representative RTF.

Regarding patterns, on Outerzone doing a search on "Comanche", did find two CL models of 36" wingspan that should be closer to what you have.

Outerzone Plan# 9122 - 36in Robbe Piper Comanche CL
Outerzone Plan# 7234 - 36in Aeropiccola Piper Comanche 1958

You could scale the elevator accordingly, and use theirs as a pattern. The telltale sign would be the factory width of the elevator, using that dimension instead of true scaling dimension. It ought to reasonably bring you close to what you are attempting to achieve.

Take your time and imagination, and I think you'll come up with a suitable solution to restoring your Cox Piper Comanche. Good luck, George
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:18 pm

Wanted to add that there is currently one on E-Bay with just under two days left, starting bid $500 US:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144809847000 HUGE COX 32" W/S .15 NITRO/GAS PIPER PA-24 COMANCHE C/L FLYING MODEL BEAUTIFUL!

The photos can be downloaded, so you have a reasonable idea on how the elevator should look.

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  S-l50010
E-Bay photo, top view.

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  S-l50011
E-Bay photo, rear left quarter view.

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  S-l50012
E-Bay photo, rear right quarter view.

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  S-l50013
E-Bay photo, underside view.

Using photo editing software, one can remove perspective distortion to give a truer top or bottom view. I think these photos will give you an idea of how your elevator should look. From what I can see in the photos, apparently the whole elevator was articulated to give up and down instead of front part fixed and rear part moving.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Empty "Tribute to Mom"

Post  hingeman Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:07 pm

Thanks "Marleysky"and "Galloping Ghostler" for taking the time to reply. A lot of good suggestions!
I have pictures of my collection that I posted in 2015. I couldn't figure out how to add it here but if you search "Tribute to Mom (cox employee in the early sixties)" you can see my little collection. Thanks again for your help. Scott
hingeman
hingeman
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:22 pm

hingeman wrote:Thanks "Marleysky"and "Galloping Ghostler" for taking the time to reply. A lot of good suggestions!
I have pictures of my collection that I posted in 2015. I couldn't figure out how to add it here but if you search "Tribute to Mom (cox employee in the early sixties)" you can see my little collection. Thanks again for your help. Scott
Found it, CEF: Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties)
hingeman on Apr 21, 2015 wrote:Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Img_1412
Nice tribute to your mother in helping you grow up and appreciate things. Leaves
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down