Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Survivor Showcase" Cox_ba12

"Survivor Showcase" Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Prayers for my Wife Please
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:59 am

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:42 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by DanMc Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 4:31 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Yesterday at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Survivor Showcase" Empty
Live on Patrol

"Survivor Showcase"

Go down

"Survivor Showcase" Empty "Survivor Showcase"

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:28 am

Reading the current issue of "Air Classics" magazine this morning I dwelled on the "Bone yard" pictures and thought that I should gather all the survivors that I have actually flown and snap a picture.  Bet everyone here would like to do the same.

Kim's threads always get me thinking.  

At great personal risk, climbing ladders and investigating the dark reaches of my loft at 82 I retrieved all of my model airplane survivor planes that I have actually flown over the past 40 years.  There are others that didn't make it, The Lil' Bipe and Zipper are standouts but there were others too.  First flown was the P-38, last one was the Ringmaster Jr'.  forget which one.

Edit add:  Thinking about it, the Ringmaster Jr on the right was the first one I flew, Mark was about 5 0r 6 at the time and he "helped" me fly it.  He's 57 now.  

Only the Cox Corsair and the Ringmaster Jr. on the left are "new."  All the others are at least 40 maybe 50 years old, some rebuilt many times.  

"Survivor Showcase" P1010167
"Survivor Showcase" P1010168

On my "Bucket List" are these three, hopefully I will put them in the air this Spring/Summer.

"Survivor Showcase" P1010169

Then there are others that I will never fly left for son's grandson's etc.

"Survivor Showcase" P1010171

I would love to see others here tag on photos of their "Survivors".

PS: I was kidding about that "Great personal risk" thing. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

"Survivor Showcase" Empty Re: "Survivor Showcase"

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:05 am

Bob,

I am not seeing a Ringmaster Jr. I see 2 baby Ringmasters. Am I missing something?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:36 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Bob,

I am not seeing a Ringmaster Jr. I see 2 baby Ringmasters. Am I missing something?

No your not.   Embarassed

I must have been combining Space Bug Jr.'s.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:41 am

My current fleet of COX powered RC birds...almost all in active service..as my Status near my avatar describes, these are the examples of my efforts to build, fly and retain at least one lasting RC plane for all the COX calibers I have in 010,020,049,09 sizes...except for 2 larger planes not pictured here, i.e. the Denight 50 and Acro Won, both powered by  4-stroker OS Max 56 FS alpha engines, I do not really build and fly planes with other power plants than COX..
"Survivor Showcase" 20200215
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ricksrod Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:54 pm

What a wonderful collection. I bet each one has a special story to tell!! Thanks for sharing.
Ricksrod
Ricksrod
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:18 pm

Nice Andras, I followed a couple of those builds and flights but must have missed the red Das Little Stick look alike.

I admire your dedication to Cox and visits to their old buildings.

No really old builds, or didn't you save them?

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:23 pm

Thank you - if you meant my collection - these are all very important planes. I built them all in rather rudimentary conditions (on the kitchen platform making bargains with my wife Very Happy ). Then maidened them and taught them to fly ..always with the engines and their performance in the focus of my main interest...something to do with my childhood when COX stuff was more dreams than reality for me.. Some of the planes - the most active ones- have already gone through some overhauls to mend the battleground scars inflicted on them while flying in unkempt fields...but I think I am just one of the many enthusiasts here on CEF with similar relationship to their toys. RC Plane
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:29 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Nice Andras,  I followed a couple of those builds and flights but must have missed the red Das Little Stick look alike.  

I admire your dedication to Cox and visits to their old buildings.  

No really old builds, or didn't you save them?

Bob

Thanks Bob..some of the old builds were lost in the bush near the field I fly, some others just did not survive unplanned landings..I returned to the hobby 10 years ago and have built planes in the last 9 or so... and the Roaring 20, the Toucan and the Lil Roughneck are near 5 or so years old . Even the Cosmic Wind is older than 3. These are not old planes but have been with me for almost half of my recent hobby time.

The Little Stick is not quite active, however I posted a short video on youtube on its maiden.

Last edited by balogh on Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:36 pm

Ricksrod wrote:What a wonderful collection. I bet each one has a special story to tell!! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks if you meant me.  Probably both.

The red white and blue plane is scratch built with the wing being the horizontal stab from a crashed R/C plane.  The engine is an Enya .15 with ganged throttle/flaps. Flys crazy.

P-38 is scratch built mostly to scale and flys well.  P-40 is from a kit and the only plane I actually did stunts with including inverted flight.  Love that plane.  The Nieuport 28 is from a kit and is a wonderful flier too.  My son has flown it.  One errr….. Baby Ringmaster is from a kit, the other scratched with a SIG airfoil wing.  The R/C plane (Sterling Fledgling) is the only one I have left.  Others have gone to R/C heaven.  But I have another that Kim gave me centuries ago that I have yet to fly.

Most have been told about here before.

Hopefully others will chime in. I know that Roddie and others here have a bunch.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Bob yours is a fantastic collection too and these birds are in very good condition and gracefully stored with your engines and other stuff..I do not have yet a dedicated room in our house where my 70+ COX engines and my fleet could be decently laid out...now that our kids have moved out and left us with my ole lady to share a big house I will conquere my own space under the roof eventually..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:09 pm

Thanks Andras, when the last of our brood moved out (Mark to the Navy) my wife and I had a custom house built. Five levels, beautiful but no place to pound a nail or saw a board without disturbing something. But I love this place. Woodworking shed, detached four car garage, two car attached, loft, finished basement. Just a comfortable old farm house with lots of room where I can make a mess if I want to.

Forgot about describing the Cox Corsair. Forgettable, very forgettable.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  DrCox Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:44 pm

Well Bob, not quite the impressive surviving display as yours, however I still possess the second free flight model that I built back in 1976. After reading Roy Clough Jr's plan on building a round wing Hoop Skirt in Popular Mechanics, I was hooked.

"Survivor Showcase" OMakktN

The first one I built was back in 1971 and was as heavy as a brick and obviously did not fly. It was powered by the Cox .020 Pee Wee which set me back for a total of $6.98.

"Survivor Showcase" LaKx3N2

My second attempt was finished during our nation's bicentennial and it flew several flights. Look at the amount of forward weight that I added to the nacelle to have it balanced. That weight was nothing but melted solder shaped and cooled in a bottle cap. Once again, the forward center of gravity was secondary to poor building habits. I still have that "Bicentennial Hoopskirt" as pictured below.

"Survivor Showcase" JQ8uJg5

Unfortunately as the years passed, the round wing Hoop Skirt slowly lost it's shape, as have I. Needless to say, it was a wonderful introduction to free flight models and Cox engines.

"Survivor Showcase" VkpE8tA
DrCox
DrCox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:09 pm

Thanks for picking up on this Doc. I would like to see others chime in with their "survivors."

New projects are fine but there is nothing like seeing model planes that have passed the test of time. I think that's mostly Kim's fleet, and he's still flying and showing them.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:40 am

Is this supposed to be a thread where we show off models that flew at least once and survived in flying condition until now? Or just survived at least one flight?
Either way, I'll present my showcase on the weekend.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:01 am

dirk gently wrote:Is this supposed to be a thread where we show off models that flew at least once and survived in flying condition until now? Or just survived at least one flight?
Either way, I'll present my showcase on the weekend.

"Survivors Showcase"  Kim coined the term.  

I guess even one flight qualifies as a survivor.  But I was thinking airplanes that you had flown as a child or sometime in the distant past.  Something not quite pristine, repaired maybe etc..  Battle scars so to speak, but anything is welcome.

What got me started was this article in Air Classics Magazine.  Pages of derelict prop driven airliners.  

"Survivor Showcase" P1010173

Which got me to thinking about all the prop driven airliners that I had flown in.  

First was a Douglas DC-3 from Baltimore to Boston via Eastern Airlines in 1956.  Actually the first time I had ever flown.

"Survivor Showcase" Dc-3_e10

Second was a Lockheed Super Constellation from Pensacola to Boston with wife and daughter probably 1958,

"Survivor Showcase" Super_14

Return trip Boston to Pensacola was a Douglas DC-6.

"Survivor Showcase" Dc-6_e10

I have also flown on four engine high wing turbo props and pure jets but they were mostly forgettable experiences.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:04 am

Ah, I think I'll pass then, I don't have any model that survived more than a year or so Very Happy
I even scrapped all my electrics this season.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:08 am

dirk gently wrote:Ah, I think I'll pass then, I don't have any model that survived more than a year or so Very Happy
I even scrapped all my electrics this season.

Ah, show off.  Gather all your models together and snap a picture.  

You have built some fascinating airplanes.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:40 am

I know I have vintage pictures ,just gotta find them. Probably on my old Windows98 computer hard drive! Go find my “wayback” machine!

Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:51 am

Marleysky wrote:I know I have vintage pictures ,just gotta find them. Probably on my old Windows98 computer hard drive!  Go find my “wayback” machine!

I have albums upon albums of photographs taken with my old Pentax 35mm and other cameras that go back 70+ years. But like you I have pictures on my old NEC that I can't recover and many more on my recently crashed HP. I'm just lucky because I kept a few of my old models that I can take current pictures of.

Post your pictures. Kim and I are probably the most prolific picture posters here and they haven't thrown us off the forum...…...............…….yet.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:11 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
Marleysky wrote:I know I have vintage pictures ,just gotta find them. Probably on my old Windows98 computer hard drive!  Go find my “wayback” machine!

Post your pictures.  Kim and I are probably the most prolific picture posters here and they haven't thrown us off the forum...…...............…….yet.  

Bob

Oh shoot---I hope not!!!!!  PLEASE let me stay here...if not for myself...for the sake of all those other innocent victims that will face the overflow of my memory lane rattling!

As it is, I'm gonna do "installments" on this great thread Bob has started, using these as a way of organizing some of the mound of stuff that's gone on over the years...toward that day when tagged folders may entertain me in the old folks home.

Anyway, here's a dose:
---------------------------------------------
Back in the 1980's (or maybe 90's...it's all starting to meld), my flying bud Neal and I got a couple of the newly released Cox R/C PT-19's.  Made of molded foam, these are good-looking planes, with moderate performance from it's .049 Ranger (coincidentally, also the name of the full scale PT's engine).

We DID experience problems with getting the CG correct...even moving all the gear as far forward as we could, the model was still a bit tail-heavy, and would snap inverted if it's pilot got too frisky with pitch input.  A chunk of lead ballast fixed the problem, but gave the .049 still more weight to drag through the sky.  

I finally decided to "make the ballast work", and bolted a Medallion RC .09 to it's snout, spaced forward by a block of ply, and fed by a metal wedge tank suspended behind the firewall.  The .09 was the exhaust band type, and worked really well...helping with the balance problem, AND turning the PT into a mean little ankle biter.

Neal followed suit...though his may have been powered by an O.S. .10, and we put on many impromptu Sunday pylon races, or dog fights (often during the same flight), with both planes amazingly surviving our crazy flying.

I'd like to get my old relic going for this year's S.M.A.L.L., again with it's .09 engine.  The foam has survived in great shape, but the harder plastic parts are turning into cookie crumbs and will take some shoring up to be airworthy.

"Survivor Showcase" 3_65

"Survivor Showcase" 5_127
"Survivor Showcase" 10_118
"Survivor Showcase" 15_25

I've got the canopies and roll-over structure tucked away somewhere...they'll get stuck on it if I can find them---

"Survivor Showcase" 20_21
"Survivor Showcase" 30_19

"Survivor Showcase" 35_110
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:58 pm

Found one picture of my 1960"s era "Model Workshop" old black and white photo. Look close, you can see a Double VooDoo one on the bench, one hanging on the wall,   Goldberg 1/2A Blazer, the fuse and tail feathers of a Spitfire hanging on the pegboard,  with the Lil Wizzard on the bench is the SURVIVOR, as I still have it.  the McCoy 19 on the pegboard was for the VooDoo, and I still have it and the Balsa skeletons of the VooDoo's
"Survivor Showcase" Baseme10

check out that overhead "shoplight" Ha-ha

Last edited by Marleysky on Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Blazer not ranger (CRS))
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:50 am

Marleysky wrote:

check out that overhead "shoplight" Ha-ha

It obviously got the job done!!!

Great Photo!