Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Cox_ba12

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Today at 3:45 am

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by latole Today at 3:20 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:59 am

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:42 am

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Yesterday at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Empty
Live on Patrol

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor

Go down

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Empty Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor

Post  hingeman Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:29 pm

I've been trying to restore my Big Comanche air plane that's almost done except the rear elevator wing is missing. It's easily lost because it's only held on with one little screw. I bought a pair of wings because the tip was broke off the original so I am thinking of trying to cut one out of the broken wing that is left over. All I need is measurements or even better would be a traced pattern but that's a lot to ask. I've already replaced the wings, motor mount, rubber wheels, freed up the engine that was seized up and a general cleanup. This has been on my to do list for a long time now. I've had it since I was kid back in the 60's. I have pics of what I need except no measurements. Does it seem like this is a doable project? New ones are expensive IF you can even find one. Does anyone have a Big Comanche airplane that they could measure for me? Thanks   Scott

Last edited by hingeman on Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
hingeman
hingeman
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Empty Re: Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor

Post  rsv1cox Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:26 pm

Anything is doable Scott. Sounds like an interesting project. Got pictures?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Empty Re: Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor

Post  Admin Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:24 pm

I'm sure someone on here has one and could help you out.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:30 pm

Be patient and ask here regularly. Sometimes things get lost in the daily shuffle. That way everyone sees what you are asking for. Pretty sure someone on here has a spare.

Pictures?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:48 pm

Shame you didn't ask this two weeks ago. I just packed up my Comanche for our move, and most likely won't have access to it again until January.

The Mover Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:49 pm

batjac wrote:Shame you didn't ask this two weeks ago. I just packed up my Comanche for our move, and most likely won't have access to it again until January.

The Mover Mark

Where are you moving to Mark?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  hingeman Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:49 am

rsv1cox wrote:Anything is doable Scott.  Sounds like an interesting project.  Got pictures?
I don't have any new pictures but to see my little collection look at my old post "Tribute to Mom (cox employee in the early sixties)". Thanks  Scott
hingeman
hingeman
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:10 am

getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:37 am

Thanks Eric for the quick link.

And Scott, I missed your post back in 2015.  Nice collection especially the Curtis Pusher and everyones favorite, the Stuka.  Do you remember if the Cox Mercedes came with the yellow stripe or if it was added later?

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Hingem10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  hingeman Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:22 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Thanks Eric for the quick link.

And Scott, I missed your post back in 2015.  Nice collection especially the Curtis Pusher and everyones favorite, the Stuka.  Do you remember if the Cox Mercedes came with the yellow stripe or if it was added later?

Thanks rsv1cox.The yellow stripe was a rubber band holding the suspension together. We were kids that used the cars and planes and loved every minute of them. That's one reason they are so special now. The other is because it's a connection to Mom. RIP     Scott
hingeman
hingeman
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:07 pm

Like that Spook!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:18 pm

[quote="rsv1cox"]Thanks Eric for the quick link.

And Scott, I missed your post back in 2015.  Nice collection especially the Curtis Pusher and everyones favorite, the Stuka.  Do you remember if the Cox Mercedes came with the yellow stripe or if it was added later

Thanks rsv1cox.The yellow stripe was a rubber band holding the suspension together. We were kids that used the cars and planes and loved every minute of them

Not hard to imagine.  The front suspensions were quite fragile.  In fact the whole thing was a better display model than a workable tether car.  That said, I did have some fun with mine as it slowly disintergrated as it went around the track.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:57 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Where are you moving to Mark?

About 135 miles east of you. Tomorrow we're putting down earnest money on a new construction house in Broken Arrow.

The Roamin' Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  hingeman Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:17 am

hingeman wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Thanks Eric for the quick link.

Thanks rsv1cox.The yellow stripe was a rubber band holding the suspension together. We were kids that used the cars and planes and loved every minute of them. That's one reason they are so special now. The other is because it's a connection to Mom. RIP     Scott
rsv1cox, I did do a cleanup on the Mercedes since then. The post was called "Mercedes cleanup" back in 2015 as well. I don't know how to put a link up for it or I would. I did end up repairing the front suspension though. No more yellow rubber band!    Scott
hingeman
hingeman
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Original owner of a Big Comanche survivor  Empty Hello Scott and Comanche elevator replacement ideas

Post  jmendoza Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:18 pm

I used to live on the border of Santa Ana and Orange off Fairhaven. A friend of mine told me his mom worked at Cox, and like you, she got free planes for him and his brother. They lived off Dodge street, a few blocks from my home. I can still remember he had a beautiful Turquoise and cream Comanche, in the box, un-flown with the pilot and passenger figurines. He was not a modeler, and really did not have much interest in Cox stuff, but showed it to me because I was such a hobby nut. He also told me you could go to Cox and get a free tour of the facilities and some swag as well, but alas, I could never talk my parents into to taking me.

We lived on a long street that curved very slightly. Back in those days most everyone parked in the garage or driveway, so we were able to run Prop Rods and Shrikes in the gutter as the curve in the street kept them from running across the street. Occasionally they would hit a puddle of water and hydroplane or cut out. We flew PT-19s, Stukas, and P-40s in the cul-du-sac, and never hit a car or the telephone lines, but busted up a bunch of planes!

About a replacement Comanche elevator: Every high school today usually has a 3D printing class, and they could easily replicate that elevator by 3D printing it. Many types of plastic, in a rainbow of colors are available, so it should be quite simple to do, especially if you have an old one, or good pictures of one. Many scale hobbyists also have 3D printers for doing cockpit and engine details.

Jay

jmendoza
jmendoza
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hingeman Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi Jay, It's a small world and cox memories are great memories! During that span of time, we lived on Oak street in Santa Ana three houses away from an orange grove. Lots of things for kids to do and/or get in trouble. It was like they only cleared out what they had to of the grove because we had one orange tree in front and about six or so in the back yard. Good times.
As far as I remember, the elevator was only held on by one little screw. Unfortunately, It got lost somewhere in about a 50 year time span and two moves to Arkansas. I can't believe that the rest of the cars and planes survived as good as they did in the back of a 1964 chevy pickup and camper shell especially the Curtiss Pusher! My dad was a good packer. The only good pic I have of the elevator is not to scale and I would be guessing at the size. At this point, I'm not even sure how I would cut the old wing that I have but sooner or later, I'll give it a try. Thanks for sharing your Cox memories.
Scott
hingeman
hingeman
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:00 am

Scott,

I have access to 3D printers and design software… At least for a few months before I retire…. Printer beds are 8” square so elevator would probably have to be printed in two parts…. Color would be tough to match so would need to be painted…, If a sketch ever appears and you’re interested let me know,

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  hingeman Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:46 pm

Thanks Robert, That would be awesome! I might take you up on that if one does. I know nothing about 3D printing.      Scott
hingeman
hingeman
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:02 pm

Absolutely, Just let me know…. Resolution is not as good as injection molding but can get pretty close…

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down