Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 6 Cox_ba12

Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 6 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 6:36 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by getback Today at 6:29 am

» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 6 Empty
Live on Patrol

Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 6 Empty Re: Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:37 am

Kim wrote:
nitroairplane wrote:Kim,
Go on then I must see this little Fokker!

Very Well Then, Sir !!!

I shall take up your gauntlet...and by vow that, by this evening's sunset... the Ambroid shall flow like an orange river !!!!

Let it be known far and wide that I have entered the Frey of heavily loaded, Guillows Scale fighters, and shall Christen my 190 as "Baby Wolf"...germanbeez, please provide a translated and cool title in your native tongue !!

German Kim

Ok,

So build it quick so I don't have to be the guinea pig!

Seriously though I measured the root chord and came up with 4.15" or 105mm which I understand a little better because I grew up in Canada. Divided that number by three and came up with 1.38" or 35mm. Is this correct? I took the root chord to mean center wing leading edge to trailing edge.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 6 Empty Re: Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  Kim Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:12 am

cribbs74 wrote:
Kim wrote:

Very Well Then, Sir !!!

I shall take up your gauntlet...and by vow that, by this evening's sunset... the Ambroid shall flow like an orange river !!!!

Let it be known far and wide that I have entered the Frey of heavily loaded, Guillows Scale fighters, and shall Christen my 190 as "Baby Wolf"...germanbeez, please provide a translated and cool title in your native tongue !!

German Kim

Ok,

Seriously though I measured the root chord and came up with 4.15" or 105mm which I understand a little better because I grew up in Canada. Divided that number by three and came up with 1.38" or 35mm. Is this correct? I took the root chord to mean center wing leading edge to trailing edge.

Well, I was gonna reference the Redneck "TLAR" (That Looks About Right) method of CG assignment to put it at about a third of the way back from the leading edge.

Figure I'll jump in the ole Guinea Pig Wheel and run too. I'll get myself straight home today, and shove the gun, engine, airplane, and video camera accessories over to one side and start busting parts from those slabs of petrified Guillows balsa !

Report tonight !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:16 am

Some more calculations.....

Using the calculator from this site:

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/design.htm#calculate

I came up with a wing loading of 10.71 oz/sq.ft and a stall speed of 16.2 mph.

I used a lift coefficient of 1 so I am not sure that was correct as I could not decipher the engineering jargon enough to figure that out. 1 was pre-filled into the calculator so I went with that.

I calculated the wing area to be 53.78 sq.in by taking the span x root chord. And used a finished model weight of 4oz.

What does all this mean? I haven't a clue....... Probably too in depth for what I am doing but, I wanted to get a better understanding. Any ideas? I will probably end up tossing the thing in the air and hope for the best Laughing
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:19 am

Kim:

In Germanic tradtion, "Valkyrie" is a fitting name. "Valkarkyries" where the maidens the delivered fallen Nordic warriors to Valhalla (heaen). Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" was written and performed to celebrate the deeds of the Valkyries.

Wagner - RIDE OF THE VALKYRIES - Furtwangler - YouTube

Give this a listened and tell me it doesn't remind you of Nazi Germany!

Last edited by SuperDave on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:22 am

Kim wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:
Kim wrote:

Very Well Then, Sir !!!

German Kim

Ok,

Well, I was gonna reference the Redneck "TLAR" (That Looks About Right) method of CG assignment to put it at about a third of the way back from the leading edge.

Figure I'll jump in the ole Guinea Pig Wheel and run too. I'll get myself straight home today, and shove the gun, engine, airplane, and video camera accessories over to one side and start busting parts from those slabs of petrified Guillows balsa !

Report tonight !

Kim,

I had mine framed out in 2 days, I figured a seasoned builder such as yourself should have a completed RTF wulf by midnight tonight Very Happy
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:45 am

SuperDave wrote:Kim:

In Germanic tradtion, "Valkyrie" is a fitting name. "Valkarkyries" where the maidens the delivered fallen Nordic warriors to Valhalla (heaen). Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" was written and performed to celebrate the deeds of the Valkyries.

Funny...makes ME think of low-flying Hueys and Loaches, coming ashore at breakneck speed and laying waste to an enemy camp!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:59 am

"Kim,

I had mine framed out in 2 days, I figured a seasoned builder such as yourself should have a completed RTF wulf by midnight tonight"

HA !!!! OBVIOUSLY, you have not toured my warehouse of still-born projects. "Seasoning", if it truly exists, can be as big an obstacle to building as having a box of parts and no plans...Just TOO many options !!!!!

However, I figure that the lazer-like attention of my fellow sufferers here will propel me and my Wulf right through to the "Chuck and Hope" phase !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:09 am

Why not just use a throttled engine and ROG?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:30 pm

'Cause no throttle device, throttle servo, or landing gear is ALWAYS lighter than a throttle device, throttle servo, and landing gear !!!!!

'Besides, the landing gear would slow me down when I go after them Spits' and Stangs' !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Kim wrote:'Cause no throttle device, throttle servo, or landing gear is ALWAYS lighter than a throttle device, throttle servo, and landing gear !!!!!

'Besides, the landing gear would slow me down when I go after them Spits' and Stangs' !!!!

So true but that is where the retracts come in Smile
ONly kidding of course.
I would never attempt retracts on anything smaller than .049 or .020 but that is pushing it.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:31 am

SuperDave wrote:Kim:

Well, Wagner was Hitler's favourite composer! Me, I always associate The Ride of the Valkyries with "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning!" ("Apocalypse Now" for anyone who doesn't know the quote)

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:40 am

Well i like the smell of nitro in the morning.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:53 am

Indra:

Then you would have enjoyed being in Vietnam were the smell of napalm and "crispy critters" (toasted VietCong) was in the air quite often. Affraid or WOW!
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:59 am

nitroairplane wrote:Well i like the smell of nitro in the morning.

lol!
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:23 pm

In truth I prefer the smell of coffee in the morning though both may be addictive. Tired w/ Coffee Read
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:42 pm

SuperDave wrote:In truth I prefer the smell of coffee in the morning though both may be addictive. Tired w/ Coffee Read

Coffee is good in the morning but being around my engines and nitro makes me happy so the smell of that makes me happy too.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:51 am

Here is a pic of the almost completed mini Spit, I still have to "flash coat" it with dull luster coat to seal the paint and decals, I also have to do the cockpit rear windows and the plastic manifolds radiator scoop etc. I's a slow process but I am almost done. I will post a pic of the electronics setup here soon.

Current weight 3.60 oz

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:01 am

Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 6 Spit712

Sorry PC issues.........

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:07 am

hey guys! im back! did yah miss me?

Wow man, that looks beautiful! i am really impressed! i just started back up on building last night, you have been busy. now, you gonna post a video of it?
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:03 am

Yeah I will attempt to post a video of the impending crash.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:55 am

cribbs74 wrote:Here is a pic of the almost completed mini Spit, I still have to "flash coat" it with dull luster coat to seal the paint and decals, I also have to do the cockpit rear windows and the plastic manifolds radiator scoop etc. I's a slow process but I am almost done. I will post a pic of the electronics setup here soon.

Current weight 3.60 oz

Very nice job there, Cribbs, I hope it flies as well as it looks.

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:34 am

AUWWWK !!!!!!!!! The enemy is spooling up! OK...back to "The Butcher Bird" tonight!

Great Spit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:13 pm

Kim:

My Spit' to be will be "Restless Warrior" (from "The Lion King")

Ron:

From what I can see in the picture you've done an excellent job. Would like to know the way that you achieved the camo pattern.

On your first flight consider yourself like Wibur Wright in 1903 flying off into the great unknown. If Wilbur did it you can too. Smile

BTW, I'm going to build a dolly to hold my Spit' up off the work surface for adjustments.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:46 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 6 Spit712

Sorry PC issues.........

Ron I love it!
We need a flight report.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:10 pm

This is the pic I wanted to show. The other one won't let you open it all the way up to see the whole plane

Thanks for all the comments guys!

SuperDave, I handpainted the camo, I figured it was supposed to be abstract, I did use the plans as a rough guide though.

Kim, still have a bit to do so you have time........

[img]Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 6 Spit713[/img]
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next