Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:35 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 7:47 am

» Tired of it all…
by Coxfledgling Today at 7:23 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by getback Today at 6:29 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:54 pm

Kim,

Thank you, very good explaination! with pics! I am a visual learner so it helps. Looks fairly simple too. I have sanded down my plugs some more and it looks much better. I should have used the glue you recommended and now I know why you did, luckily I was able to take my razor knife and scrape away the hard CA and was able to sand it smooth. next time around I will. Limited means........CA was all I had here, and I was impatient.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  shell shock Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:36 pm

@Kim: hey kim, this is a great idea! i think i will have to steal this idea for my p51

@cribbs74: wow man, that is looking real good! you need to post a video of that flying.

Cheers all
Shell Shock
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:43 pm

Shell shock,

Where are the pics to your P51? Yeah man, I'm calling you out! Just kidding, but you ought to start a thread on it. Ok here is one more pic, last one of the frame I promise, final sanding done (I think) I will cover it in the next week or so. I installed the plywood firewall, not so easy to cut with a razor knife/leatherman and a craftsman cutting tool. Sandpaper cures all though. Much to my dissapointment I was missing my canopy and while searching around for it I stepped on it!!!! Dang! I managed to massage it back into shape, but now it has a cloudy crease in it. Stupid me, wonder if I can get another one. What do you guys think about landing gear? I made up the set that came in the kit and they look kind of ugly to me and since this is a park flyer I doubt I will be doing any ground takeoffs and landings will be rough on landing gear. Thinking of keeping them off.

Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Spit510
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:21 am

no man, your right, i need to post pics. i was going to.. but a party and a quantity of jager and beer sought that i was quite incapable of very remedial tasks for awhile. So with clear though and a clean liver, today i shall post pics

Shell Shock
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:52 am

shell shock wrote:@Kim: hey kim, this is a great idea! i think i will have to steal this idea for my p51

@cribbs74: wow man, that is looking real good! you need to post a video of that flying.

Cheers all
Shell Shock

Hey Shell Shock,

You're welcome ! ...but this isn't mine. It's old-school from the earliest days of putting hinged surfaces on model planes.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:05 am

Kim wrote:
You're welcome ! ...but this isn't mine. It's old-school from the earliest days of putting hinged surfaces on model planes.

Sewn hinges and Z-hinges from fabric were what we used in the days of yore, before plastic was invented. The sewn hinges, if done correctly, were tight, but totally bind free --- the surfaces would just flop around until the pushrods were installed.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:10 am

andrew wrote:
Kim wrote:

Sewn hinges and Z-hinges from fabric were what we used in the days of yore, before plastic was invented. The sewn hinges, if done correctly, were tight, but totally bind free --- the surfaces would just flop around until the pushrods were installed.

Yeah...NO hinge stress on the servos to any throw setting! We'd experiment with 90 degree deflection on an old R/C Cox 210 RTF...discovered "Elevator Stall" !!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:13 am

Kim wrote:
Hey Shell Shock,

Well, thanks for bringing this to my attention. So what type of thread am i supposed to use? Is it just sewing thread?
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:25 am

shell shock wrote:
Kim wrote:
Hey Shell Shock,

Well, thanks for bringing this to my attention. So what type of thread am i supposed to use? Is it just sewing thread?

You really ought to use fine/medium carpet thread. Upholstery shops have it...used in heavy-duty applications like harnesses and such. DO NOT use cotton sewing thread as it WILL rot and break. If you have trouble locating some, PM me your mailing address and I'll send you some. Also, it's a REAL good idea to practice on a fake set of control surfaces (go ahead and use cotton thread for this). Like acquiring any skill, it may take a little practice to get it right.

Something else I forgot to mention, if the appearance is a problem, you can "Hide Them in Plain Sight" by painting a black box over them. Maybe not true scale in most in serious scale planes, but usually good enough with sport planes.

Last edited by Kim on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:29 am

So, essentially nylon or polyester?
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:53 am

Coats and Clark Dual Duty Plus Button and Carpet thread -- available at WallyWorld or any sewing shop.

For small planes, the finer thread works fine. For .15 size and up, I used the heavy duty carpet thread. Generally, it's sold as cotton covered polyester.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:03 am

Nice! this will actually save me time and money.

Sorry for the hijack XP
Hijacked
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:35 am

Yeah. me too! Sorry Ron ! Gonna copy some of this and start a new thread over in the Model Building Topics...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:34 am

Hijack away!!!! Seriously, I have done it and will probably do it again. Not on purpose mind you, but sometimes we get caught up in the moment.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks!!!

Me too ! I sorta like watching stuff take off...especially since this and Mark's Group are about the best spots for talking about these little planes!.

Still gonna copy some of this alongside in a new thread...maybe make it easier to find...maybe not...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:02 am

Ron:

I believe that another canopy is available from Guillows. Try them and see.

I've asked "Santa" for the Spit #403 kit from Guillow's. SHE usually, but not always, grants my wishes, so I'm optimist. I found it in-stock and availabe at www.oakridgehobbies.com for $32.99 + postage as opposed to Guillows at $44.99 + postage.

Hope that you caught the helpful information here on doing camo finishes.

Now try to locate a decent air brush sel -up w/compressor, hoses and accessories.......
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:06 am

SD,

Hope you have been good! seriously though 32.99 is a good price, can't wait to see the thread.

Yes I did catch the camo paint info, I am a little ahead of you so I will keep you posted on how it turns out. Keep in mind this is a first for me, at least you can learn from my mistakes!!! Although you sound to be pretty experienced anyway.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:11 am

shell shock wrote:no man, your right, i need to post pics. i was going to.. but a party and a quantity of jager and beer sought that i was quite incapable of very remedial tasks for awhile. So with clear though and a clean liver, today i shall post pics

Shell Shock

Man, you could have bought a new engine for the price of all that alcohol! All you have to show for it is some embarrasing stories and a hangover!!! Just kidding I've been 19 before, I get it.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:51 am

Ron:

There is absolutely no way that I would attempt camo finish without an air brush set-up. Even with that I would experiement first by "camo'ing' one of my old and very tired planes which are cluttering my 10' X 10' den.

(Visualize a "camo'ed" 4-channel Super-Cub EP w/48" span) Huh...

The experience gained would be well worth the the investment of time and $$$$$.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:53 am

SuperDave wrote:Ron:

I believe that another canopy is available from Guillows. Try them and see.

I've asked "Santa" for the Spit #403 kit from Guillow's. SHE usually, but not always, grants my wishes, so I'm optimist. I found it in-stock and availabe at www.oakridgehobbies.com for $32.99 + postage as opposed to Guillows at $44.99 + postage.

Hope that you caught the helpful information here on doing camo finishes.

Now try to locate a decent air brush sel -up w/compressor, hoses and accessories.......

Yep, went to the guillows site and they have it for a whopping $1. May go ahead and get a new cowl too , just in case I happen to make a rough landing. Thanks SD!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:58 am

SuperDave wrote:Ron:

There is absolutely no way that I would attempt camo finish without an air brush set-up. Even with that I would experiement first by "camo'ing' one of my old and very tired planes which are cluttering my 10' X 10' den.

(Visualize a "camo'ed" 4-channel Super-Cub EP w/48" span) Huh...

The experience gained would be well worth the the investment of time and $$$$$.

A super cub army scout plane? it's possible.

I will try it elsewhere before I do the real thing. I am planning on doing an olive drab monokote for covering and then painting/airbrush on the camo scheme. I will then apply the decals and go over all of it ith a fuel proofing spray. Hope the decals hold up
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:59 am

From what I have experienced (I built 5 guillows models this year)
I gave 3 away to kids who wanted a start in the hobby.
I found that the cowls are prone to splitting as is some of the wood but maybe this is just what happens to old stock thats been shipped from the US!
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:51 pm

nitroairplane wrote:From what I have experienced (I built 5 guillows models this year)
I gave 3 away to kids who wanted a start in the hobby.
I found that the cowls are prone to splitting as is some of the wood but maybe this is just what happens to old stock thats been shipped from the US!

maybe I will grab 2 cowls?????
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:56 pm

Yeah thats a good idea.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:01 pm

I really need some advice here, I know I promised no more frame pics, but I went ahead and tacked on the landing gear. In my opinion they look cartoonish and not really befitting of a scale model. I think they belong on a push toy. Anyway, I have 2 options...finish out the model sans gear or find some wheels that look more correct. Do they make any that small? what about tail wheels? I am looking at some tail wheels on ebay now, vintage stuff prob 1/2a but they may be too big. Any ideas? Opinions? Thanks for looking.

Guillows Spitfire park flyer FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Spit711
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next