Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

1970s cox sanwa radios Cox_ba12

1970s cox sanwa radios Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 8:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 7:10 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by MauricioB Today at 5:50 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 4:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 3:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 11:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 4:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

1970s cox sanwa radios Empty
Live on Patrol

1970s cox sanwa radios

Go down

1970s cox sanwa radios Empty 1970s cox sanwa radios

Post  craig bernard Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:34 pm

what i want to no are these radios any good to power say boats or cars or maybe simple one channel planes? I see them fairly inexpensive or were they not so good when they were new in the 1970s when they were new i only messed around with u control because we were kids and they were out of our price range.
craig bernard
craig bernard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

1970s cox sanwa radios Empty re: early cox sanwa radios

Post  happydad Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:11 pm

craig bernard wrote:what i want to no are these radios any good to power say boats or cars or maybe simple one channel planes? I see them fairly inexpensive or were they not so good when they were new in the 1970s when  they were new i only messed around with u control because we were kids and they were out of our price range.

Craig: it depends on what model and what frequency the radio is. I would stick with the 72MHz radios for airplanes and the 75MHz radios for boats and cars, (FCC rules). the 27MHz radios were cheaply made and most of the 72/75MHz radios were better made, (better noise rejection), and better overall quality. but again it depends on what model radio.
   my suggestion is if you are looking to purchase a particular model-brand ask about it in particular. someone here may have an old one on the shelf and be willing to sell cheaply. I have gone thru several versions of 2.4GHz radios in learning how they work and which one is the best for the money. so I have extra car-boat and plane-heli radios I currently don't use, as well as older 72MHz plane radios, but mostly just transmitters.
   again the best way to get information is to ask someone.

happydad    not-Snowman 

RC Plane Futaba Radio RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

1970s cox sanwa radios Empty Re: 1970s cox sanwa radios

Post  John Goddard Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Not Sure I'd agree that if you held two radio's next to each other and the only
difference was frequency that the 27 would be an inferior product/there are
other country's that utilise other frequency's/ 27 was the mainstay here in the
70's till the Rubber Duckers arrived good buddy.
But not sure of the efficacy of cheapo old fashioned radio's either, if you want RC buy a second hand
(Horizon's aftercare even on 'preowned' gear is legendary) Spektrum DX6i.
Learning to fly RC is challenging enough without using questionable equipment, the gear
nowadays is so cheap and so reliable there's no reason not to buy quality stuff.
Taking your lovely new model home in a bag cos you bought a crappy radio is gonna be
soul destroying and possibly dangerous to other people.
 Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

1970s cox sanwa radios Empty re: sanwa radios

Post  happydad Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:33 pm

John: As I said in my first post it all depends on the brand and frequency. the sanwa radios were very cheaply made especially the 27MHz versions. on the other side if you were comparing a 27MHz Futaba radio versus a 72MHz Futaba radio I would agree with you on quality completely.
   and I especially agree with you on buying the best quality radio you can afford if you are going to fly an expensive model plane.
   I purchased a 2.4GHz dsm2 transmitter for less than $25.00 shipped and it has servo reversing and channel mixing for V-tail or heli flying. Dsm2 6-channel receivers were about $3.50 then, but about $10.00 now. I also purchased another 2.4GHz transmitter-receiver with a different type of modulation for less than $30.00 and it works fine. I prefer the dsm2 because the receivers WERE very cheap and I have about 6 of them and I can use 1 transmitter for any of the other 6 receivers easily.
   my advice as you said is buy the best radio system you can afford. look around on ebay and the various RC and engine forums, (such as CEF), and ask if someone has something for sale.
happydad  Warm 

RC Plane Futaba Radio RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:23 am

Great stuff HD
I know some bods don't like the orange brand of RX's.
I think it's because (bless them) they don't read the instructions,
but I think they're great.
One of my 'pupils' has/had a habit of flying far far far too far away
and (so far) I've always been able to snatch tx and bring the tiny
spec back home.

I'm with you on 2.4
Buying a crystal based set in 2014 for me would be like trying
to treat infection with leeches cos that's what we used
to do.
 Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cryhavoc Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:33 pm

It actually really doesn't matter as any of those Cox/Sanwa 72/75 mHz radios were long phased out by the time the '91 narrow band rules came into effect so is "illegal" to even turn on. I doubt it would be possible to modify the RF deck to narrow band much less be worth the expense to still fly 72/75. I don't beleive 27mHz is subject to these rules so if you had the hankering to fly one of these radios "as is" it would have to be a 27band version.

Having said that, if you live in an unpopulated area I don't think you'll bring down "The Man" no matter what you turn on so..... Just be careful there are no other 72/75/27 fliers in your area at the same time.

Also, my first ever radio was one of these Cox/Sanwa systems. It came in a Cessna package my grandmother bought me and it opened a lifetime love for me. Sometimes that kind of nostalgia needs an outlet. Otherwise Cox would have fadeded into the dust as soon as the company went under. There is something of a movement afoot to "refurbish" old radio systems to modern standards. I myself converted an old mid 70's silver dial/beige box Futaba to 2.4ghz using a FrSky DIY module. If one "really" wanted to use one of these radios the same could be done. No it wont have all the bells, whistles or lower risk of a newer radio but thats not the point. We didn't have them then either but the flying was still fun.

Mike
Cryhavoc
Cryhavoc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down