Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Testors 049 - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Testors 049 - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 3:17 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 2:58 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Testors 049 - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Testors 049

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Testors 049 - Page 2 Empty Re: Testors 049

Post  roddie Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:17 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
roddie wrote:"Galloping Ghostler".. your CG "Swordsman" looks fabulous! This was my first balsa glow-powered airplane! What particularly caught my eye on yours.. is the color. My dad built mine for me (circa 1969) with a similar "green" on the wings/tail-feathers.. and the fuse was "black".. with a Babe Bee for power. It would be fun to have a CEF "Carl Goldberg" model event of some kind. There were so many decent performing control-line models through the years.. in various sizes/classes.. along with AMA NATS champion endorsements! The fact that Brodak continues to "repro" some of the CG kits, is testament to their popularity.
Roddie, the color I used is Pactra Stinson Green dope, a really old bottle that is probably over 20 years old. I used the last of it repairing hangar rash. I built it for my son in the 1990's, but he had a problem with asthma and a problem with getting easily dizzy (may be the affect of the asthma medication he was on). So we never did any CL flying, like I had planned.

I still have the plane along with the Goldberg Little Toot biplane.

Testors 049 - Page 2 Lil_to10

One of the last Testors .049 front rotary valve McCoy Red Heads.

Testors 049 - Page 2 Testor10

Only reason I haven't flown them is that Clovis here in eastern New Mexico is mostly open plains. We rarely ever have calm days with less than 5 mph breezes. These reed valve planes just don't do too well in wind as with the larger planes such as the S-1 Ringmaster and S-6 Ring. Junior.

I wouldn't be surprised if that Pactra Stinson-Green was the same color dope as was on my model! Your Lil' Toot has always been one of my favorites!!! Does your son still have an interest in model aviation? It would be great if you could possibly search for an "indoor" location to fly those little models in.. where the constant breeze would be of no concern? Some warehouses might have the open-ceiling clearance for running 25-30 foot lines. Imagine how much fun it would be!!

Last edited by roddie on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:51 am

roddie wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if that Pactra Stinson-Green was the same color dope as was on my model! Your Lil' Toot has always been one of my favorites!!! Does your son still have an interest in model aviation? It would be great if you could possibly search for an "indoor" location to fly those little models in.. where the constant breeze would be of no concern? Some warehouses might have the open-ceiling clearance for running 25-30 foot lines. Imagine how much fun it would be!!
It very well could be roddie, Stinson Green was a very common color back in those days. Regarding my son, he is now 28, married and has a 1 year old. His interests are more toward RC cars than airplanes. Regarding indoor flying, only problem with small IC engines on high nitro is they are loud in close quarters. There, one might get away with electric CL. His son and my grandson might be interested in CL flying when he is of age. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:06 pm

Hello all,
I have a Testors .049 with a stunt tank but I misplaced that little plastic plug that goes into the filler neck after fueling and I was wondering if anyone here has one for sale?

Thanks,
Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:59 pm

I wasn't aware they used a plug. If anyone can post a picture or description of one I'd appreciate it.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:19 pm

sdjjadk wrote:Hello all, I have a Testors .049 with a stunt tank but I misplaced that little plastic plug that goes into the filler neck after fueling and I was wondering if anyone here has one for sale? Thanks,
Shawn
I remember that plug you are talking about, looked almost like a round plastic tack with a blunt end, fitted the fuel tank filler inlet. I've flown without it. You can try, see if you really need it. To make one wouldn't be hard. You might be able to get by with a nylon screw that just fits the opening. All it did was prevent fuel from splashing out. It allowed air past it, so you had sufficent venting for fuel draw.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:37 pm

I have an engine review by Peter Chinn that neither has nor mentions the plug so it may have been added later. Since it is on the inside (of the circle) pointed up, the only time you should lose fuel is inverted or doing outside maneuvers.

As George mentioned, one can easily be fabricated...even with a chunk of balsa. Just drill a small (1/32") hole to let it breathe.

That said, mine have the plugs. I have not tried running without it. Here's a pic:

George

BTW, these engines are for CL use and are mounted with the cylinder horizontal, pointed outboard.
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Thanks George.
I would think the only reason a plug is needed would be to stop the airflow potentially drawing fuel out through the filler.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:42 pm

gcb wrote:I have an engine review by Peter Chinn that neither has nor mentions the plug so it may have been added later. Since it is on the inside (of the circle) pointed up, the only time you should lose fuel is inverted or doing outside maneuvers.

As George mentioned, one can easily be fabricated...even with a chunk of balsa. Just drill a small (1/32") hole to let it breathe.

That said, mine have the plugs. I have not tried running without it. Here's a pic:

George

BTW, these engines are for CL use and are mounted with the cylinder horizontal, pointed outboard.
That's the exact plug mine had.
I'm thinking it was for preventing fuel loss in inverted or overhead flight. The plug that came with my engine was non-vented and had a loose fit and would fall out very easily which is how I lost mine. If I cannot find one, I'll try without it or use a small nylon screw. And yes, the cylinder has to be mounted horizontal as IIRC the tank has a molded stop that keys into the slot on the side of the crankcase.

Thanks for the replies,
Shawn

Last edited by sdjjadk on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:51 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:

One of the last Testors .049 front rotary valve McCoy Red Heads.

Sweet Lil' Toot!
I have a few of those beam mounted McCoy .049's and I'd love to have one of those tank mounts. Do you know where I can find one other than E-Bay?

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:50 am

sdjjadk wrote:
Sweet Lil' Toot!
I have a few of those beam mounted McCoy .049's and I'd love to have one of those tank mounts. Do you know where I can find one other than E-Bay?

Shawn

I have one of these McCoy .049s which came on a red Tee Dee tank mount.  Tee Dee tank is very similar to the factory McCoy one and the engine fits just fine.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:51 am

Oldenginerod wrote:
sdjjadk wrote:Sweet Lil' Toot! I have a few of those beam mounted McCoy .049's and I'd love to have one of those tank mounts. Do you know where I can find one other than E-Bay? Shawn
I have one of these McCoy .049s which came on a red Tee Dee tank mount.  Tee Dee tank is very similar to the factory McCoy one and the engine fits just fine. Rod.
The McCoy tank with mount would be a hard find. When it has appeared on E-Bay, it was with the engine. The TD tank sounds like a good option. I haven't checked, but the Norvel tank mount might be a good option also. One may have to Dremel away a portion of the curved webbing plastic to clear the rear triangular bottom of the McCoy's rear engine mount.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:18 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Oldenginerod wrote:
sdjjadk wrote:Sweet Lil' Toot! I have a few of those beam mounted McCoy .049's and I'd love to have one of those tank mounts. Do you know where I can find one other than E-Bay? Shawn
I have one of these McCoy .049s which came on a red Tee Dee tank mount.  Tee Dee tank is very similar to the factory McCoy one and the engine fits just fine. Rod.
The McCoy tank with mount would be a hard find. When it has appeared on E-Bay, it was with the engine. The TD tank sounds like a good option. I haven't checked, but the Norvel tank mount might be a good option also. One may have to Dremel away a portion of the curved webbing plastic to clear the rear triangular bottom of the McCoy's rear engine mount.

I forgot all about the Norvel tank mounts. I have one on my Bratco Hexdrone and it looks like it just might work with very little modification.
I'll look on E-Bay for a TD tank mount as well but the Norvel may be a cheaper and easier option.

Thanks,
Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2