Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? Cox_ba12

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Today at 6:42 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Today at 5:42 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Today at 5:35 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:20 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:13 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Today at 3:45 am

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by latole Today at 3:20 am

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:42 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? Empty
Live on Patrol

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ?

Go down

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? Empty AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ?

Post  Kim Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:10 pm

As illustrated by my previous post, I seem to have a surplus of "Brain Energy" this evening, with no clear target to aim it at, and have been cruising the threads over on Stunt Hangar.

On the thread about Hobby Shops, I picked up another sideways slur about AHC, and seem to remember some here and on R.C.Groups, and was wondering if it was simply their competing against the LHS's or if they really did rip off a lot of their customers as the poster inferred.

Living in a small town, fairly isolated from any hobby store, the occasional AHC mail order I could swing was always a big deal when it showed up. My first Babe Bee came from there, along with lots of other "little stuff" that fit in my budget...and later on, several kits.

Anyway any thoughts? Did anyone here get less than what they paid for from AHC?

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? Empty Re: AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ?

Post  Ken Cook Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:19 pm

I made many kit purchases from AHC. I loved the adds and I would always take the time to check out the specials. I never purchased engines, but many tanks, wheels etc. I delivered many papers in order to purchase that Flite Streak and Fox .35 combo. I believe the add was originally for a Mccoy red head but for a few dollars more the Fox could be purchased. That Flite Streak still hangs on my wall to this day. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? Empty Re: AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ?

Post  andrew Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:21 pm

Ken Cook wrote:I loved the adds and I would always take the time to check out the specials............

I loved the ads, too.  As a boy, I didn't live in the middle of nowhere, but I could see it from the back porch.  Being buried out in the country with hardly any money, model magazines were the things dreams were made of.  AHC usually had at least two pages and lots of pictures -- wow, what memories.

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? <a href=AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? Ahc_ma10
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Yeah,
As with Ken, the images in those ads put a lot of power to my paper routes and other money-making "kid jobs".
I never got one of their catalogs until much later...in 1984 or so...and it has an odd blend of old stuff, mixed with new ducted fan jets and R/C helicopters.

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? Ahc210

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? Ahc11

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? Ahc110

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:41 pm

jez...you don't realize (or maybe you do :^) how much time i spent drooling on those ads as a kid! This ad was from 1969, i was 11.

(p.s. i just noticed they were still trying to sell Aurora RTF Bonzos, for about half of what the .020 Cox (limegreen) Mini Stunt was bringing, The Aurora model had been out of production for several years '63-'64)
AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? Americ11

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? Bonzo_10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:49 pm

After having been "burned" by the mail ordered purchase of the Sea Monkeys from the ads in the back of Archie & Jughead comics, I never was excited to spend my paper route money anywhere other than the LHS(s) Yes, back then there were multiple hobby stores with in bike riding distance. Those ads did get the adrenalin and drool flowing for a large variety of model cars and planes. But I always found what I wanted on the shelf at the LHS. Unfortunately that is no longer true. Thanks to Amazon and now Bernie Small Cox Logo every thing ( well, almost everything) I want or need , is available at the click of a mouse.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:55 am

AHC was where I got my first R/C airplane and radio. A Papillon motor glider for .049, and a two channel Futaba radio to fly it. Crashed, and crashed, and crashed some more. I loved that thing...

The Beginner Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:58 am

Same case for me.  I'd used a buddy's MK I Kadet to learn to fly, so my first proportional plane had a much easier life.  I ordered my "Dream Plane" at the time from AHC, a Jetco 'Navigator' and an EK Logitrol Champion 5 Channel radio.  A HUGE chunk of cash from my frail budget, but it turned out to be some of the best money I ever spent.

The plane is an elegant, graceful flyer, and my favorite 'stunt' was a hammerhead, with the Navigator rotating perfectly at it's stall, thanks to it's engine's thrust on the rudder, and coming straight back down it's original track.  Not a big deal today, but it was a thrill back then.

The Navigator still exits, and is on the restoration back-burner, and I still have the Champion Radio, but it gave up it's ghost back in the early 1990's or so.

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? N5_10

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? N6_10

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? N7_10

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? N9_10

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? N14_10

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? N19_10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:50 am

Ken you R a pod man that's for sure was that a medallion on there?? Looks like it sure got a lot of air time is that the rebuild Jetco 'Navigator' Nice Rudolph Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:02 am

getback wrote:Ken you R a pod man that's for sure was that a medallion on there?? Looks like it sure got a lot of air time is that the rebuild Jetco  'Navigator' Nice Rudolph  Eric

Thanks Eric!

Yeah, it's a Medallion .09 (that I still have) with a throttle band that I was assured "would never work".  Luckily for me the .09 didn't know it couldn't throttle, and did so, very dependably...you just had to give it a gentle lead when coming on with the power.  Navigator won first place in one of the few Fun-Flys I ever attended...shamelessly beating out everyone in the "Limbo Event".  Low flying was our specialty, and I still have the little medal we won.

For a long time, Navigator was my only R/C plane, and got flown a LOT, even playing the part of a trainer with a few guys I trusted.  Yeah, the rebuild is in the photo, and like so many others, is waiting for my attention.

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? N7_610

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? N12_10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:08 pm

Nothing like a floatplane for a land-locked flatlander!!!

The restoration looks good, so far.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Thanks !

But any old puddle will do!

Ironically, my Navigator never saw water, though it DID do a lot of snow flying. It was designed for Free flight or simple (light) R/C, and the first time I float-tested it with that .09 and it's brick-heavy EK radio (3 channels) it sank up to the cabin windows!

I plan to fix that when I get it flying again (whenever that happens), using the new super-light radios available today.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:48 pm

Kim I like how your avatar is a slideshow documentary of The Life and Adventures of Kim.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:54 pm

Is that a wing-float I see in the rebuild photo? Did the original kit include them?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:09 pm

RknRusty wrote:Kim I like how your avatar is a slideshow documentary of The Life and Adventures of Kim.

Thanks Rusty...hope it doesn't get to be too much...just got a TON of photos !!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:21 pm

roddie wrote:Is that a wing-float I see in the rebuild photo? Did the original kit include them?  

Yeah, they included balsa blocks that were cut pretty closely to shape, with ancient, dark ply struts.  I shaped the strut ends to hook around a dowel peg up in the wing, with a ply post sticking down in front to take a rubber band that wrapped around them.  This gave them some give, and allowed them to totally unhook if they were hit really hard.

I'll be using the originals if I get it to fly off water.

The kit also included a steerable water rudder, which I removed when the it became obvious that plane was gonna spend a lot of time as a Pasture Slider !

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? N0_210
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:52 pm

batjac wrote:AHC was where I got my first R/C airplane and radio.  A Papillon motor glider for .049, and a two channel Futaba radio to fly it.  Crashed, and crashed, and crashed some more.  I loved that thing...

The Beginner Mark

OMG, (wow), LOL (hahaha) My first R/C job, was also Papillon, powered with a Golden Bee and Futaba radio! I pretty sure i order it thru Hobby Shack, I ordered a from them many times, Thunder Tiger, Fuji engines, etc. I later added the Fuji (.099) w/ landing gear and third servo for throttle to the Pappilion.

AHC...America's Hobby Center...Good, Bad, or Indifferent ? Papill10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:53 pm

Kim, I gotta say that's one really cool airplane congrats!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:03 am

Mark Boesen wrote:Kim, I gotta say that's one really cool airplane congrats!

Thanks Mark...just got to get to it and bring it back to life.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down