Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

RAF Day Fighter arrives.......Broken!! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

RAF Day Fighter arrives.......Broken!! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I break for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 12:09 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

RAF Day Fighter arrives.......Broken!! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

RAF Day Fighter arrives.......Broken!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

RAF Day Fighter arrives.......Broken!! - Page 2 Empty Re: RAF Day Fighter arrives.......Broken!!

Post  stuntflyr Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:54 pm

Rusty,
Back half of pilot is missing and the vertical pylon affixed to his rear went down the spring and latched on the slide under the cockpit floor. The latch on the front of the canopy held it on, too as you surmised. The rubber band locked it all closed and ready for ejection in the nose wheel well. Mark provided a great picture of the original, and two pics of the original parachute is really cool.

The Brits had a small number of P-39s, Camo with 20mm Hispano cannons. They mostly were returned and used as P-400s in the Pacific. One was used as a carrier trials airplane and actually arrested landed on deck by Eric Brown. I'm not sure if they ever had a P-63 but probably did for testing. The Day Fighter is ficticious. The light on the back is a mystery to me too, my dad told me when I was little that back when the Pin Ball program was active that a light went on when the airplane was hit with frangible bullets. Perhaps one of those had this style of light. Many surviving P-63s are Pin Ball airplanes restored with their .090 skins, flush intakes, canopy mods, etc, removed and replaced with normal skin thickness. I've only seen one in close to Pin Ball configuration in the flesh at the Air Force Museum but there are several styles of the airplanes and many are photographed. I've never seen the light style that I recall.

I would build the wing to fuselage tongue out of styrene. The plastic to plastic repairs with solvent glues are much better bonded than plastic to wood. All of my repairs seem much better that way, and I have done plenty on my Wen Macs. Save all the parts, glue all of them back as accurately as possible. Any build up to original size and shape can be done by adding styrene. The canopy can be done the same way, many plastic modelers use toothbrush handles for clear canopy repairs. Glue the rough sized plastic to the canopy, then Dremel or carve to shape. I pin some stuff by drilling a hole for the pin into the parts and that solidifies the repaired parts better if necessary.

Good luck, cool model.
Chris...
stuntflyr
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

RAF Day Fighter arrives.......Broken!! - Page 2 Empty Re: RAF Day Fighter arrives.......Broken!!

Post  rsv1cox Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:20 pm

roddie I finally worked out a simple solution to reattach the broken wing to fuselage tab. I cut an aluminum piece from an old picture hanger to fit and bolted it on. Pretty close to the CG so it shouldn't be a problem. An added plus is that I can now remove the wing from the fuse if necessary.

RAF Day Fighter arrives.......Broken!! - Page 2 Day%20Fighter%20fix%20002_zpswauubva3

RAF Day Fighter arrives.......Broken!! - Page 2 Day%20Fighter%20fix%20001_zpsygzpyeyj

I don't know why Wen Mac dreamed up this "Day Fighter" thing. There is no Brit as a P-39/63 in reality in that regard. Oh well, reality be darned as long as it sells.

RAF Day Fighter arrives.......Broken!! - Page 2 Day%20Fighter%20fix%20006_zpspgwe7xmv

I must love these things. I just added two more very cheaply bought D/F's.

RAF Day Fighter arrives.......Broken!! - Page 2 Day%20Fighter%2029_zpsarpxse6l

RAF Day Fighter arrives.......Broken!! - Page 2 Day%20Fighter%20ebay_zpsdhvuvlls

The flyable pieces are there, but the important ones - Pilots/canopies are missing. Probably sitting out in a field somewhere.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:44 pm

Plastic Bob , I thought I seen some Balsa the other post ?? Eric ?? Easter Bunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:46 pm

The Bell Airacobra first entered service with the RAF, in October 1941, but only flew a handful of sorties before it was withdrawn from the front line. British interest in the Airacobra began after the fall of France. One of the aircraft orders that was taken over from the French was for 170 Bell P-400 Airacobras. Deliveries had been due to begin in October 1940, but the first aircraft only reached Britain in the summer of 1941.

The British placed two further orders for the Airacobra I, bringing the total number of aircraft on order up to 675 aircraft, all before getting their hands on one of the aircraft. The first British pilot to fly the new fighter, Christopher Clarkson, made his first flight on 30 December 1940, in the United States, while the first aircraft to reach Britain were three P-39Cs which arrived by sea in July 1940.

Bell Airacobra Is of No.601 Squadron These aircraft were soon assembled, and on 30 July 1941 tests began at the Fighter Development Unit at Duxford. These tests revealed that the Airacobra could out-turn and out-dive the Bf 109E at up to 15,000ft, but was “utterly useless” above 20,000ft. The top speed of the Airacobra also disappointed.

Only one RAF squadron ever received the Airacobra. No.601 “City of London” Squadron swapped its Hurricane IICs for Airacobras in August 1941, just in time to see the aircraft withdrawn to have twenty-five modifications made to the fuselage. The first four aircraft were finally declared operational in October 1941.

The Airacobra’s brief RAF combat career lasted from 9-11 October 1941. No.601 Squadron sent its four airworthy aircraft on two fighter sweeps to France, attacking a small number of ground targets. The aircraft was then withdrawn again after problems with the compass. During its time with No.601 Squadron five aircraft were lost in accidents, all said to be due to pilot error. The squadron never flew its Airacobra’s in action again, and in March 1942 replaced them with the Spitfire V.

Only eighty of the British Airacobras were assembled for the RAF. Of the remaining aircraft around 200 were quickly dispatched to the Soviet Union, while the rest remained in the United States, and as the P-400 fought on New Guinea and Guadalcanal.

RAF Day Fighter arrives.......Broken!! - Page 2 Airaco10
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:56 pm

getback wrote:Plastic Bob , I thought I seen some Balsa the other post ?? Eric ?? Easter Bunny

Yeah Eric,  I'm backsliding fast.  I did have a hollow log Cyclone on the table ready to start, but I wanted to finish this spastic plastic first.  I promise....it's next..promise, i really mean it this time...promise.....

and...ian, thanks for that.  I never knew that before.

But, I'm to late smart. Put the horse behind the cart again. Forgot about the belly pan. Got to remove the aluminum tab and file a couple of notches on either side to allow for the belly pan's tabs.

RAF Day Fighter arrives.......Broken!! - Page 2 Day%20fighter%20notch%20003_zps2aih2lbr

erasers on pencils, etc..
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:08 pm

Bob,

I have the handle that is shown in this picture. If you want it for whatever reason PM me your address.

RAF Day Fighter arrives.......Broken!! - Page 2 1vGqb58
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:38 am

Thanks Ron, PM sent.

Do you know anything about that odd looking wrench? I have never seen another like it. Also the pilot? I keep wondering if the back half of mine is missing. There really is nothing to attach the parachute to other than his neck.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2