Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:23 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:27 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Wed May 08, 2024 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed May 08, 2024 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun !

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 2 Empty Re: Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun !

Post  Kim Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:15 pm

nitroairplane wrote:
Kim wrote:I'll be glad if it's THAT good !

But the average stik glides like a BRIK

Well a NICE brick...!

We have apparently ALL had a Littlest Stick ! Need to start a "Littlest Stick Stories" Thread ! I got a couple stories !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 2 Empty littlest stick story

Post  Jaspur_x Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:07 pm

I posted my littlest stick story , 1 of many and there are more to come;I still have 2 flyable -ish lol! littlest sticks around

Throw em on with mine if you like Huh...

The littlest stick is still 1 of my 2 very most favorite of all, can`t forget my (sort of) little cox cub(peewee020)

No wonder I bought 2 Lastick short kits lol

There was a new littlest stick kit listed on ebay recently, $160 asking price, I`d bet that guy still has it too lol!

I missed an auction where there was a built littlest stick, ready to add engine and rx/servos and fly........I missed that one too Crying or Very sad ; it went pretty cheap Crying or Very sad
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 2 Empty Re: Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun !

Post  Kim Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:56 am

Will do! I've still got my original one...wing is good...body is rough, but just gives it character! I'd knocked the stab/elevator off and intended to glue it back on...now I've lost it, so i may have to make another!

Yeah, some of there Ebay sellers get pretty wild in the estimates of their treasures!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:26 pm

How is it coming along Kim?

I won't let you set this one aside....... Very Happy

I am sure gearing up for the tach race is slowing you down some.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:54 pm

Yeah...got a few things going. Gonna work on Baby Wulf tonight, in between converting some Spacebug Glowheads to Glowplug. Next step is sanding down my "Plug Planks"...THAT should be some fun...watching it take shape. Also, gonna dig out some micro servos for a test-fit. Babe Bee .049

Yep...stay after me...I occasionally need to be brought to course !!!! The only impact the Tach Race has had on me so far is to make me nervous! Got my side bench cleared for their parking zone!

That's the plan....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:21 am

Should have more photos shortly. Got the Wulf's planking sanded down...had fun, AND made a bodacious dust cloud! Also took apart the Pee Wee for some new gaskets, reed looked good, and will test run it probably tomorrow since the schedule is full today.

Thinking seriously about laying some 1/32 sheet down the wing's leading edge...those ribs are awfully far apart.

I know that these kits are famous for bad wood, bad die-cutting, and such, but I still get a "Guillows Buzz" when I do a practice frame-up with their little skeleton posing on my table !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:48 am

The Guillows wood quality really upsets me because they have some great planes kitted in perfect sizes.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:12 am

nitroairplane wrote:The Guillows wood quality really upsets me because they have some great planes kitted in perfect sizes.

Yeah...as Andrew said a while back, luckily the plans tend to be complete, and at least provide you the chance on making your own "kit" from good wood.

I've got a plan sheet for their large (30") P-47 tacked up next to my table, and it's all I can do NOT to start yet another project. Beautiful plane, and JUST the right size.

Wayne built one in '69 as an .09-powered control liner, and we never flew it because of all the work he put into it. He's still got it, though it's getting on in it's years, and if he asks, I'll restore it.

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 2 1_47

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 2 2_32
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:07 am

Kim, what's the third leadout line for? Shutoff, bomb release like the Stuka???

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:19 am

Wayne had installed a Roberts-Type bellcrank assembly, to operate a throttle on the .09.

He was VERY proud (still is) of his work on the plane, and we would often pose with it for photos which apparently haven't survived.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:56 am

It is a very nice plane but I think I would have to fly it.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:55 am

Ahem......

You thought I forgot didn't you? Yeah man I'm calling you out!!!!! Where are you on the Baby Wulf? The Spit is getting restless and I don't have the patience to deal with an angry Brit!

lol!

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:18 am

cribbs74 wrote:Ahem......

You thought I forgot didn't you? Yeah man I'm calling you out!!!!! Where are you on the Baby Wulf? The Spit is getting restless and I don't have the patience to deal with an angry Brit!

lol!

Yeah...I just FIGURED you'd be gunning for me about any time now! I DID suffer a little burn-out/distraction with other stuff, but had already cleared away the clutter from around, below, and above the Baby Wulf to give me some elbow room! I look to hit it again this evening with installation of Bernie's servos and SOME kind of sheeting to help make that tiny wing a bit stronger. While I might have had a slight advantage over you in the fuselage/radio area, I think you're gonna catch up quick in the wing loading arena !!

I shall file a progress report tonight!

Oberstleutnant Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:21 am

RknRusty wrote:Kim, what's the third leadout line for? Shutoff, bomb release like the Stuka???

If Kim doesn't answer, let me submit this re: the third lead out:

"Wayne had installed a Roberts-Type bellcrank assembly, to operate a throttle on the .09."
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:56 am

He answered, thanks.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:28 pm

OK...while it may not appear so, I got in a couple of good hours of work on the Baby Wulf this morning.

I did a bunch of extra work I don't normally bother with on these little guys. The cowlings that come with these kits are pretty floppy, and are often (for me) the first victim of trauma, with screws tearing them and such.

Since the Wulf's cowl is circular, I spun a 1/8th sheet (two laminated 1/16th's) balsa plug on my dremel tool, pushed it into the back of the cowl, and then hit it with some thin CA. I then cut out the center for the engine, leaving an internal ring in the cowl with tabs to allow it to be mounted to the firewall. This really strengthened the cowl, and hopefully, it'll last a couple of flights !

Got the servos mounted, and checked for space with the receiver. Finished the last of the plug-planking, and will start on a little planking of the wing tomorrow, then will shortly start covering the little Kraut!

Figure I'm gonna paint it in "Stalingrad Winter" colors, since I've still got some gray and white Brodak dope left from my Jetco "Shark"!

Gonna pick up a couple micro battery packs at the Swap Meet this weekend.

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 2 Img_4210

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 2 8_24

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 2 4_31

Kim's Baby Wulf...Covering (at last) Has Begun ! - Page 2 7_24
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:46 pm

Wow Kim,

She sure is sharp looking! Servo fit is tight like mine but, looks good and functional. Liked the cowl mod. Cant reall do that on mine because of the shape.

It's coming along nicely!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Thanks ! Gonna try to knock it off while things are relatively calm (lots of family stuff lately). Depending on the balance, I might try to install an external tank to up the flying time also. This all assuming that she survives that first flight !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:18 pm

wow it looks awesome, cant wait for more pics of the build and a report on the maiden when she's done. great job Smile
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:49 pm

mitchg95 wrote:wow it looks awesome, cant wait for more pics of the build and a report on the maiden when she's done. great job Smile

Thanks! Gonna give it a shot !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Boy, that thing is tiny. Those servo screws look like a kingpin out of semi. Good luck on the maiden -- I'll bet it'll be a handfull.

BTW, that's a great avatar. I noticed it as soon as you posted it.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:40 pm

Yeah...no doubt about the handfull part. I AM gonna pre-rig it as much as possible and make sure it balances on all axis.

Thanks on avatar...I doodle a lot while sitting at my desk. I stole the theme from a logo painted on the side of a P-63 Pylon Racer....asking the same question, but with an Allison Engine, breaking in the middle like an egg! Jacob actually found a photo of the plane, but I forgot to save it. It's here somewhere!

Last edited by Kim on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:23 am

Very nice Kim!
Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Indra
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:24 am

That's looking extremely cool, Kim!
Perhaps you could rotate one of the servos around to give them more clearance?
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:39 am

dirk gently wrote:That's looking extremely cool, Kim!
Perhaps you could rotate one of the servos around to give them more clearance?

Thanks Dirk! Yeah, I may reverse one to stagger the arms. As they are installed, one servo is higher than the other to give them clearance.

The reason I put them in this way was to point their leads toward the tail, letting me loop them back up to the receiver so I won't have so much bunched-up wire up front...a pet peeve of mine. While I didn't want to do it, I may also end up shortening the leads a bit to help lessen the "rat nest" I usually get with these little guys.

Later !!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next