Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Tank size for a Fox .35 Cox_ba12

Tank size for a Fox .35 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 3:17 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 2:58 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Tank size for a Fox .35 Empty
Live on Patrol

Tank size for a Fox .35

Go down

Tank size for a Fox .35 Empty Tank size for a Fox .35

Post  JPvelo Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:20 pm

Hey guys,

I'm about to order a brodak/sterling mustang and plan on running one of my Fox .35s'. What size tank should I order to fly the OTS pattern?

Thanks,

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Tank size for a Fox .35 Empty Re: Tank size for a Fox .35

Post  Ken Cook Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:39 pm

Jim, I would stick with a 3.5 oz tank. That will be too much fuel however and you will have to meter your fuel for the flight. I prefer the Brodak wide wedge tanks on the Fox due to the pickup exiting the bottom and this allows a fuel line approx 2 " long to the spraybar. At least with 3.5 oz's this will make for after pattern flying fun but not enough to do the PAMPA pattern as you will run out in or around the second loop of the overhead 8. I would also ask around as to who's been using the Fox on the Brodak kits. The choice of doubler material is not like the stock Sterling doubler. Brodak uses 1/16" doublers which in my opinion is too light for the Fox and should be substituted for 5 ply birch 3/32" . Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:14 pm

Thanks Ken,

I was planning on making a new outboard doubler 1" longer than stock so the stress from the fox isn't isolated in a small area. Do you think I would be safe using 1/8" ply for the new doubler and going with the stock doubler inboard backed up a 1/4" hard balsa tripler?

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:27 pm

Ken's right, it needs good stiff doublers, and a hard balsa cheek block on the inboard side is a good idea too. Make the cheek thick enough so the backplate bolt won't protrude through it. I also learned from Ken to make a big thick laminated center rib to capture and distribute the Fox vibrations. If it's too late for that, don't sweat it.

Use good hard aluminum mounting bearer plates on both sides, plus nylon offset wedges, and be sure to trim the edges of the ones under the engine tabs do they all fit flush and don't jam against the crankcase. Check the tightness of the mounting bolts on every preflight inspection.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:51 am

The Fox is a funny one. Your engine condition is critical. If you don't know the history or the engine is new, it could be problematic. Getting it out of it's vibration zone is critical to a good run. The Sterling Ringmaster has engine bearers about 2" long and they don't extend back and it works fine. The Ring defies the standard principles.  I've snapped dozens of Ring noses off and 5 min epoxied them back on and the darn thing never vibrated. However, I had a few that would shake the balsa to pieces. My suggestion into the doubler size was mainly due to avoid issues like vibrations. I feel 1/8" will certainly add a lot of unnecessary weight to the plane that generally builds nose heavy. I use 3/32" but not the 3 ply varieties nor lite ply. I certainly would recommend running the doubler back to the high point of the wing. My concerns of adding a tripler would be that you might be rubbing the grain in terms of the rules. In New Jersey, I find it hard that they wouldn't let you fly, but adding a tripler wasn't a part of the kit in terms of design and I can see someone contesting it. Your club would certainly understand and know what would be allowed.  It would be said that your giving the airframe a unfair advantage against say a similar opponent who was flying the same design without one due to encapsulating vibration. The outline of the plane is being changed by the additional piece therefore your not in compliance as well. If your not flying in a contest, I would say go for it.

My suggestion to Rusty in regards to a solid 1/2" center rib on the Yak which is the same plane essentially as the Mustang was due to the way the fuse connects to the wing. The glue area is very limited to sheeting only due to the fuse sitting on top of the wing. The Brodak designs look the same but aren't the same in terms of construction. They're built lighter and not as strong as the originals. This really benefits the modern engine, but the Fox and the older engines were really staple to those designs and when used, certain precautionary measures should be followed. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down