Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Cox_ba12

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by batjac Today at 3:06 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Empty
Live on Patrol

Balloon Tank Made Easier?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Empty Balloon Tank Made Easier?

Post  NEW222 Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi all. I have tried making a couple balloon tanks this year and found they work well. So with that said, despite being relatively easy to make, I found the part I hat most. Holes in the pick-up tube in the balloon. I used a razor and cut out notches throughout the length, which worked but took a few minutes. So, fast forward till today. I saw the local Princess Auto flyer and found this leather punch set with changeable diameters. It was on sale so I saved up and bought it for $5.99 CAD. I could have bought the punch alone for $3.49 CAD on sale, but I thought I may be able to use the other pliers for making the barrels at th eend of the leadouts. Anyways, I came home and tried it out and it worked awesome. So I thought I would just share my findings for those who use balloon tanks as well to make life easier. And as this is a Canadian company and stores located only in Canada, the US equivalent in my opinion would be the awesome Harbor Freight. Anyways, thanks for letting me ramble on.

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Punch_10

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Punch_11

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Punch_12

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Punch_13
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Empty Re: Balloon Tank Made Easier?

Post  NEW222 Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:25 pm

I forgot to add that if this is posted in the wrong forum, please let me know how to move it to the appropriate place.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:29 pm

And for those south of the border, Harbor Freight does have one, not on sale and just a bit more by itself, but here is the link should someone be interested.

http://www.harborfreight.com/leather-punch-tool-97715.html
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:58 pm

That's terrific! I had one of those tools at some point.. God only knows where it is.. or what happened to it! Another method I've used is a plier-style paper-punch.. to nibble a few "crescent-moon" reliefs through the wall of the tubing.

I don't know how many cc's this is.. but I figure it's between 5 and 7.

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Balloo12

The capsule is a florist-shop item for cut-flowers. The wooden spool/plug works well for stretching the neck of the balloon over.. with a rubber-band for security. I figured; why not make it streamlined for use on a profile model.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:22 pm

I think I have one of those eyelet plier sets, I'll have to rummage around and see if i can find it.
Roddie, what size is that thread spool... or is that something you custom made?
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:50 pm

RknRusty wrote:I think I have one of those eyelet plier sets, I'll have to rummage around and see if i can find it.
Roddie, what size is that thread spool... or is that something you custom made?
Rusty

They're 1/2" dia. Rusty.. (.490" to be exact) I bought a bagful for use as beads when I built my sons abacuses when they were little. The spool's center-holes were probably 1/8".. but I drilled them out to .140" so they would slide freely on the 1/8" dia. music wire rods. For the balloon tank, I wrapped a few turns of masking tape around 1/8" copper tube until I got a tight fit. If you're interested in trying this style tank.. I'll set you up. I have more capsules.. and a bagful of spools. Let me know.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:05 pm

Roddie. I would like to ask you a question. I like your balloons and cannot seem to find them around here. Tried Wal-Mart, Dollarama, Dollar Tree, and E-Bay with no luck, as I did not know what to call that style of balloon. Would you by chance happen to have the bag they came in so I may know what they call that style, or even where you bought yours. I used up my last 2 in that style earlier this year. Mine were a water balloon (although I could not throw that 'rocket' full of water). Thank you. I went to my local florist shops to get the vials, but they were bigger than or smaller than yours, so I am using rolled up pop bottle cut down, which apparently works.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Empty Balloon Tank

Post  RK Flyer Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:11 pm

Roddie,

What do you use for a shut off when starting the engine?

RK Flyer Flying
RK Flyer
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:21 pm

Balloon Tank Made Easier? S-l1600

I can send you a pair if you PM me your address. They're about 6 bucks on e-bay and I have a few.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:36 pm

Rusty, what do you call those? Plastic hemostats? Or are they some sort of locking pliers?
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:40 pm

I forgot to mention earlier that I really like your design Roddie, it is nice and streamlined. I will definitely try it out. I have a piece of dowel I believe that will be the right diameter for the small vials available here. Stay tuned.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:44 pm

NEW222 wrote:Roddie. I would like to ask you a question. I like your balloons and cannot seem to find them around here. Tried Wal-Mart, Dollarama, Dollar Tree, and E-Bay with no luck, as I did not know what to call that style of balloon. Would you by chance happen to have the bag they came in so I may know what they call that style, or even where you bought yours. I used up my last 2 in that style earlier this year. Mine were a water balloon (although I could not throw that 'rocket' full of water). Thank you. I went to my local florist shops to get the vials, but they were bigger than or smaller than yours, so I am using rolled up pop bottle cut down, which apparently works.

New, I just found the bag.. The company that makes them is "Unique Industries Inc." out of Philadelphia, PA. The 5" x 9" bag reads; assorted colors & shapes 100 pcs. They may have come from a supermarket.. I can't remember. They are bigger around than the "animal-twisty" type though. You could probably buy small size latex exam gloves.. and use the baby finger to come close to the size. As long as it stretches over the neck of a stopper.. it should work fine.

Last edited by roddie on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:53 pm

Ah, ok. I had assumed that you bought a bag of that specific style of balloon, that is why i had asked. As I looked at the mixed bag here, I did not really see that style, but I may grab a bag for a look. I had heard of using a glove before, but had not tried it. Again, thanks for the picture as that picture gave me the inspiration to try the balloon tank and flower vial. But I now just saw and realized the ruler in the picture. After noticing that, the smaller available vials may be the correct size after all.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RK Flyer Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:59 pm

RknRusty wrote:Balloon Tank Made Easier? S-l1600

I can send you a pair if you PM me your address. They're about 6 bucks on e-bay and I have a few.
Rusty

Thanks Rusty, that's what I've been using just looking for something else!
RK Flyer
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:06 am

NEW222 wrote:Rusty, what do you call those? Plastic hemostats? Or are they some sort of locking pliers?
Plastic hemostats. No teeth, just smooth jaws.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:59 am

Glad you posted this I am about to put a engine TD on my Baby Clown and have been concerned about the use of a tank think this is what I will go with till I can get a better hang of the Bladder maybe this will get me some experience with the starting / running of a pressure feed , going out today to pick up my repaired Fender Deluxe Reverb Amp before this guy wants to try and buy it from me he said it was sounding Sweet !! Cool Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  badbill Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:37 am

Might save some time and effort just ordering a big pack of red caps off of ebay, and some end plugs from texas timers. IMO a neater solution.
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:31 am

NEW222 wrote:Ah, ok. I had assumed that you bought a bag of that specific style of balloon, that is why i had asked. As I looked at the mixed bag here, I did not really see that style, but I may grab a bag for a look. I had heard of using a glove before, but had not tried it. Again, thanks for the picture as that picture gave me the inspiration to try the balloon tank and flower vial. But I now just saw and realized the ruler in the picture. After noticing that, the smaller available vials may be the correct size after all.

I checked to see what other shapes came in that bag.

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Dsc02911

Kinda' makes me want to have a party! I got to thinking about my tube-capsule design.. and wondered if I could maximize capacity by using a hard pick-up tube (1/8" alloy) maybe 2" long.. and attaching a short length of perforated silicone line at the rear. I haven't measured the capacity.. but using the capsule will limit it.. as opposed to running the balloon in free-air. The capsules I'm using have an inside diameter of .540" (approx. 14mm).. so the 1/2" dia. wooden spool will fit inside with clearance to spare when the balloon is stretched over it. I used one of those tiny rubber-bands (the ones the kids are using to make bracelets) triple-wrapped around the balloon/spool. This assembly drops into the capsule with plenty of clearance. I had to shorten my balloon to a length that would fit the capsule.

This photo shows the type of capsule I used. The cap is a very flexible rubber with a star-shaped hole designed for a flower stem to fit through. The spool's feed-tube pokes through and is retained by the feed-line to the engine. Probably a good idea to drill a small vent-hole in the capsule itself, just incase the cap becomes airtight. The capsule is very light.. but also plenty rigid and easy to mount to a profile fuse using the common rubber-band method.

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Kgrhqv10

The spool-hole needs care in the correct sizing/sealing of the hard tube that passes through it.. and ideally; the balloon's diameter shouldn't exceed the spool's outside diameter. You could use another type of "stopper" (rubber or cork).. but be sure to vent the tube/capsule.. or else the balloon might not collapse.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:04 pm

Use a rubber band on the neck of the balloon. No spool needed. Those tiny silicone bracelet braiding bands work pretty good.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:10 pm

I've obviously got too much time on my hands this afternoon.. Laughing Here's another approach made from a water test-sample bottle that uses a very common water/soaker bomb-balloon.

Here's a step-by-step in photos..

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Water_10
Balloon Tank Made Easier? Water_11
Balloon Tank Made Easier? Water_12
Balloon Tank Made Easier? Water_13
Balloon Tank Made Easier? Water_14

Moisten the threads for the cap with saliva.. and the cap screws right on.. and seals tightly. Drill a hole in the cap slightly smaller than your silicone fuel-line.. and you'll achieve a compression-seal there when the line is installed.
Balloon Tank Made Easier? Water_16

Dry weight is .25oz. (7gr.)

The only thing I haven't done yet is to drill a vent-hole in the bottle and test-run it. VERY easy to make..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Empty Southern-Rock style.

Post  roddie Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:31 pm

Something a little bigger.. and with some character..

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Whiske10

This "nip" bottle holds a 9" round-size party balloon and has the needed vent-hole.

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Whiske11
Balloon Tank Made Easier? Whiske12

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:54 pm

Now I need the last version. At least when I fly, I don't have to look no further than the 'site' to find something to help relieve my sorrows. Or did you actually fill the last one with nitro?

Thanks for the tutorial, and pictures. I just got in from shopping and got 3 of the vials posted, but I actually like the latter version and will have to give it a go. As I was out shopping, I was unable to locate any of the longer slender balloons. And now seeing your post allows me to try new things with what is available to me locally, in which I appreciate. Thank you.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:22 pm

Options are always nice.. Smile This latest version is heavier (.6oz/17gr. dry) but has a lot more capacity.

Shown here with the cap's lock-ring removed from the bottle-neck.

Balloon Tank Made Easier? Whiske13

You could save a little weight by cutting the bottom off the bottle. No vent would be needed.. and you'd still have a shield to protect the balloon. The cap-fitting's simplicity alone, is worth giving it a try.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:27 pm

Fitting. You wouldn't happen to be building that tank for this, would you? Very Happy
Balloon Tank Made Easier? Hqdefa10
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:58 pm

That's 4.95 Around here the next size is 9.95 Leaves but nice bottle ,, the flower places probably have tubes with out a problem to set u up// party supply for the right balloon Huh... Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next