Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Drone registration - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Drone registration - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:48 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 10:15 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by 706jim Yesterday at 8:13 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:26 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:43 am

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Mon May 13, 2024 7:37 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Drone registration - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Drone registration

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

READ! Re: Drone registration

Post  Jason_WI Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:05 pm

No way I'm going to get a permit or register to fly on my 460 acres. I have fields hidden from view. I'll stay below the tree line and no one will ever know.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:27 pm

This article questions whether your registration info will be private or not. I would guess not.
I have a State of Florida CGC number (general contractors license) and anyone can look up my Name, address, phone and email and if Ive ever been in trouble.
Its not right, after you register you could get spamalot like I do.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2496868,00.asp
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:38 am

WELP as of a few minutes ago I am now registered, should be interesting to see If I get my 5 dollar refund lol.

It was fast an painless for the most part the thing is every photo in all cases shown pics of drones not a single
Airplane pic even on examples of what required registration.

Snowman
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  stevej Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:27 am

Did you pay by credit card? Did you give your email address?

1/2A Nut wrote:WELP as of a few minutes ago I am now registered, should be interesting to see If I get my 5 dollar refund lol.

It was fast an painless for the most part the thing is every photo in all cases shown pics of drones not a single
Airplane pic even on examples of what required registration.

Snowman
stevej
stevej
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:03 am

Yes it was required to proceed to get the reg. number.
I don't fly drones rather air planes just following the min/max weight guide lines.

RC Plane
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:20 am

I'm going to wait ... like the AMA suggested .... till the deadline in January, or until they tell me my AMA number will be used for my FAA registration
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:47 am

Figure I'm gonna gift an AMA membership to my Uncle Wayne to get him a membership number. He doesn't fly his planes, that's usually left to his son and myself, while he enjoys watching and commenting. He's not on computers at all, but locked onto all the hype he's seen on TV, and is constantly asking me about it.

About the only good thing is that maybe he'll read the magazine.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:03 am

I fly RC at a city park near a International Airport (7 miles), I'm not taking no chances = ) the fact of the matter is until resolve or no resolve the FAA can now legally have me for lunch. So while the fee is waved might as well take the 3 yrs for free.

You are emailed a printable certificate for your wallet this is whats written:

Logo
Federal Aviation
Administration

Small UAS Certificate of Registration
CERTIFICATE HOLDER: XXXX XXXXX

UAS CERTIFICATE NUMBER: FAXXXXXXX

ISSUED: 12/22/2015 EXPIRES: 12/22/2018

For U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and certain non-citizen U.S. corporations, this document constitutes a Certificate of Registration. For all others, this document represents a recognition of ownership.

For all holders, for all operations other than as a model aircraft under sec. 336 of Pub. L. 112-95, additional safety authority from FAA and economic authority from DOT may be required.

Safety guidelines for flying your unmanned aircraft:

Fly below 400 feet
Never fly near other aircraft
Keep your UAS within visual line of sight
Keep away from emergency responders
Never fly over stadiums, sports events or groups of people
Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Never fly within 5 miles of an airport without first contacting air traffic control and airport authorities

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:04 am

This morning was finally a story, on a news radio station I listen to with my coffee. They noted the FAA registration for DRONES and the reader mentioned many listeners in a poll thought this was a good program.

And their pre Christmas DRONE give away contest was modified slightly this morning to note that FAA registration is required and free. (without a mention that the "free" was only first 30 days and was a rebate back to your CC from the Fed)
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:13 am

[quote="1/2A Nut"]Imagine after the 30 day free fee time period and 2 million folks sign up and pay
the fee for their 8oz plus flying recreation toys. Bingo the FAA just got funded
10 million dollars. Begs the question do they get taxed for the income infusion?

OH, NO, NO....the FAA is not receiving any "income". The registration "fee" is not a tax, nor is it considered income ( the Government does not pay taxes. They collect them,  silly) Somewhere in the FAA document it is stated the the "fee" is a "transfer"  and transfers are not included in their budget. It is "free money" that they will use to off set the "costs of implementation" of the registery... Maybe the $5 will increase if necessary...so they'll use your money to enforce their rules on you....they'll now have 10 million to go find Jason flying in his fields on private land in violation of the rules they implemented. Huh...
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:21 pm

The RC glider / soaring community strive to fly up into thermals 400ft restriction is going to suck for those folks.
I had done some soaring back in the day myself. Bungee launch to speck height was the norm.

Lighting The Tree Christmas Tree Bad Xmas Gift
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

READ! Those were the days

Post  happydad Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:07 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:The RC glider / soaring community strive to fly up into thermals 400ft restriction is going to suck for those folks.
I had done some soaring back in the day myself. Bungee launch to speck height was the norm.

Lighting The Tree Christmas Tree Bad Xmas Gift

I really miss those days. On my bucket list for this year is to climb a local hill and catch the Weatern winds over a small lake at the South end of Escondido, CA.

Happydad RC Plane i hope i can make it.
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:29 pm

I thought 400ft limit was always in place?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:08 pm

I don't know that it's always been 400 feet. I know I've had a glider up to ~2,500 feet before...

The Lofty Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ARUP Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:17 pm

I think that 400' was a 'recommendation' but not a rule. I am primarily an RC aerotow vintage sailplane kind of guy so the proposed federal (again!) regulations have me a little worried.

Drone registration - Page 3 Img_0651
ARUP
ARUP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:22 pm

That's pretty darn high... Shocked

I decided to do some reading, the 400ft limit applies when within 5 miles of an airport. The only time I ever heard about the 400ft thing was when I was flying RC in Wichita Kansas and we were only a couple miles away from McConnell AFB and the Boeing Airport. I thought that was the limit everywhere.

Guess I need to get out more, or just stick with tethered planes!

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

READ! Still nothing official from AMA

Post  happydad Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:37 am

Cribbs74 wrote:That's pretty darn high... Shocked

I decided to do some reading, the 400ft limit applies when within 5 miles of an airport. The only time I ever heard about the 400ft thing was when I was flying RC in Wichita Kansas and we were only a couple miles away from McConnell AFB and the Boeing Airport. I thought that was the limit everywhere.

There is still nothing official from the AMA on when, how and where to register. At least in my email box. Just ads for the upcoming AMA events.
Boo Hoo.

happydad RC Plane             Futaba Radio Jeep
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:42 am

The FAA registration/regulation was not unexpected. However, as with most government regulations, those having the intent to violate them are also the same individuals who will not be bothered by following the registration requirements.

My concern is the public accessibility of the registration database. While the FAA states in the registration FAQ that the data will be privately held, the Department of Transportation has stated that the information recorded during the registration process will be publicly searchable (https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/151213_SORN.pdf) and that the database may have to be made available if a request is made under the Freedom of Information Act.

If I am reading the document correctly, public availability is delineated at the top of page 5 of the PDF listed above.

This article covers several points of public accessibility: http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2015/12/foia-fight-looms-over-drone-database-216769

The "as yet unregistered" andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

READ! Are you an AMA member

Post  happydad Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:07 am

andrew wrote:The FAA registration/regulation was not unexpected.  However, as with most government regulations, those having the intent to violate them are also the same individuals who will not be bothered by following the registration requirements.

My concern is the public accessibility of the registration database.  While the FAA states in the registration FAQ that the data will be privately held, the Department of Transportation has stated that the information recorded during the registration process will be publicly searchable (https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/151213_SORN.pdf) and that the database may have to be made available if a request is made under the Freedom of Information Act.

If I am reading the document correctly, public availability is delineated at the top of page 5 of the PDF listed above.

This article covers several points of public accessibility: http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2015/12/foia-fight-looms-over-drone-database-216769  

The "as yet unregistered" andrew

If you are an AMA member, your information is already out there.
If you have a home phone, your information is already out there.
If you have a bank account, your information is already out there.
If you have a grocery store card, your information is already out there.
You get the message.
   We do not - cannot live in a vacuum any longer.

happydad RC Plane Futaba Radio Jeep Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad!
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:33 am

Cribbs74 wrote:That's pretty darn high... Shocked

same I live near the sunshine coast national airport so its the same for me otherwise the radar will pick it up and there is and air force base no too far away as well its full of F18 and F14 we see them flying 100ft from the beach and us flying past the speed of sound with there after burners on and BANG its LOUD and we wave at the pilots and they wave back well that navigator usually does wave back some times the pilot does and they come in formation IT is awesome! Airplane Flying
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:01 am

Got this yesterday. Sorry if it is a repeat of another post here...my service is acting up, making it a chore to scan past posts.

The AMA has recommended that our members hold off on registering their model aircraft with the FAA until advised by the AMA or until the FAA's legal deadline of February 19. Holding off on registration will allow time for AMA to fully consider all possible legal and political options for alleviating this unnecessary regulatory burden on our members.

In the meantime, you can help by making your voice heard with the FAA. Specifically we are asking all AMA members to submit comments on the FAA's interim rule on registration. The deadline to submit comments is January 15, 2016. All comments can be submitted at http://1.usa.gov/1Jegj0C.

Below are recommended messages to convey in your comments:

• Express your disappointment with the registration rule. As a member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA), I am disappointed with the new rule for UAS registration. I am a long time model aircraft flyer, who has operated under the guidance of the largest community-based organization (CBO) in the world for many years.

• Highlight AMA's history and safety record. Since 1936, AMA has published safety standards and offered training programs for our members - more than 20 years before the FAA was created. Our National Model Aircraft Safety Code has been recognized by Congress as well as by state legislatures as a safe and effective means of managing model aircraft enthusiasts like me
• Note that you already register with AMA. Additionally, AMA's safety program already instructs me to place my AMA number or name and address on or within my model aircraft(s), effectively accomplishing the safety and accountability objectives of the interim rule.

• Make it clear this rule is contrary to the intent of Congress. The new rule is contrary to the intent of Congress in Section 336 of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. Section 336, also referred to as the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft," clearly prohibits the FAA from promulgating any new rules for recreational users operating within the safety guidelines of a CBO. In addition, the FAA's contention that model aircraft should be considered aircraft is currently the subject of pending litigation.

• Affirm that as an AMA member you should be exempt from federal registration. The registration process is an unnecessary burden for me and the more than 185,000 other AMA members. AMA members should not be required to register with the FAA.

Thank you,

AMA Government and Regulatory Affairs Team

amagov@modeliarcraft.org

This email was sent by: Academy of Model Aeronautics
5161 E. Memorial Dr. Muncie, IN 47302 USA

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:22 pm

I went to the website entered my name and then I copied and pasted the suggested comments, revising the beginning of each paragraph. Upon completion and submission, I found I was the 1230 comment. Only 1230 ??
There is 180,000 AMA members.  Apathy will not help at this point. sleep
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:45 pm

AMA has suggested members hold off to see if they can get the courts to let us use our AMA number instead.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

READ! I agree

Post  happydad Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:36 pm

duke.johnson wrote:AMA has suggested members hold off to see if they can get the courts to let us use our AMA number instead.

I agree completely. They already have all my info, let them drag it out of me. I now have 5 "drones" under 4 ounces and 1 over the 8 ounce limit, mine is 10 ounces. My drone at 400 feet altitude would be a spec in the sky and i wouldn't know how to get it back. Besides with my battery pack it would never make it up to 400 feet in 5 minutes flight time. I ain't stupid for nothing, lol! .

P.s.  sunny in So. Cal.

Happydad RC Plane         Futaba Radio Jeep  darn where is the RC copter Emoticon

United States Canada Australia Colombia Finland France Germany Hungary Northern Ireland Spain United Kingdom
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:44 pm

I guess for those who ONLY fly CL waiting may be of some use...but i doubt it

The AMA is NEVER going to get the FAA to amend and use AMA membership in any form as equal to FAA registration; neither data base can over lap...this is the government and they already have over 100,000 registrations issued in their format... I am FA33T97LXP with FAA and 9780047 with AMA...my third AMA# in 40 years

Additionally you do not really want the AMA to be your agent pre registering with the FAA on your behalf....think about is a sec

I fly all sorts of RC and CL so I got the free 3 year crap done and don't too much care any more if or if not this whole thing is worth it

The Federal government NEVER reverses itself
NO special interest group has EVER got them(FED) to change in any meaningful way...ever

No local law enforcement will ever be smart enough to know your CL model is exempt...."if it flies it dies...ah , er must be registered"

do not read any of this that PHRED thinks the FAA rule will ever produce the intended end state

this whole thing was a waste of space, time, and created too many of us with an even greater distrust of an INCOMPETENT government

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next