Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! Cox_ba12

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! Empty
Live on Patrol

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! Empty Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs!

Post  mr_cox Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:21 am

Hello All!

At first, merry christmas!

At second, cant get the darn Queen Bee to run! It is a real challenge to get it running. Sometimes it starts to run at low speed and shut off after a couple seconds. Got the idea that it floods very easily. Much oil comes trough between the crankcase and crankshaft.

I bought this Queen Bee NIB. It is made by Cox in Santa Ana.

When I look at the Queen Bee's that i have for sale, that are made by Cox in Corona i notice that there are some differences

1: Santa Ana Runner:

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! Queenbee_sa

2: Corona model NIB:

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! Queenbee_cr

3: NIP Glowplug:

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! 3702sa03_big

The Santa Ana model have a silver glow plug, where the Corona model have a black glowplug. Also the hole around the glow plug is bigger at the Corona model. The NIP glow plug I have, form the Santa Ana era, is silver.

Now is my question, does the runner (santa ana model) have the right head? It is diffrent from the corona model, but the glow plug looks the same as the one new in package.

does someone have some experience starting those beautifull, but sensitive engines?

Thank you!

Last edited by mr_cox on Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:51 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Broken link)
mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://coxengines.eu

Back to top Go down

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! Empty Re: Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs!

Post  nitroairplane Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:44 am

Well the queen beez can use a .09 head.
I have only seen them with a black glow plug.
When running they are about as powerful as a tee dee .049 what kinda fuel are you using?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! Empty Re: Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs!

Post  mr_cox Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:32 am

I use model technics gn-25. Which containes 55%methanol 25% nitro and 20% castor.

It is opened for 2 years now. (fuel is hard to get here). a surestart start without any problems on it. But thats in its name
mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:43 am

Hmmm I use the same fuel.
It is odd, Have you checked your gaskets?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mr_cox Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:49 am

I do not see any mixture leek trough the gaskets. And the engine is brand new
mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:54 am

mr_cox wrote:I do not see any mixture leek trough the gaskets. And the engine is brand new

This is odd but maybe you should tear it down and dry it out completely then assemble and re oil.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! Empty .074

Post  dankar04 Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:43 am

Try a different plug. Could be stale fuel. Sometimes one engine will run and another will not on bad fuel.
dan
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mr_cox Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:18 pm

Will try a new glow plug. However it stills glow bright.

One problem. The old style glow head have such a small diameter glow plug hole that my tool dus not fit around the glow plug. The hole on the corona model is much bigger!

Have someone seen the head that i have on my queen bee runner before?

Thank you!
mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:42 pm

2 yr open fuel,. Methanol absorbs moisture and if it is a clear plastic jug you get the greenhouse effect with any sunlight on it (you can actually see water droplets form in the jug). Sig has a clear jug, and that immediately was poured into my old O'Donnell white jugs I saved.

If it was kept cold and dark, with the volume squeezed up to the cap then quickly capped, it should run OK tho'.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:13 pm

mr_cox wrote:Will try a new glow plug. However it stills glow bright.

One problem. The old style glow head have such a small diameter glow plug hole that my tool dus not fit around the glow plug. The hole on the corona model is much bigger!

Have someone seen the head that i have on my queen bee runner before?

Thank you!

I am sorry I do not understand that.
Do you not have a standard glowplug wrench?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mr_cox Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:29 pm

You have to remove the glow plug (not the glow head!) with a normal glow plug tool.

like this one:

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! 201000034

It will fit around the glow plug, however not in the hole of the glow Head! (smaller diameter hole than the corona one, as you could see on the picture.)

The fuel is stored in a white 500ML can. Stored in a dark place between 14~18 C. In summer it could be around 30 c Embarassed

Maybe the fuel is to old and the nitro evaporated. Will use next time the tip to squize the fuel to the top of the can. My black widow, sure start and medallion .09 runs normal on it.

Want to use the queen bee in a lazy bee.
mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:34 pm

Hm yes it comes in a plastic container with a red top right that is how mine comes.
The ones that I buy never really seal well and the fuel tends to go cloudy after a while (moisture)
I suppose you would have to grind down the outside of the tool to make it fit.
You should be able to fly a lazy well if you keep it light.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! Empty 074 QueenBee

Post  Jaspur_x Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:11 am

I have had several back in the day, never started super easy.
I always had to start them wide open throttle and my finger over the intake for a couple of prop flips to get a good prime with the muffler on,or I pulled the glowplug and a drop or 2 in the cylinder.
The original old style head was intended for the cox wrench that comes with the QB to be used on the glowplug, for better results switch to a flat ciol style plug like merlin sells,I like those a lot. The plug sticks above the head just far enough to use the cox wrench.
My Corona Ca cox plug has the bar protecting the coil, the santa anna does not;otherwise the same,not black.

Nitroairplane, not to be a jerk or argue, but the QB 074 was never a performer, just a sport engine even with a 5" or 3 blade prop, have you had a queenbee 074?
mine (3 or 4) were all basically an overweight blackwidow049 equivalent,owhere a teedee,even with the flatcoil plugs. My G-mark061 was more potent that the QB074,thats why I got the G-mark for my ace wizzard. I liked them on my airboat though.

Flying models magazine did a piece on the h.o.b. stealth sport and flew that with a queendee 074(around `86 or `88 or so) and liked it for a sport engine,nice throttling but not really more power than a black widow 049, very nice throttling though.

I havn`t even ran mine in years,but still have them.
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  mr_cox Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:51 am

WIll give it a try in a couple of hours!

Cant wait to see it run. WIll use your tips.

Jaspur, could you confirm that my Queen Bee is genuine Cox?
mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! Empty good luck

Post  Jaspur_x Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:43 am

I always had good luck starting easy with mine once you get the priming method down, they jusy never blew my skirt up and were better suited to lighter built planes than I had at the time back in the old days.The ace alpha and wizzard were not light planes.

Confirmation, is it sure looks like mine from what I can see,especially the santa anna head`s design. I do believe that estes continued the production,or at least that it was offered in `96 catalog. But the older head design should be for sure a real cox.
Mine are old enough that I`m pretty sure I do not have the newer head design,bought my last 1 in `91,and who knows how long the local shop had it on the shelf.

Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:30 am

If everything else runs fine on your fuel, it's probably just a stubborn queen bee.

I had a couple other heads in the past that were tight to the glow plug and ended up grinding down the Dubro plug tool to fit down inside the well.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:15 am

Jaspur_x wrote:I have had several back in the day, never started super easy.
I always had to start them wide open throttle and my finger over the intake for a couple of prop flips to get a good prime with the muffler on,or I pulled the glowplug and a drop or 2 in the cylinder.
The original old style head was intended for the cox wrench that comes with the QB to be used on the glowplug, for better results switch to a flat ciol style plug like merlin sells,I like those a lot. The plug sticks above the head just far enough to use the cox wrench.
My Corona Ca cox plug has the bar protecting the coil, the santa anna does not;otherwise the same,not black.

Nitroairplane, not to be a jerk or argue, but the QB 074 was never a performer, just a sport engine even with a 5" or 3 blade prop, have you had a queenbee 074?
mine (3 or 4) were all basically an overweight blackwidow049 equivalent,owhere a teedee,even with the flatcoil plugs. My G-mark061 was more potent that the QB074,thats why I got the G-mark for my ace wizzard. I liked them on my airboat though.

Flying models magazine did a piece on the h.o.b. stealth sport and flew that with a queendee 074(around `86 or `88 or so) and liked it for a sport engine,nice throttling but not really more power than a black widow 049, very nice throttling though.

I havn`t even ran mine in years,but still have them.
I had a QB and ran usually with a top flite 6x3 I found it liked that prop and was easier to start with it.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mr_cox Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:14 am

It just started.

WIthout muffler, primed in the air intake and on the piston. Had to try this several times. With every start I opened the needle valve with a 1/4th turn. At a several moment it kept running! Had to shut it off as it was inside the house.

After this run I noticed that I opened the needle 5,5 turn! Cox says in its manual to open the needle valve 3 turns, which they say would be rich!

Then i tried to start the engine outside the house. However my 2V (with long wires to get enough resistance) 5AH battery is flat. So I have to charge it one night first.

Keep you posted!
mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:28 am

That is good news.
Give it a good long break in and it should become easier to start.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! Empty sweet success!!

Post  Jaspur_x Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:19 am

Thats good news it started!! Isn`t that the way it always is with rechargable batteries. Enjoy the QB though

The cox motormounts fot the QB were decent, making my own was a pain back in those days lol
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  mr_cox Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:26 am

Hope to get it running right tommorow, with muffler. WIll give it a good break in, Will start rich at low RPM and will increase a bit with every minute.

When i flip the prop over i hear a little "tick". Noticed that i could move the rod of the piston about 0,5MM. Is it possible that it need a reset without any runtime?

I got a .09 reset tool. Will it fit the queen bee?

Best regards.

Bastiaan
mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:38 am

I dont think a .09 will reset a QB yes it is possible if this engine just was not made very well in the first place which would explain the tricky starting.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mr_cox Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:21 pm

Just grapped some new sure starts pistons. They have about the same play on the rod. So I hope it is not a problem. However you can hear it. Will try it tommorow again.

Hoped that the .09 had the same diameter, only a different stroke.

Best regards, Bastiaan
mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:30 pm

No I sure they have a different diameter too.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! Empty uhoh

Post  Jaspur_x Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:39 pm

I don`t remember cosx rver making a reset tool for the 074,I customized an 049 reset tool to work.

It could be just that new and tight of a pinch at tdc (hopefully) try it with the head off or plug out after a couple drops of lube in the cylinder and directly dripped into the socket and worked in if you are really in question.
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next