Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ball - Socket Joints
by getback Today at 7:14 am

» A little nostalgia…
by rsv1cox Today at 7:08 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Today at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:09 am

» Tired of it all…
by roddie Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 10:27 pm

» Science and Mechanics magazine's "Playboy" 14' plywood runabout plans.. circa 1950's
by roddie Yesterday at 9:30 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» Post your Older books
by crankbndr Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» Cox wrench
by layback209 Yesterday at 3:03 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by getback Yesterday at 10:04 am

» How does your Garden Grow
by getback Yesterday at 6:26 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! - Page 2 Empty Re: Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs!

Post  PV Pilot Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:05 pm

tight new motor will tick over at TDC,,
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! - Page 2 Empty wohoo

Post  Jaspur_x Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:22 pm

Vindication,or pv and I are both full of Reading
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! - Page 2 Empty Re: Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs!

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:20 am

The QB engines have a completely parallel bore, there will not be any pinch at TDC.

The regular plug is as usual a power robber but it gives a lower idle too since it is less powerful...

I have used mine with a .09 glow head with a turbo plug. It doesn't like to rev that much and the best props are around 6x3-6x4. It should match most .049-.061 engines and it is comparable to the TT07GP in terms of power (slightly better actually). Mine makes about 18000rpm on the 6x3 prop and 10% nitro; http://rcuvideos.com/video/Cox-Queen-Bee
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mr_cox Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:58 am

Tried it again today. Fuel (bid old), check. Battery (charged), check. chickenstick, check. Fuel injector, check. Opened the needle about 5 turns. After 10 minutes it began to run for slow periods. Primed it again several times and ended at the needle opened 5,5 turns.

Again I started inside the house, so when it started to run i moved to the backyard. 10 minutes later the engine finally ran. First very rich and at low rpm, but after a couple minutes I closed the needle valve about one turn and hit the gas. I can say, without a muffler this engine is a real performer.

Next time I will try it with a servo connected to the carburator and the muffler attached.

The picture was taken after the run, still wet of oil! im happy Very Happy

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! - Page 2 Qbrun1
mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://coxengines.eu

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:00 pm

What rpms are you getting?

The muffler had very little influence on the high-end on mine, while the low-end and throttling was better with the muffler on it.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mr_cox Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:29 pm

I do not (yet) own a tach Embarassed
mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:54 pm

mr_cox wrote:Tried it again today. Fuel (bid old), check. Battery (charged), check. chickenstick, check. Fuel injector, check. Opened the needle about 5 turns. After 10 minutes it began to run for slow periods. Primed it again several times and ended at the needle opened 5,5 turns.

Again I started inside the house, so when it started to run i moved to the backyard. 10 minutes later the engine finally ran. First very rich and at low rpm, but after a couple minutes I closed the needle valve about one turn and hit the gas. I can say, without a muffler this engine is a real performer.

Next time I will try it with a servo connected to the carburator and the muffler attached.

The picture was taken after the run, still wet of oil! im happy Very Happy

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! - Page 2 Qbrun1

It is good to see you got it going well Bastiaan.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! - Page 2 Empty cool

Post  Jaspur_x Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:59 am

I rarely even use my tach,I only bought 1 for testing stuff out, its a little simpler testing rpm than static thrust or I would only use thrust for testing performance Shocked

My QB074 wouldn`t pull the ace alpha as well as the G-mark061r/c did,same props,same fuel;thats why QB got retired to airboat duty.
Granted,she was a really heavy plane back in the day;std radio equip,steerable nose wheel,2oz fuel tank. But the G-mark had a bit more get up and go,stil gets up and goes 2 lol!

Just talking about it makes me want to finish the install on the wizzard and head to my field.

Of course,by comparrison,the teedee049 r/c hauled the mail on that ace alpha,but I liked the G-marks muffler compared to the teedee scream,still do. Have a muffler made up for the teedeer/c too, once I get my carb fuel nipple;stuch with a throttle ring for now Sad
But the teedee w/no muffler keeps the valley interesting lol! and my ears ringing, still, since saturday morning Huh...
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:50 am

It is the regular glow plugs that are detrimental for the engine performance. That's why, or at least one of the reasons, that the G-mark, Cox QB, Brodak mkII, and the TT07GP doesn't develop any power in their stock form.

Replace the head with a proper one that uses a Nelson or Turbo plug and then they can start to deliver some power too.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:22 am

One thing that se guys did was to use a small amount of thread lock on the threads of the plug that grabs a bit of performance back.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:16 pm

Has anyone ever performed this mod on a Queen Bee carb? I got these instructions with a used engine I bought. Not sure which magazine they were from or if it was ever published.

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! - Page 2 Queen_10
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Queen Bee starting challenges | It runs! - Page 2 Empty Yes

Post  Jaspur_x Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:44 pm

I did those mods on a coupe of mine,depending on the weather this either helped or not,I would swap carbs between stock and modded to see which worked best on which day.
The stock carb usually worked pretty well on most days anyway lol!
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:52 am

It runs a little rich on the low end without an airbleed but I haven't had any problems with that while bench running. Still thinking about a plane for mine. The engine does about 4500-18000rpm on a 6x3 prop so it should fly something although it is heavy.

One mod I've made to mine is on the throttle barrel. The slot for the limiting screw was poorly machined and it could go past full throttle, which is hard to see with the screen on. A bit of JB-weld fixed that.

Here is a short bench-run;

Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:14 am

Speaking of the infamous Queen Bee, my son had one that was very hard to hand start. The piston/rod ball joint was very loose. I tightened it up the hard way (a tap at a time using a jewelers staking set). It definitely helped the starting but it was still its same old self in the air.
al
Big Al
Big Al
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:44 am

Hi Bastiaan
I got a nip 074 glow which is the original black and white it looks as though a nice long reach 7mm
socket will do the job, I use one on my YS's as those hobby shop wrenches wont fit an engine 26 times
bigger either. Perhaps they are a little different in performance to the brass ones although
I thought being a standard short reach plug playing around with heat may get it to fire more easily.
The fuel/nitro going off is a fallacy perhaps if you leave it open it may, but as stated above the
methanol absorbs water from the atmosphere but you put a cap on it don't you.. Strain/filter the fuel
regularly, you'll be suprised of the nasties that are in there and find there way in there just waitng to
block those nice small capillaries on your engine. Over in Turkey, Tornado is my and my Partners main
competition and they are Dutch do they not do Castor based fuel?
If not I picked a load of GX25 at the weekend I'd be happy to send you some.
J
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mr_cox Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:41 pm

Dear John

I dont think that sending fuel is an option. But thank you for the kind offer!

I was looking trough my parts today and noticed that Cox made a special 6x3 prop for the Queen Bee. Did not know that before and drilled out a regular 6x3 to fit the QB. I am afraid that the travveling prop is no option on my Queen Bee, which I had in mind to use for the prop.
mr_cox
mr_cox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:49 pm

John Goddard wrote:Hi Bastiaan
I got a nip 074 glow which is the original black and white it looks as though a nice long reach 7mm
socket will do the job, I use one on my YS's as those hobby shop wrenches wont fit an engine 26 times
bigger either. Perhaps they are a little different in performance to the brass ones although
I thought being a standard short reach plug playing around with heat may get it to fire more easily.
The fuel/nitro going off is a fallacy perhaps if you leave it open it may, but as stated above the
methanol absorbs water from the atmosphere but you put a cap on it don't you.. Strain/filter the fuel
regularly, you'll be suprised of the nasties that are in there and find there way in there just waitng to
block those nice small capillaries on your engine. Over in Turkey, Tornado is my and my Partners main
competition and they are Dutch do they not do Castor based fuel?
If not I picked a load of GX25 at the weekend I'd be happy to send you some.
J

did you get it at Ally oddly enough I could not find a fuel stand there!
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:00 pm

No I don't think there was any there.
I was at Hobby Stores Sat AM
Smile
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:09 pm

Ahhh I mhave to head there tomorrow or the day after I only have like 100 ml left.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2