Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video - Page 2 Cox_ba12

'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by DanMc Today at 7:25 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Today at 7:04 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by 944_Jim Today at 4:31 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by balogh Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Today at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Today at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 2:29 pm

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by 944_Jim Today at 11:52 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video - Page 2 Empty Re: 'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video

Post  Kim Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:21 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Great stuff Kim.  The "Piet" reminds me a lot of my late brother's Luton Minor.

Sadly, after his death his wife sold it- I would have loved to keep it in the family.  Unlike the Piet it is only a single place, so I never had the opportunity for a ride.  He must have enjoyed the "wind in the hair" experience because he flew that puppy thousands of miles to shows & fly-ins.

The Luton's are one of my favorites...along with the Heath Parasol, Piets, and others in that league.

Funny thing, that it always seemed that the people most likely to quickly identify them were model builders, who'd either constructed copies of them or just read about them in in plans, magazines, or such.

There used to be two Heath Parasols that attended Oshkosh, one with an original Henderson motorcycle engine.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video - Page 2 Empty Re: 'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video

Post  RknRusty Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:12 am

Great thread for gazing, Thanks, Kim.
A couple of questions:
Are the airfoils between the wheels adjustable during flight? Or once correctly installed, are they ever flight trimmed for any reason after the initial setup?

Do the control horns on the control surfaces have an adjustable throw like on our models?

That plane with the exhaust pipe down the side, I'm guessing it's an add-on by the owner, maybe for noise/smoke reduction. Could that cause engine cooling issues? Or is it more common than I realize?

Thanks again for the interesting thread.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:29 pm

JPvelo wrote:'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video - Page 2 AFE4dyx

What size APC do you suppose that is? lol!

I used to date an airline pilot who built the majority of her private hours in a pietenpol.

Jim
Lol, I don't know, but this one has a Thunder Tiger prop:
'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video - Page 2 Dsc_0012

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:09 pm

RknRusty wrote:Great thread for gazing, Thanks, Kim.
A couple of questions:
Are the airfoils between the wheels adjustable during flight? Or once correctly installed, are they ever flight trimmed for any reason after the initial setup?

Do the control horns on the control surfaces have an adjustable throw like on our models?

That plane with the exhaust pipe down the side, I'm guessing it's an add-on by the owner, maybe for noise/smoke reduction. Could that cause engine cooling issues? Or is it more common than I realize?

Thanks again for the interesting thread.
Rusty

Hey Rusty, I've got a little experience with Experimental planes, and will take a shot at answering, but if I'm off, anyone else please check in.
                            ------------------------------------------------
"Are the airfoils between the wheels adjustable during flight? Or once correctly installed, are they ever flight trimmed for any reason after the initial setup?"

These are not a Pietenpol item, but a builder's artistic take on customizing their plane.  They are bolted in place, but I think CAN be ground-adjusted as the plane goes through it's testing period.

An funny side-note, my bud, Steve Eldridge liked to 'air trim' his Pietenpol in flight by manually moving the wing's center hatch, which is hinged to allow easy access to the Piet's rear cockpit!
From my scrapbook:

'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video - Page 2 8_211

Flying with Steve was always entertaining.  He managed to 'bout scare the crap out of me when he cranked up a smoke system I didn't know he had.  I was close in on his right wing when white smoke exploded from his Piet's exhaust pipe.  I thought his engine had sucked a valve, and hauled out and away to give him room for his 'emergency landing'

'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video - Page 2 Chasin10

--------------------------------------
"Do the control horns on the control surfaces have an adjustable throw like on our models?"

All of the geometry and throw of the surfaces and their cables' routing are laided out in the plans.  Builders are strongly advised to adhere to the plans, but the planes ARE experimental, so a lot of builders take liberties with the designs.

The builder of the Dillhoefer Piet even ran his carry-through aileron cable across the top of the wing...sure makes it easy to inspect...

'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video - Page 2 8_310

-------------------------------

"That plane with the exhaust pipe down the side, I'm guessing it's an add-on by the owner, maybe for noise/smoke reduction. Could that cause engine cooling issues? Or is it more common than I realize?"

I don't know if it'd cause cooling problems or not...think it was done more for antique flavor maybe.  It DID quiet it down a lot in flight.  I intend to ask him about it on the Pietenpol Facebook page...he has a 'Build Thread' there.

Of course, we ALL know that the really cool planes have long exhaust pipes!

'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video - Page 2 8_410

Last edited by Kim on Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:45 pm

On my favorite WW1 aircraft, the Nieuport 28 I often wondered if perhaps the angle of the horizontal strut located between the wheels was variable as a trimming device. Sort of far fetched on my part and probably negated by the fixed rod/wire extending down from the fuselage to the center of the strut.

Nice photo by Sandstein of a Swiss Air Force original WW1 Nieuport 28 flown by them in 1921/22.

'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video - Page 2 Swiss_10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:11 pm

Kim wrote:
Oldenginerod wrote:Great stuff Kim.  The "Piet" reminds me a lot of my late brother's Luton Minor.

The Luton's are one of my favorites...along with the Heath Parasol, Piets, and others in that league.

Funny thing, that it always seemed that the people most likely to quickly identify them were model builders, who'd either constructed copies of them or just read about them in in plans, magazines, or such.

There used to be two Heath Parasols that attended Oshkosh, one with an original Henderson motorcycle engine.
I mate of mine has an original converted Henderson engine which he has restored and displays, although the authorities won't let him run it in public.  This is the guy who's RR Merlin I've posted pictures of before.  Known as the Clancy-Watt Henderson, it came from an Aussie designed Clancy Skybaby.  All these designs cover familiar territiory.  Apparently back in the day the aircraft that his engine came from had made an emergency landing in a valley and, once repaired, was unable to get up enough pace in the space available to get airbourne.  Apparently that's where the aircraft stayed & never flew again.
'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video - Page 2 Clancy10
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Hey Kim and friends, The October 2017 edition of Model Aviation magazine has a cover-photo and build-article of a Pietenpol Air Camper. The digital plans are a free download. The model is a 48" span (1:7.25 scale). It's designed as an EP/Park-Flyer.. but it really should have an IC engine IMHO...  Cool You wouldn't happen to have an old Saito FA30 laying around that needs a home.. would you?

http://www.modelaviation.com/pietenpol-air-camper

'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video - Page 2 Pieten11
'On the Road Again'...the 2016 Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, Wisconsin...The Video - Page 2 Pieten10

I still haven't straightened-out my mailing address with the AMA.. Rolling Eyes so my brother; whom I lived with years ago.. get's any AMA-related mail. I just received the October issue of the magazine from him about a week ago.. or I would have posted this sooner.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2