Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive Cox_ba12

22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 11:15 am

» need info on this
by lla Today at 10:30 am

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:26 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 9:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 8:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:30 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 6:23 am

» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive Empty
Live on Patrol

22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive

Go down

22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive Empty 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive

Post  roddie Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:48 am

Hi gang, My focus lately has been with custom-built model boats.. powered by our little (.049) Cox engines. There isn't much to see on YouTube.. probably because of the inherent challenges involved with setting-up a small IC (glow) engine powered model. The Dumas company offers small boat kits and hardware for Cox engines.. but their kits are expensive and I think that most boat modelers today would be more apt to build a "RTR" electric-powered model because of the convenience.

Like many of us here; I'm a "tinkerer"... and prefer to take non-orthodox measures when it comes to my models. I enjoy the challenges involved with taking that approach. I recently sourced a jet-pump drive kit designed for a "380" brushed electric motor that I'm going to power with a Cox .049 reed-valve engine. Here's that thread.

That said; I recently searched Amazon for components to build a more conventional "surface-drive" (drive-shaft running in a stuffing-tube with exposed propeller) system for the same type Cox .049 reed-valve engine.

I found some propellers that looked promising. They were cheap.. and came with the option to run CW/CCW rotation.

22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive Amazon17

Ten "pairs" for ten "bucks"...

22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive Amazon18

There was the matter of how to "lock" the hub on a prospective "drive-shaft".. as they are not slotted for a "drive-dog". There's just a 1.9mm (.078") dia. through-hole.. and that's it. I did some researching on bicycle-wheel "spokes".. which are commonly 2.0mm (14GA)/2.3mm (13GA) sizes. The 2.0mm spoke has a shaft dia. of .078" and a threaded (2.2mm X 0.45mm thread) dia. of .0865" which seemed promising. They were also available in stainless steel.. which is a big plus for this application.

22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive Bicycl10

Ten spokes for eight bucks...

22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive Bicycl11

Once I received the components.. i proceeded to screw one of the props onto the threaded-end of the spoke. A tight "self-threading" fit.. which required chucking the spoke in my cordless VSR drill to "drive" the prop further onto the shaft. The hub's thickness is 10mm which is approximately the threaded length on the spoke.

The photo below shows a 1/8" OD brass tube (K & S) which has an ID of .096". That's too large for the spoke's .078" diameter.. so I need to source a tube that's a little smaller.. maybe having a 2.1mm (.083") inner diameter.

22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive 14g_bi10

This should work well. There's no way that the prop is going to loosen on the shaft. Next step is to source a 2mm to 3.17mm adaptive coupling. I may even try to drill and tap a 2mm coupling to accept a 5-40 threaded stub-shaft for the engine side.. Huh...

I like the reed-valve engines.. because they're capable of running equally well in either direction of rotation. Consider the possibility of building a twin-engine boat with counter-rotating propellers.. which would eliminate the "prop-walk" (paddle-wheel) effect. This is a possibility with reed-valve engines running these propellers. Eyebrows
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive Empty Re: 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive

Post  getback Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:01 am

getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive Empty Re: 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive

Post  roddie Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:46 am

getback wrote:You may have to drill one end of the coupler out to fit https://www.google.com/search?q=2mm+to+3.17mm+adaptive+coupling&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8  may want to give this a read too  https://www.mikipulley.co.jp/EN/Products/FlexibleCouplings/about.html  The tubing as close as I can get is 2.0 >> https://www.amazon.com/s?k=.083+mmhobby+brass+tubing&crid=38EJHPCVGTRMZ&sprefix=083+mmhobby+brass+tubing%2Caps%2C85&ref=nb_sb_noss  

Hi Eric, Thanks for those links. I appreciate your taking the time to help me out with this project. Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:14 pm

I drilled-out a 2.0mm coupler to 3.17mm to accept a 5-40 cap-screw with head removed.. and flats filed for grub-screws. The other (2.0mm) side receives my 2.0mm stainless-steel wire-drive.

22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive Coupli11

I drilled a .063" dia. cross-hole through the coupler, which accepts a 1/16" music-wire stub for a "wrench".. to manually rotate (or lock) the drive if.. necessary.

22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive Coupli10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down