Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Walter Musciano Cox_ba12

Walter Musciano Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:45 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:34 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 12:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 12:24 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by duaneh Today at 11:48 am

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Today at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Today at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:12 am

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:57 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Walter Musciano Empty
Live on Patrol

Walter Musciano

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Walter Musciano Empty Walter Musciano

Post  Eddy Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:34 pm

I have done a search of Mr. Walter Musciano, and can only come up with the Scientific planes and such related to him here. I just wanted to know if any one here has information on Mr. Musciano? If he is still living, as he must be in his 90's now. I believe his wife passed away some time ago, and that he may have moved into a nursing home. He might have been staying somewhere on the east coast or even in Florida.  I met Walter Musciano and Larry Rice from Blackhawk models in 2008 or 9, as they both came to our Musciano Hollow Log contest. Walter autographed our planes, and seemed such a  gentleman while telling us the history of the Scientific co. They answered all of the questions we presented to Walter and Larry that summer day. We are going to put together another Musciano Hollow Log contest sometime this summer, after taking several years off.  We talked of what became of Mr. Musciano at our last meeting on planning our summer control line events. We all have seemed to have lost contact with Mr. Walter Musciano. We hope some one on this site might have some information for us, thank you all.

Last edited by Eddy on Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : coma's)
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Walter Musciano Empty Re: Walter Musciano

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:47 pm

Walter would be 96 this year. I think he may still be living, last I heard he was in a nursing home. If he had passed we probably would have caught wind of it.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:04 pm

It's nice to know that Mr. Musciano is thought about and remembered in such a fond way. Best of luck Eddy, with this year's "Musciano/Scientific Hollow-Log" event. Please post info./photos here. Thanks! Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:45 pm

Here's a nice autobiography of Walt. I didn't know he was an orphan when his father passed away at age 13, story is touching and his history of modelling amazing. Perhaps that is why he wanted to make sure the youth in America and exported overseas had proper easy to build models to grow up with.

AMA: Walter A (Walt) Musciano 2007 Autobiography (PDF)
Walter Musciano Walt_m10

Yes, a search nets nothing so far in obituaries, so it is possible that he is still alive. I built a number of his planes while growing up, even though stand way off scale just having a full fuselage made them look so much nicer than the profile kits of other manufacturers of the time.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:36 am

getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:15 am

I've been very lucky to have actual contact (although written) with several of my "Model Airplane Heroes" and Mr. Musciano is one of them.  Back in 2001, I traded notes with him when ordering plan sheets of his Scientific models.  Some were hollow logs, while others, like Big Otto and Zipper had built up fuses.

Some of my best memories.

Walter Musciano Notes_10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Isn't it wonderful when people write back!

I enjoyed the memo about the Zipper, a shared favorite of ours.

I wish I had Walt's hair. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:35 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Isn't it wonderful when people write back!

I enjoyed the memo about the Zipper, a shared favorite of ours.

I wish I had Walt's hair.  Smile

Bob

Yeah!!!  It held more value (for me) than of having gotten a written note back from any "celebrity" I could think of!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Walter Musciano Empty Walter Musciano

Post  Eddy Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:57 pm

Thank you for the information on Walter. I guess it is safe right now to assume that Walter is still with us. I had read some of Walters autobiography else where but now that it is here I will finish it, thank you. Yes it was a pleasure meeting Walter and Larry face to face, we all so enjoyed their company. It would be awesome if Walter could leave a message us here. That he appreciates what is being done to keep alive, what he started in the model plane building so long ago. I so enjoyed the evenings spent building his u-control planes, and to fly them on the weekends. Thank you Walter Musciano for what you did for our generation while growing up, I am so thankful to have met you, and to learn more through this engine forum.
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:10 pm

Walt came to our field in Philadelphia around 2000. I believe Bob Zambelli who flies with Rusty was responsible for that day. Bob moved from Pennsylvania a number of years ago and I have had limited contact with him a few times over the past couple of years. Bob and a few others of our club were quite regulars in the Musciano events. Walt had some neat designs and many of the plans are in the older American Modeller mags. Bob's Stunt Rocket is the picture on the Black Hawk models box.Bob's version though was not built from the kit as it was a very lightweight fiberglass and carbon fiber.

I just borrowed some Scientific plans from a fellow club member and intermixed with the plans were letters from Walt. It was very clear he was a sincere person. My buddy Dan was making the aluminum cowls for several of the models. These would be the cowls for the Bel-Air, the Triplane, Staggerwing and several others that used that style of cowling.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:24 pm

Eddy wrote: We are going to put together another Musciano Hollow Log contest sometime this summer, after taking several years off.  We talked of what became of Mr. Musciano at our last meeting on planning our summer control line events. We all have seemed to have lost contact with Mr. Walter Musciano. We hope some one on this site might have some information for us, thank you all.

Does your group have a Facebook Page or Web Site?
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:41 pm

Did anyone try looking at public records?

This looks like it might be him, name age and location make sense: https://www.instantcheckmate.com/people/walter-musciano/
Kim's letter is stamped with a Lodi address, and sure enough that is in this record.

This is one (of probably many) sites that claim to offer public record info.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:24 pm

Eddy, as Ken mentioned, Walt and Bob Zambelli were friends from back in Walt's modeling days. I'll call Bob Tuesday and ask him what he knows of his old friend. I will let you know whatever I can find out.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:10 pm

Rusty, it's good to see you on here. Bob is neat to talk with and I always enjoy doing so. Bob had just completed his Brodak Stinger which was a Dale Kirn design. Bob held out the phone at the field and said " Say hello to Dale". Bob kept in touch with the pioneers. Ron mentioned that Walt was in a home and I recall that which was a few years back. I think his memory was failing. I hope he's doing well. He touched many people new and old. One plane I remember well as a youngster was a Cessna Birdog. It's one that just doesn't want to exit the memory banks.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  P-40 Warhawk Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:32 am

A good control line buddy of mine was in contact with Mr Musciano, as far as I know he was in a nursing home but he passed away a couple of years ago.I will get in contact with my friend and find out the details.
P-40 Warhawk
P-40 Warhawk
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:20 am

P-40 Warhawk wrote:A good control line buddy of mine was in contact with Mr Musciano, as far as I know he was in a nursing home but he passed away a couple of years ago. I will get in contact with my friend and find out the details.
Thanks, P-40 Warhawk for the first clue on Walt's whereabouts. I do about a nursing home a week playing jazz sax for the residents with my portable sound system for my backing band (15" powered speaker & netbook as my MP3 player, saxes - soprano, alto, tenor or bari) for the Salvation Army. After doing this for the past couple years, one more or less becomes familiar with some of their regular patients. I've seen them come and go.

Unfortunately once a senior requires nursing care, unless something simple like recovering from recent surgery, passing illness or fall (broken arm, not a hip), often more than not they are on their last leg in life. Sad
Yes, we'd all be interested to know. sunny

Somewhere I have a hand typed letter from the late Bill (William) Winter, former American Aircraft Modeler and Model Aviation editor, and designer. Back around 1983, I sent him 2 NOS Jetex 50 engines in their original packaging. I could not find the fuel pellets to fire them, thought he might appreciate them. He sent me a very nice short (manual not Selectric - remember those IBM's?) hand typed letter on smaller correspondence paper. He mentioned how he got his Buzzard Bombshell to thermal, recommended I try it. (I mentioned in my note with the engines, I enjoyed flying single channel aircraft.)

Back in the early 2000's, I came across the daughter of the late Paul Del Gatto, another great aircraft designer. She had posted on Joe Wagner, engine guru's Small Flight on-line newsletter. (People would E-mail Joe, he'd combine our E-mails, comment on them, then E-mail us all the PDF link - great times.) She was looking for a memento to remember her late father by. I happened to have an extra original plan I bought NOS from Sig when they were liquidating the last of their Berkeley (Sig Craftsmanship series) plans in the mid 1990's. I was glad to give her that copy. (I think it was the 36" Stinson L-5 - grey matter is getting fuzzy. Embarassed )

If I locate Bill's letter, will scan and post it. Kim, appreciate you posting Walt's personal notes to you.
These were very nice people, personable, friendly. cheers
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  P-40 Warhawk Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:15 pm

Okay,I spoke to my buddy, and he said that when he last corresponded with him,Walt he was in a nursing home in New Jersey, as to whether he is still with us that question is up in the air but my buddy is going to check and get back to me.
P-40 Warhawk
P-40 Warhawk
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Walter Musciano Empty Re: Walt Musciano

Post  jmanfredi2@aol.com Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:57 pm

To update this thread, I am sad to report that Walt passed last night. I have known him and his family for over 50 years. He was a great man, and was quite inspirational in my life. He had a career as a naval architect, and as you all know was an avid model plane enthusiast, designing and constructing many classics. He also authored north of twenty books over his lifetime. I don't think his obit is up yet but look out for it. RIP Walt.
jmanfredi2@aol.com
jmanfredi2@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:19 pm

Thanks jmanfredi2!

Wow! He had a long life, and inspired so many of us.

I remember being about 10 years old and hanging out in the local library. I was particularly interested in the children's section hobby books (Dewey Decimal system 630's-700's).

Mr. Musciano's control line book was one of my favorites. I was absolutely captivated by the F-82 hollow log model in the book!

The Scientific Challenger BHM clone (based on his Challenger) is in the Hobby Closet waiting for bench time.

All I can say is that his work still inspires me. Prayers for his family in their time of mourning.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:58 pm

Fellow modelers,
I'm so sorry to hear about Walt passing away.

I'm also sorry for my lax promise keeping after I said I would ask Bob Z if he had any current knowledge of his old friend. Every time I see Bob, I just plain forget to ask. He has done a masterful job of building a great many of Walt's planes, many of which he served to consult on, both designing and prototyping. He has given me a fat manila envelope stuffed with Musciano plans. I expect they are all available, but if there are some you want and cannot locate, check with me and I will take a look and see if I have it.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:18 pm

THanks, jmanfredi2 for updating us on Walt, sorry to hear of his passing, my condolences to the family. If you find a link to his obit, if you could post it would greatly appreciate it.

I Thessalonians 4:16-17 (NHEB) wrote:For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with God's trumpet. The dead in Christ will rise first, then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air. So we will be with the Lord forever.

If Walt personally knew the Lord, those of us who know the Lord, too will one day see him again.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:45 am

RIP Walt Musciano , and Thank You for all the models and fun you brought to this world !! Airplane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:22 am

One Great Man
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:42 am

I regret the loss of Mr. Walt, from this place in the world my condolences to his family. Know that your legacy has come to many corners of the world, for all that, thank you very much Mr. Walt!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Walter Musciano Empty RIP Walt Musciano

Post  fredvon4 Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:53 am

He touched more people than he will ever know....Generations!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next