Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Airbrush setup Cox_ba12

Airbrush setup Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I break for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 12:09 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Airbrush setup Empty
Live on Patrol

Airbrush setup

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Airbrush setup Empty Airbrush setup

Post  crankbndr Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:29 pm

I decided to try some airbrushing using my shop compressor and run hose from compressor to filter and pressure regulator then on to airbrush.
Gathered some parts and just realized my fittings are all NPT and the airbrush and hose is BSP! OOooo balls!! Now I need a NPT to BSP fitting.
I doubt I will find that local, anyone else run into this?
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Airbrush setup Empty Re: Airbrush setup

Post  Marleysky Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:55 pm

Unfortunately yes. I believe thats why I rolled the hose up and repacked the el cheepo air brush I inherited from my Step dad. There is a short 30” or so cloth covered hose that connects to the air source, but doesn’t fit anything I had available. I assumed it had to connect to a Freon can or something “not normal”. I figured if and when I find something I need to airbrush I’d just chop off the Odd fitting and clamp it on a barbed fitting.  Did a quick google and found lots of BSP to BSP fittings but no NPT to BSP.

https://tcpglobal.com/collections/airbrush-fittings

E bay does have some: Airbrush setup 108ccb10
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:03 pm

Thanks for your work on this, I think BSPT is different than BSP. The T means tapered and BSP is straight. AAAarrrrrggggggg
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:23 pm

At these low pressures the barbed fittings would probably work
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:51 pm

I have a cheepie Harbor Freight airbrush. Never went over 32 psi to spray dope. If it comes down to it, use the tapered thread BSPT and epoxy the thing into an adapter.
My motorcycle's case studs are held in with JB Weld. I doubt air at 32 psi is any harder to keep up with than those studs!

Oh, and the Harbor Freight air brush had all I needed to connect it to my Craftsman compressor.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:43 pm

Probably some local craft store would have something. Here is just a random search that might have something? https://www.paascheairbrush.com/product-category/airbrush/airbrush-airbrush-and-sprayer-accessories/airbrush-airbrush-and-sprayer-accessories-adapters/ You would not get it by tomorrow though.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:20 am

There are adapters available that the air gun hose screws into one end and the other end is the male quick connect compressor fitting. When I get home tonight I will see if I still have one I can send you.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:34 am

aspeed wrote:Probably some local craft store would have something.  Here is just a random search that might have something?   https://www.paascheairbrush.com/product-category/airbrush/airbrush-airbrush-and-sprayer-accessories/airbrush-airbrush-and-sprayer-accessories-adapters/ You would not get it by tomorrow though.

They do have the fitting,

https://www.paascheairbrush.com/product/hf-116/

Airbrush setup Fittin10
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:36 am

fit90 wrote:There are adapters available that the air gun hose screws into one end and the other end is the male quick connect compressor fitting. When I get home tonight I will see if I still have one I can send you.

Thanks fit90, I found the part I need.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:23 am

Pipe thread info, confusing enough? Yes

https://www.cpcworldwide.com/Downloads/NPT.pdf
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:02 pm

Airbrush setup Ah110

Airbrush setup Ah210

Airbrush setup Ah310

Since this has been on my mind all day I dug it up and took a few pics. It is basically three parts. 1) A regular compressed air quick male disconnect, 2) A reducer, 3) the assembly to screw the hose onto a can of compressed air. If you need it just pm me your address.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:47 am

It's good that this thread came up now, because last Thursday I went to Harbor freight and bought all the pieces to set up an airbrush so I can graduate from rattle cans. My new brush is a siphon style. I was disappointed they didn't have a gravity feed. I may have questions when I get around to putting some dope in it to test spray and get my pressure settings figured out. I'm using a 4 gallon Coleman compressor. I bought an additional inline filter and regulator.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:17 am

Rusty, Harbor Freight has a gravity feed gun that is ok if your compressor can put out the 3 CFM. https://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html  I have a couple similar ones.  One sprays air all the time and the trigger lets out the fluid. The other opens the air and fluid all at once. The second one is better in my case with a larger compressor.  Some other style guns pressurise the cup, and use less CFM.  I have one of those which came with my little diaphram style compressor that I bought for my airbrush.  It worked pretty good for painting my car.  Much too big for models.  I never had much luck spraying dope, and rarely use it anymore.  It seems to dry out in the gun while using it.  I can't really get it any more locally.  For models I normally use an old Badger 250 gun with no fluid adjustment as it cleans easier. I bought a bigger jar too. I don't do concours models though. You will have fun playing around for a while using different amounts of reducer and pressure....

Last edited by aspeed on Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:25 am

I  bought a bunch of all these from HF with coupons etc.... the 4 oz gun at $35 is a GREAT gun
many of the others I have spares of... get lazy and not cleay correctly...in the trash....grin

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/paint.html
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:05 pm

Got the setup blowing air today. Long coiled hose from compressor to filter and regulator then a NPT to BSP adaptor to brush hose. The BSP on the brush hose and brush are straight thread so need a O ring or gasket.
Going to try to spray some Liquid Chrome on old Cox parts that lost their Chrome.

Airbrush setup Dsc02212
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:57 am

Let us know how it goes. I have a little black brush like that one next to your silver one. I bought a new 6 gal. Craftsman(Porter Cable) compressor last weekend.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Yes, this one looks like it will put out more paint on a larger area than the Iwata.

Airbrush setup Dsc02213
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:59 am

Thats kidy like my set up , heck i run around 50# on my regulator to get an even spray with the mix 1 to 3 thinner sometimes less if you want more color / Have you had a chance to use the new one yet ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:25 pm

No I haven't used it yet, I have to prep the parts and figure out some kind of "tree" to hold 12+ little parts for spray.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:21 pm

crankbndr wrote:Yes, this one looks like it will put out more paint on a larger area than the Iwata.

Airbrush setup Dsc02213
That looks like mine, maybe an increment larger... hard to tell in te picture. I have not shot any fluid through mine yet, but I have trouble regulating the pressure. I pump the 6 gal. tank up to 180 pounds, and set the output to 80. The 5 foot long fabric covered hose is the same as yours and it's rated at a max pressure of 85 pounds, and a bursting pressure a little less than twice that.

So I hold the trigger down and set the inline regulator(right where the blue hose begins) to 35 pounds, my guesstimated spraying pressure. When I let off the trigger, it climbs back up to the compressor output pressure of 80. So far so good. But when I press the trigger again, as I would to spray the next pass, I have to wait for maybe 5 or more seconds for the pressure to fall back to 35 pounds. That's a lot of wasted dope.

Do you have this problem? Do you think maybe it's because the blue fabric hose is swelling under pressure, or maybe just the wide volume of that hose is too much? Maybe that narrow little black hard plastic hose will solve the problem. What do you think, are you having similar pressure problems?

I would have tried it, but I had to abort the shop after I fell down on the concrete. I'can't be sure till my x-ray Wednesday, but it feels an awful lot like I've fractured that hip... the other one. The newly (twice-repaired)hip is doing great.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:44 pm

Watch yourself. We are all getting older. I took a dive myself tripped on a stake and landed on a steel stake which gouged my hand and then I landed on the same steel stake with my butt. Still hurts, and my neck is sore, have trouble backing up the car, and I am only 60 going on 90. Building a toolshed. Anyway, I had a problem with my paint guns like you. It would blast hard, and then fizzle out to a more stable pressure. It was bad with my weak diaphram airbrush compressor but cured it with my 2 hp compressor. The bigger guns were worse, and the compressor could not keep up. Some of my guns required 8 cu. ft./min and would do that. My compressor only puts out 6 cu ft on a good day. An airbrush requires much less of course. Just put in some water and play around for a bit to see if it makes a difference. Water sprays much easier than paint but you can see what happens. I have a similar airbrush to the black one that just never worked. It would not pick up the paint at all. I have lots of guns now from over the years sales, garage sales...
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:47 am

RknRusty wrote:
crankbndr wrote:Yes, this one looks like it will put out more paint on a larger area than the Iwata.

Airbrush setup Dsc02213
That looks like mine, maybe an increment larger... hard to tell in te picture. I have not shot any fluid through mine yet, but I have trouble regulating the pressure. I pump the 6 gal. tank up to 180 pounds, and set the output to 80. The 5 foot long fabric covered hose is the same as yours and it's rated at a max pressure of 85 pounds, and a bursting pressure a little less than twice that.

So I hold the trigger down and set the inline regulator(right where the blue hose begins) to 35 pounds, my guesstimated spraying pressure. When I let off the trigger, it climbs back up to the compressor output pressure of 80. So far so good. But when I press the trigger again, as I would to spray the next pass, I have to wait for maybe 5 or more seconds for the pressure to fall back to 35 pounds. That's a lot of wasted dope.

Do you have this problem? Do you think maybe it's because the blue fabric hose is swelling under pressure, or maybe just the wide volume of that hose is too much? Maybe that narrow little black hard plastic hose will solve the problem. What do you think, are you having similar pressure problems?

I would have tried it, but I had to abort the shop after I fell down on the concrete. I'can't be sure till my x-ray Wednesday, but it feels an awful lot like I've fractured that hip... the other one. The newly (twice-repaired)hip is doing great.

Rusty

Rusty,

I hope your hip is not serious, at least not fractured.

Two things you might want to try are having the pressure to the regulator only five or so psi above your air gun's operating pressure. And, see if your air gun is able to spray just air, no paint. This is done by pressing the trigger part way. If so, then you can spray just air until all pressures stabilize. When spraying with full size equipment I usually have a constant stream of air and only spray paint as the air gun is getting close to what ever is being painted.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:18 pm

Last Saturday evening when a wrench slipped out of my vice and I fell onto the concrete, I just knew I'd fractured my "good" hip, which had been hurting pretty badly for a few days. Then I dumbly posted about it in this thread. It's not busted. I finally got an x-ray today, and it's just arthritis, which hopefully will clear up soon. I goofed.

My vivid imagination rarely takes a rest. That can be a good thing, in that the inside of my head is basically a never ending cartoon show, so I keep myself(and others) pretty well entertained. If you ever catch me laughing out of context, that'll probably be why. But other times it possesses me to blab dumb stuff such as the aforementioned example.
Sorry about that.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:27 pm

I must have missed that. I am glad things are not worse. It’s never a bad thing to be hyper aware and don’t feel poorly for posting what you were feeling at the time.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:27 pm

No such thing as "dumb stuff" on this forum!! Glad its not as bad as it could have been. Ive had a string of heath setbacks in last few years, saps my strength and is very frustrating.
I had to put hobbies aside for more important chores so haven't used the brush yet.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next