Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Norvel Engines Some Used but Mostly NIB, and Parts! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Norvel Engines Some Used but Mostly NIB, and Parts! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by MauricioB Today at 12:37 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:32 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Norvel Engines Some Used but Mostly NIB, and Parts! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Norvel Engines Some Used but Mostly NIB, and Parts!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

For Sale Paypal

Post  astroturf3040 Thu May 23, 2019 10:11 pm

Would need your PayPal address please thanks
astroturf3040
astroturf3040

Back to top Go down

For Sale My PayPal email address

Post  Scotty68 Thu May 23, 2019 10:15 pm

pm sent

Last edited by Scotty68 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scotty68
Scotty68
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

For Sale Re: Norvel Engines Some Used but Mostly NIB, and Parts!

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 23, 2019 11:25 pm

Outbox shows messages you have sent out. Sent box shows the messages have been read by the intended recipient.

Messages will stay in the outbox until the recipient has read them and then they will disappear.

It is a little confusing, but it’s the quirks we have to deal with for a free service.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotty68 Thu May 23, 2019 11:29 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Outbox shows messages you have sent out. Sent box shows the messages have been read by the intended recipient.

Messages will stay in the outbox until the recipient has read them and then they will disappear.

It is a little confusing, but it’s the quirks we have to deal with for a free service.
Thank you very much for this info, I was very confused there for a moment, even more than usual.
Scotty68
Scotty68
Scotty68
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  stuntflyr Fri May 24, 2019 9:18 am

Scotty68 wrote:Yes I do, are you looking for the AME or BigMig models?

AME, RC type, I believe. Whichever have RC carbs. I thought BigMig meant CL, but you could explain better I'm sure.
Chris...
stuntflyr
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotty68 Fri May 24, 2019 10:14 am

stuntflyr wrote:
Scotty68 wrote:Yes I do, are you looking for the AME or BigMig models?

AME, RC type, I believe. Whichever have RC carbs. I thought BigMig meant CL, but you could explain better I'm sure.
Chris...
Chris,  Yes RC designates the engine as a "carbed" or more accurately a "throttled" engine. As for the CL or RC labels they signify just that. RC stands for "remote control" meaning you can adjust the engine remotely and CL stands for "Control Line" which has no throttle so you can't adjust the engine while flying. I didn't/don't mean for that explanation to come across as condescending as it did. As far as the"BigMig" "AME" "AMA" and "AMD" labels are concerned I can only tell you that these are NOT the same. To my understanding, the Big Mig is a sport flying engine, where the AM? labelled engines are the high performance engines. I can't offer an explanation to the "Revlite" moniker. I could be wrong about part of this or even all of this but I am sure that someone on this site will chime in with a correction if I am wrong, there are some VERY knowledgeable individuals on here. (944_Jim where are you?)  
    So by your original response to my question I am led to believe that the engine you are interested in is the Throttled or RC version? Do you want the BigMig (sport) or the AMA (high performance) engine?
Scotty68

Last edited by Scotty68 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : incorrect information)
Scotty68
Scotty68
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri May 24, 2019 7:52 pm

Scott, you are making me blush!

I'm no expert in Norvels by any stretch, but really do enjoy them. I think Ken Cook may be able to supply additional details, or corrections. My time with my 2nd gen Big Migs is all I have for personal experience. The rest is gleaned from lots of study/observation.

There are basically two versions of these engines, across two releases/builds or generations.
Consider them related by family and intent. The versions are related much like Medallions and Tee Dees are.

Like Medallions, Big Migs are lower output sport engines. They have three transfer ports, and draw fuel well without demanding special fuel system considerations. They are most easilly identified by the Norvel symbol on the muffler side of the block, and the displacement cast as raised markings on the opposite side. The larger .15 engines actually say Big Mig on the edge of the left mounting lug. I suspect the .25s will also.

The second variant is the AMx (AMA/AMD/AME). These engines are very similar to the Big Migs,.and look identical from outside the cases. The heads need to be removed to identify 5 transfer ports. Another tell is the AMx.series usually has AMx on the case, and the displacement "written" or etched on the side. It usually looks like it is done freehand with a sharpie. Another indicator is these usually have what appears to be a serial number on the case also.

Then there are two distinct generations of these engines. The earlier one has a round base venturi or carb opening in the case, and the venturi or carb is glued in. I seem to remember glue peeking out of what could be screw holes, so these may he able to swap/replace the intake and have it retained by more traditional screws.

The later generation has the "bathtub" opening in the case. And it is referred.to as the bathtub because the shape looks like an old cast iron bathtub. The venturi or carb sits in the bathtub, and is retained by screws. I noted that my venturies have fine-mesh screens. The few carbs I've seen didn't have screens.

Revlite is the coating technology that is touted on the side of the box. I suspect the later generation engines are all Revlite, but I could just as easily be wrong. I feel like I read that is truly a ceramic coating, but won't confirm it. I will say it marks the exhaust in grey color as the engine breaks in. One of the tells to the engine's break-in time is that once broken in, the exhaust will look fairly clean. The coating reminded.me.of the special.coarings I had sprayed/baked onto my Sport bike engine. Like the bike coating, Revlite appears to hold oil into the moving parts.for superior lubrication. I base this on what I observed during the very careful break-in I observed on two Big Mig .074s and a pair of Big Mig .061s. The coating looks.like graphite on the piston, and while minimally dry spinning the engines across BDC, they felt "grainy," or coarse.

There is one more subset of these engines. Norvel also made engines with additional tabs on the front of the crankcase. These engines were typically installed in helicopters. There is a thread over on StuntHanger with instructions/hints on how to make prop drive plates. These sold for peanuts. I suspect the price drop was due to the extra work involved in repurposing them.

These engines are known, or villified, by their considerable top end pinch. A lot of the pinch goes away with proper break in. Then they have stiff compression at TDC with little bleed down. Mine will actually finger-start now.

I hope this helps others. And I'm open for corrections if I have some things mis-understood.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri May 24, 2019 8:11 pm

The Norvel engine line can be very confusing. One thing for certain is that the Big Mig and AME are not the same engine. The early engines prior to Norvel were named the AME Zeus. These engines looked very familiar to the Norvel but the case was shorter in the nose. Norvel later designated their porting style as AME.  To designate the difference, remove the head and note the cylinder porting. Outside, both engines appear to be identical. The other confusing factor here is that it confused the manufacturers equally and they installed Big Mig engines in AME boxes and vice versa. I was fortunate enough when this happened to obtain these mismatched boxed engines for $25 a piece directly from Norvel. To identify a Big Mig, remove the head and the engines will have 5 ports cut into the cylinder, the AME will have 3 large ports.

While the Big Mig is considered the sport engine, it's no slouch by any means. The Big Mig will run on suction without issue while the AME has a larger venturi and requires pressure, via muffler, case pressure, or bladder pressure. All of the engine cases uses a oval bathtub casting in the case. The earlier Norvel engines used the glued in venturi which is round but where it enters the case, it's oval.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri May 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Thanks Ken,
It looks like I have my port count backwards!Shocked
I never cracked a case open to count ports.
I will add this to my inferior memory banks. Old Bugger

I will say that I have been pretty consistent staying away from AMxs by looking for what appears to be hand-scribed alphanumeric characters on both sides.
And I believe I've gotten only Big Migs based on the displacement as a raised casting on the port side, and the Norvel raised casting on starboard.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat May 25, 2019 6:51 am

The hand inked scribing pre dates the latest releases of engines. It's nothing to be concerned about. I have dozens of them from the early 90's and most of them have the ink smearing off. It was just how they did it. Some cases have the displacement cast into the case, others are stamped, some are inked. I can also add that the D in AMD only appeared when NV took the engine line over. I also wondered what it meant. The original AME engines were built by students. You either had a turd or a decent running engine. There were more turds then good engines.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

For Sale Hello, I'd like to buy some parts for my Norvel engines 049/061.

Post  lskz918 Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:44 am

Hello, I'd like to buy some parts for my Norvel engines 049/061.
1) 2 Needle valve screws(long/short)
2) 3 Spring starters
3) 1 Cover plate
4) 3 Mufflers
5) 2 Muffler springs
Do you have them all? Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks!
lskz918
lskz918

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:44 am

• NOTE: This listing is located in the For Sale/Wanted ARCHIVES as it is greater than 90 days old.

• Items listed here MAY NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE.

• If this is your listing and your item is still available, or you still haven't found a wanted item, please create a new listing in the For Sale/Wanted section.

• Before replying to any listing, please read through all the rules and guidelines.

Scotty68  bio has this           Latest topic : Wed May 08 2019, 22:47

lskz918   FIRST....WELCOME TO CEF...we all love to help
 please go introduce yourself and start a want ad in the appropriate area

this listing is relatively old and the Original Poster has not posted again since /May 8 a year ago...

alternatively you may click the icon link under Scotty68's screen name a send a PM...He might get a e-mail  notice of your private message
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

For Sale trying to purchase items

Post  west1944 Wed May 19, 2021 11:11 pm

I need these norvel pats:
110131 Thanks West1944
west1944
west1944

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotty68 Wed May 19, 2021 11:15 pm

west1944 wrote:I need these norvel pats:
110131      Thanks  West1944

west1944,
I am unsure if you are aware of this but Norvel part numbers are less than reliable or even consistent. I am going to need more than just Part Numbers. How about a part description and engine it is intended for?
Scotty68
Scotty68
Scotty68
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Thu May 20, 2021 12:33 am

Scotty68,
Long time, no hear!

This sure is a long-running thread.

I'm glad you still have NV parts. I need to run through my stash for holes. I know for sure I need a glowplug adapter for a recently acquired Big Mig. I just can't remember if it was a .15, or .25. The price was too good to pass up, but it was due to no interest at large in an incomplete engine. I'll email over the weekend.

Be well, Friend.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotty68 Thu May 20, 2021 2:19 am

944_Jim wrote:Scotty68,
Long time, no hear!

This sure is a long-running thread.

I'm glad you still have NV parts. I need to run through my stash for holes. I know for sure I need a glowplug adapter for a recently acquired Big Mig. I just can't remember if it was a .15, or .25. The price was too good to pass up, but it was due to no interest at large in an incomplete engine. I'll email over the weekend.

Be well, Friend.

Hey Jim, good to hear from you. I don't have near the parts that I used to but still have a few odds and ends. Get a hold of me this weekend.
Take care,
Scotty68
Scotty68
Scotty68
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

For Sale Parts

Post  west1944 Thu May 20, 2021 6:07 pm

All for a .049. 100102 spinner; 100148 head adapter for regular glow plug; 102105 spring starter; 100137 propeller screw; 110131 head; 230131 head wrench. Thanks Mitch
west1944
west1944

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri May 21, 2021 3:56 pm

west1944 wrote:All for a .049. 100102 spinner; 100148 head adapter for regular glow plug; 102105 spring starter; 100137 propeller screw; 110131 head; 230131 head wrench. Thanks Mitch

Don’t know if you have tried the original source of NV engines?  My last order was way way back in 2017, but I did receive the parts I ordered. The web page seems to still be active and my username and password still work!

http://www.nvengines.com/

Send them email and see if they respond
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2