Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Starting a New Tee Dee 049 Cox_ba12

Starting a New Tee Dee 049 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by DanMc Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 4:31 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by balogh Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 11:52 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Yesterday at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Starting a New Tee Dee 049 Empty
Live on Patrol

Starting a New Tee Dee 049

Go down

Starting a New Tee Dee 049 Empty Starting a New Tee Dee 049

Post  bakergw Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:11 am

Hi All,

I recently purchased several new Tee Dee 049 engines and had a bit of grief getting one of them started initially. I know there is a lot of built up wisdom on the site and experience as to how best to do things, but thought it was worth mentioning the sequence I went through, as situations are not always the same. My two stroke mechanical background comes from racing Yamaha TZ Two Stroke Grand Prix Road Race bikes in the late 1970s and early 80s. Mixture of reed valve induction and my very favourite 'Piston Ported'. Just like an on/off switch :-)

I flew CL from about 12 years old to 17 years old. Cox engines and Enya. Just flying with mates for fun. Back into it now and loving it.!

I checked over my brand new TD 049 engines and found I needed to tighten the rear crankcase plate on one, The cylinder and head was loose on another and the venturi was loose on both. So its definitely worth checking the basics. I did not take the piston out and use the piston tool on it, but by feel, the piston play and crank play end to end all seemed reasonable.

I followed the instructions and turned the NV to 4.5 turns, ensured the fuel was up to the carby. I know the fuel was good as I mixed it and have bought racing fuels for motorcycle road race and speedway from the distributor for many many years.  25% Nitro, 20% castor, Methanol. Tried starting the engine and it would fire each time I flipped it and then stop just after TDC on the next stroke. Now and then it would fire a couple of times. This went on for much too long and I had another feel of the engine and thought it was tight. Maybe just a lot of close tolerances. Im not into lapping things in and all that stuff, so I decided to take the TD high compression head off and use a standard glow head from my surestart. The engine straight away ran as described in the Cox instructions. I ran the motor in short bursts building up time and revs. I know that is not popular theory but my experience is with a tight engine it can be worth it as long as you get high enough revs soon enough to ensure you dont put a ridge at the top of the bore. Once I was happy with the Engine, its running, and ease of starting, I replaced the original TD glow head and it started and ran like a Daemon!!! What an engine for 049 CC  Incredible!!!  Absolutely wrapped with all of my cox engines but especially the TD 049s.

Cheers,
Gary
bakergw
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Starting a New Tee Dee 049 Empty Re: Starting a New Tee Dee 049

Post  balogh Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:02 am

Gary, I am glad you have tamed then started it finally. The original 049 package includes a supplement instruction sheet advising that a brand new engine best starts with additional head gaskets under the head. By replacing the high comp with a normal head you actually achieved the same result. Once broken in, you will find it with the high comp head a real brute force critter.
I also find all TD- s a marvel of model engines and fly all of them in the 010 and 09 size range.

Andras.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  bakergw Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:37 am

Thanks Andras,

i didnt know about the original extra Cox sheets, but old hurried pit race bike rebuilds always taught me high compression was not always your friend when starting and running a newly put together engine. Sometimes underpowered but running is better than not running at all, or a short term blow up. Lol.
As always, One thing at a time and you will get there, and boy does that engine go when everything is right!!

When I enjoy test running my TD 049 So do my Neighbors HaHa :-)

Cheers,
Gary
bakergw
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:33 am

Gary,

Here is the sheet I was talking about.

Starting a New Tee Dee 049 16062910
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:19 pm

How far do you initially open open one of those fine thread needle valves? I have an un run TD .O49 thats had a lot of mods done to it....glow plug head and all.
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:53 pm

Rather than rely on a number of turns which isn't always accurate, open the needle a few turns and put your finger over the venturi while slowly pulling the prop over. Watch your fuel line to insure fuel is coming up the line. If your TD has never been run, your success will be much greater with your tank position lower than your fuel nipple to avoid the tank from siphoning. New engines are pretty cantankerous when it comes to having too much fuel.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:25 pm

Y buy once used tee dee .049 engine that have run all is life wit 3 gasket Recived the engine after test run tinking somting was wrong engine low performance Not Good To me so y take it appart found the 3 head chim replace wit just 1 and after m'y engine run very powerful now tink y like ur way using low compression head To brake in période without use extra head chim
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down