Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Pee Wee 0.020 Igniter Cox_ba12

Pee Wee 0.020 Igniter Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 1:53 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 12:38 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Pee Wee 0.020 Igniter Empty
Live on Patrol

Pee Wee 0.020 Igniter

Go down

Help! Pee Wee 0.020 Igniter

Post  martinrohde@outlook.com Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:18 pm

I am new to small nitro engines. I have bought a Cox Pee Wee 0.020

Question: can I use a standard RC ingniter / starter (like a Hobbico HotShot used for OS engines) to ignite / start a Pee Wee Engine? Will I damage the glow plug?
If I cant use a standard glow plug igniter, what setup do I need to build / buy to start the engine? Please point me to other threads if this question has been answered already.

Thanks for your help - Martin
martinrohde@outlook.com
martinrohde@outlook.com

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Pee Wee 0.020 Igniter

Post  706jim Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:02 am

It won't clip onto the glow head, but the battery won't damage the glow plug. Cox used to make a copper clip that would fit onto the glow plug. You could adapt your Hobbico glow driver to power one of those clips.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:18 am

Hello Martin

Welcome to the forum! We are looking forward to reading your stories with COX and other engines and modeling in general.

COX glowheads were designed to be powered with D cell size batteries of 1.5 Volts. You can always use D size batteries, 2 or 4 connected in parallel for longer service, but never apply more than 1.5 Volts to COX heads in order to prevent the glow head from getting burnt.

Standard glow plugs like OS are for 1.2...1.5 Volts and can be powered with the rechargeable and portable glow igniters used widely for larger engines. This, however, will not make a COX head glow orange, maybe dim red only, but still may be sufficient if well charged. These igniters fit and grab standard glow plugs but will have to be kept on the COX 020 head with your hand so engine starting is a bit cumbersome with them. You need a COX glow head clip sold on ebay or www.coxengines.com or www.exmodelengines.com

Alternatively you can connect COX heads to a starting panel energized by a 12 Volts rechargeable motorcycle battery, like those panels sold by Hobbyco on ebay. These panels have adjustable power outlet for the glow plug so make sure you set it to drive no more current than 2.5...3 Amps through the COX head.

If you are new to COX engines, make sure your fuel carries around 20% oil of which at least half or all should be castor oil. Most fuels used in glow engines nowadays are mainly synthetic oil based and COX engines will last very long if castor is in the fuel.

Good luck and share your experience with us.

András.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:16 am

Personally, I wouldn't use a glow driver style igniter. The voltage of the rechargeable ni-cad is 1.2 volts which works fair for a standard plug but Cox style plugs offer a bit more resistance. In colder temperatures the driver performs even worse. Yes, they offer a adapter to fit the glow driver but that further offers problems. The connection generates more resistance and the wire gauge used is too small which drops the power even more. Andras suggested the D cells which by far would work the best but they will drop their voltage quickly if you leave the plug connector on the plug too long.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:02 am

If you purchase make sure to get the one that starts at .010 engines there is a difference..   http://www.exmodelengines.com/product.php?productid=17889&cat=259&page=1 I have a few of the oem clips w/ wire were are you located if you can deal with just that .. I personally like the panel style But if your just starting out Go with simple to start with.. Easter Bunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:06 am

Pee Wee 0.020 Igniter Eb108b10

Hi Martin and welcome

Here’s a photo of the Cox style clip that was mentioned...I added a connector to keep the bare ends of the clip from shorting in the field kit... I’m sure  these clips could be picked up for cheap on the bay or elsewhere online....

I used two D cells in parallel (1.5 volts)..... Soldered to the posts but could be tapped tightly in a pinch..... I believe this is the safest way to light the cox heads....
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:07 am

Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Help! Thanks for the help!!!

Post  martinrohde@outlook.com Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:18 pm

Super helpful, I decided to buy a COX glow head clip via www.coxengines.com or www.exmodelengines.com. I got the engine started this weekend, what feisty little thing!!!

I typically fly larger OS Engine or Supertigers, but this little thing is super fun.

Martin
martinrohde@outlook.com
martinrohde@outlook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down