Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Russian Diesels - OTM Striz - renovation and new handmade conrods - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Russian Diesels - OTM Striz - renovation and new handmade conrods - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 11:21 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 10:50 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by roddie Yesterday at 9:36 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 9:33 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Kim Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Mon May 06, 2024 3:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Russian Diesels - OTM Striz - renovation and new handmade conrods - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Russian Diesels - OTM Striz - renovation and new handmade conrods

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Russian Diesels - OTM Striz - renovation and new handmade conrods - Page 2 Empty Re: Russian Diesels - OTM Striz - renovation and new handmade conrods

Post  Ken Cook Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:37 pm

Now that made me laugh. I think your very correct. Of the other diesels I own, 3 stand out unlike the others. The Enya .06 is a easy starter, not a powerhouse but runs like a sewing machine, The Enya .15 MK II is absolutely a sweetheart of a diesel and the PAW .049 BR. These 3 engines literally start easier than a glow. This OTM hopefully now that it has a little running on it gets only easier. I've read they can be a real bear to start and I can confirm that.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Russian Diesels - OTM Striz - renovation and new handmade conrods - Page 2 Empty Re: Russian Diesels - OTM Striz - renovation and new handmade conrods

Post  ffkiwi Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:42 pm

Ken Cook wrote:               My OTM got the best of me. I mentioned it to my son today and he said leave that piece of ------ on the shelf. For the life of me, I'm perplexed as to why it wouldn't run. I changed the cylinder base gasket as I noticed a aluminum Fox .15 head shim fit rather well. The only reason I did this was due to seeing some oil leaking out of this area but not enough to prevent a issue. Nonetheless, I went outside and flipped and flipped and flipped some more and flipped even more. My son came out and flipped and flipped with a occasional pop. I didn't have the fuel line hooked up yet as I just wanted to get consistent pops like I was getting. I hooked up the fuel line and flipped and it ran longer than it ever had in my possession which had me light up a bit. Then it was back to the same flippity flip flip . So I asked my son if his phone was with him and video ready which it was and I headed for the garage for the mighty sledge hammer. I was in the garage looking for the sledge when I heard him flip it a few more times and once again a very promising run on prime. Hmmmmmm, I was thinking. He got the 1/2A starter and primed it a bit and hit it with the starter and sure enough it fired up. Adjustments were close but it required a slightly leaner needle. I ran it rich for a minute and then leaned it a bit and to my surprise this thing was running great. I shut it off twice and let it cool, hit it with the starter and it lit right up. I'm actually impressed. Maybe I scared it with all the words I was calling it. It runs and I'm very satisfied with this little engine. I even have a video of it running which I need to post.

I told you earlier on in this thread that they respond well to the electric finger....! once started they run extremely well-but I would never describe them as 'easy to start'... If you have the need-and the patience-they make a good replacement for a 0.5cc model that needs a bit more power-as they are about the smallest and most compact 0.8cc diesel ever produced....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:06 am

I have a few Russian diesels that I have purchased from Ed Carlson (Carlson Engine Imports) over the years..
Ed told me to take them apart, thoroughly clean them ( I sonic cleaned them).
Reassemble the engine using Turbo oil (paraffin free oil) and lightly oil the parts when assembling them.

Set the engine where it will pop over a few time on prime alone. ( the hardest part)
Back out the compression screw 1/2 a turn,
then using a starter turn the prop over with the starter while increasing the compression and the engine will start running.

New, those Russian engines took a long time to get to where the were broken in enough to I can get them started by flipping the prop, but it still will take five or six flips before it starts.

This is probably how and why the original connecting rods were bent?
Trying to start the engine with a starter and the engine locked up with too much fuel in the cylinder.

Don't try to prime the engine when you use the starter it will then have too much fuel and probably lock up.
Just choke it to bring the fuel up through the fuel line to the engine.
Flip it one time to make sure no excess fuel is in the engine.
Back out the compression screw 1/2 a turn.
Then use the starter on the prop and turn the engine over.
With the engine turning over, with the help of the starter, to pump the fuel into the engine, increase the compression screw until it starts.

That is how I have found (and usually start) my Russian engines, with no problems.

I hope this helps you out?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  czarobest Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:39 pm

sosam117 wrote:
This is probably how and why the original connecting rods were bent?
Trying to start the engine with a starter and the engine locked up with too much fuel in the cylinder.

If you mean my engines then I don't know. I got them in such condition, probably from a decommissioned "model factory" (I don't know how to write it in English - a place where models are created and younger people are taught how to do it Huh... ).
However the instruction is great and helpful, I do likewise and my engines work nice Smile. Soon I will also upload the firing of OTM Sokol Smile .
czarobest
czarobest
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:27 pm

Is the Sokol the 2.5?
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  czarobest Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:42 am

Ken Cook wrote: Is the Sokol the 2.5?

Yes, but I think I will show it in a new topic Smile.
And I look forward to the video of your OTM firing up Thumbs Up .
czarobest
czarobest
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dan vincent Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:53 pm

The Czech FIT 1.5cc Rear Drum Rotary was made from the OTM 1.5,
Russian Diesels - OTM Striz - renovation and new handmade conrods - Page 2 Fit_1_10
Russian Diesels - OTM Striz - renovation and new handmade conrods - Page 2 Fit-ot10
dan vincent
dan vincent
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2