Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Cox_ba12

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Today at 3:45 am

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by latole Today at 3:20 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:59 am

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:42 am

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Yesterday at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Empty
Live on Patrol

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too!

Go down

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Empty Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too!

Post  sosam117 Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:29 am

Hello Cox Forum Members,

Have you ever ordered a Tee Dee venturi and there is a groove for the mesh screen but there is no screen?

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 01_ven10

Well, I decided I was tired of venturi without screens and did something about it.
Below is what it took to get screens on all of my Tee Dees that the venturi with the mesh screen groove but didn’t have the screens installed.

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 12_fin10

1st thing was to get the correct mesh screen count that Cox used. Cox used a 60-mesh count screen. I did this by carefully measuring the one venturi I had that had a mesh screen installed. Then I went on-line to get a mesh screen that was the same count (per inch).
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 02_60-10

Next was to figure out the diameter size needed to fit the venturi correctly (into the groove).
I found out the 3/8” diameter was the correct size (after many trials of sizes: inch and metric).

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 03_scr10
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 04_thr10

After I punched out the screen to 3/8 dia., I rolled the screen over a 5/16 ball to make it domes shape to insert the screen into the groove into the venturi.
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 05_scr10

Next was to make sure that all of the screen was in the groove.
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 06_scr10
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 07_scr10

The next step was to use a ruler and flatten the screen down to seat it into the groove into the venturi.
I used a metal 6 inch ruler to flatten the screen.

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 08_scr10
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 09_rul10
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 10_bef10

Photo of before and after the screen mesh flattening is below:
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 10_bef11
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 11_bef10

And that is it! A Cox Tee Dee venturi with the mesh screen installed in the venturi.

I did play around with a 10mm dia. Screen, which seats in the groove as well.
The plus with the 10mm diameter screen is, you use your thumb to carefully press down on the screen to seat it in the groove. With the diameter being oversized you’ll get a domed shape screen in your venturi and it will look like one of those high performance intakes?

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 12_fin11
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 13_ven10

Last edited by sosam117 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Title --- Enya Reed engines as well.)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Empty Re: Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too!

Post  944_Jim Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:45 am

Good job, and thanks for the write-up. I have a sneaking feeling the screen may improve fuel draw a bit too.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Empty Re: Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too!

Post  KariFS Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:47 am

Hey, that’s pretty cool! So the mesh just stays there, no need to punch in the lip on the venturi or anything like that?

I have a couple of old Tee Dees with the mesh missing, and a piece of stainless really high-count mesh somewhere, definitely need to try that!

What is that punch-tool thing that you used?
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:56 am

All stars, great effort, great result!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:16 am

I like it and I see use for doing so. I have several H&R fuel filters that have the screen mesh missing. These are quite small inline filters that H&R used to produce and are now offered by Brodak. Replacement screens aren't offered. I haven't tried the Brodak version and I would venture to say that if it could be cheapened, it was. When these were taking apart for cleaning and one tried to blow out any residual dirt in the screen, you lost it forever. That's when I learned to clean the screen, hold it with needle nose and light it on fire. I never lost one since but I have several without screens. I tried the mesh screen from the top of Cox fuel cans but they were just a bit too small.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:53 am

This is a nice ad i like this Me by pure chance I found a screen that came from a carburetor kit for a Weed wacker de screen was exactly Perfect for a .049 tee dee ventury Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 RC Plane
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:27 am

Been there done that on KB intakes. Used a 13mm Oring hooked twisted around the fuel nipple and the NV seal tube, holds the mesh screen down as a yoke.

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 20200713

Another time I added a screen from a bathtub tap and fixed it on the TD09 venturi with the neck cut off of a balloon:
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 20190613

Helped improve the fuel draw a bit
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:47 pm

KariFS wrote:Hey, that’s pretty cool! So the mesh just stays there, no need to punch in the lip on the venturi or anything like that?

I have a couple of old Tee Dees with the mesh missing, and a piece of stainless really high-count mesh somewhere, definitely need to try that!

What is that punch-tool thing that you used?

The venturi already has a lip that was made during machining, the next step was to install the mesh screen like I did.
I do the same thing when I install a screen on the Bee engine's back plates.
Though I use a smaller ball (to curve the screen) and the screen purchased from either Matt or Burnie.
Then insert it into the back plate and flatten out the screen.

The punch set I used is from Precision Brand Products, Inc.
They are just up the road from me  in Dowers Grove and I purchased the metric and inch sets from them.
The "ThruPunch" inch sets (two of them) I have go from 1/8" to 3/4", and the 7/8" to 1-1/4"
(set #1 -- 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4)
(set #2 -- 7/8, 1, 1-1/8, 1-1/4)
The metric "ThruPunch sets goes from 3mm to 20mm ( 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 16, 20mm)

Their address is:
2250 Curtis Street
Downers Grove, ILLinois 60515 U.S.A

website is:
www.precisionbrand.com

I also use their "ABC Blackener" and "Tool Blackener" to get the black finish on the cylinders and starter springs
https://precisionbrand.com/product-category/blackeners/

Nice little store in a industrial section of Downers Grove.
hard to find the store if you do not know what you are looking for?

Last edited by sosam117 on Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Screen lip -- already there.)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:19 pm

The punch sets I have have been very useful since I purchased them in 2018.
They have helped in making cylinder head shims, shims for crankshafts (thrust shims -- from copper).
Washers, and other things.

They have come in handy when I have been rebuilding my engines.
The crankshaft play has been reduced (because of using a started on them)
Helped in SPI timing and making thrust bushing behind the prop driver and shimming between the crankcase housing and the thrust washer to reduce the crank end play, so the crank  doesn't rub against the backplate or reed cage.

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! _die_i10
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! _hole_10
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Finish11

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Assy_f10
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Head-c10
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 11-atd10

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 10-hea10
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! 07aa-s10
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Texaco24
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:18 am

Sending a dozen mesh screens to KariFS.

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Img_0082
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:03 am

I Love This Forum!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Empty Installing mesh screens on my Enya Rear Induction Reed engines.

Post  sosam117 Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:32 am

Well since I got KariFS Tee Dee mesh screens done.
I decided to move on to the other engines that needed the mesh screens installed.

Yes they are not Cox engines but Enya rear induction reed engines.
The photo is only three of the eleven Enya rear induction reeds engines I have.
A mix of Enya .049 and Enya .06 Reed engines.

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Img_0083

The next photos show that these venturi do not have the mesh screens as well.
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Img_0084
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Img_0085

I do have one Enya reed engine that has a mesh screen that I repaired with JB Weld a few months ago.
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Enya_093

That engine had the mesh screen and a clip.
But as you can see, Enya used a brass screen where I'll be installing a stainless steel screen.

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Enya_094

So, I measured the recessed diameter in the venturi and it measured 6mm.
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Img_0086

Next  was to punch out a dozen mesh screens for the engines.
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Img_0087

Then to make the clips to hold the screens in place.
I used the 5mm punch to bend the .020" music wire around.

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Img_0088

Then I used my Dremel to cut the wire loops into "C" clips to hold the screens.
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Img_0089

And last was to install the mesh screen and the clip into the Enya's venturi.
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Img_0090

I did this to the other three I had there on my bench.
Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! Img_0091

Now on to getting the other Enya rear induction reeds done, just like these three.

Last edited by sosam117 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : brass screen verses stainless screen.)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:22 pm

Thumbs Up  this is Somting cool sosam117 enya Very beautiful works Well done that should protect the engine
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:54 pm

Busy day at the mailbox of Kari’s Sanctuary of Neglected Little Engines!

Thanks again Mike!

Venturi without mesh screen (installation) --- Enya Rear Induction engines too! D2726110
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:39 am

Kari,
Glad I could help you out on making those screens for your Cox engines.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down