Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Eska 5hp boat engine. Cox_ba12

Eska 5hp boat engine. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Prayers for my Wife Please
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:13 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Today at 3:45 am

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by latole Today at 3:20 am

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:42 am

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Yesterday at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Eska 5hp boat engine. Empty
Live on Patrol

Eska 5hp boat engine.

Go down

Eska 5hp boat engine. Empty Eska 5hp boat engine.

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:56 pm

My son has found himself an old late 60’s boat motor and is bringing it home. It appears to turn over and has compression. Does anyone have any experience with them? It appears they were sold through department stores and are Tecumseh based engines. They have carb kits on Ebay. I can get anything running, but was wondering if it’s even worth messing with?

I have a 14ft John Boat that would be perfect for it and we certainly need to start lake fishing and get off the bank. It’s free and if I have to spend $100 in parts it’s worth it to me.
Eska 5hp boat engine. Ecff7e10
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Eska 5hp boat engine. Empty Re: Eska 5hp boat engine.

Post  Marleysky Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:19 pm

Yeah! Looks a lot better than rowing!  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CwWT03SuXY

I have not had any experience with Golden Jet, but did inherit a Sears Whizzard 9hp from my Step-dad that works great. I had a 12ft alum boat that fit perfectly between the wheel wells of my El Camino. Slide the boat in stern first, set the motor on the floor of the boat, pack the cooler and camping gear between the boat seats and head out to the lake! What fun!  Yeah, you shouldn't have any problem getting it to run, like our 049's bad gas and long term storage is not good for these 2 stroke motors.

Oh! Here's another one,  with a place to go for info at the end: (here: https://www.oldoutboard.com/ )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7tyZpkgPBY
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:38 pm

I’ve done that with my pickup. Mine may be 12ft too now that I think about it. Probably should get the tape measure out.

I imagine it will need to be gone through completely. Don’t mind doing it if it’s worth it.

They sell a lot of brand new $200 2 stroke Chinese motors on Ebay, but happy to spend up to that for something American.

It is what it is I guess. I will know more when I see it. Still plugging away on the Mustang. Son is 16 now and the pressure is on. He has done good earning money for parts. I hate having to see him struggle to make the money, but I want him to do it on his own.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:44 am

Ron, my dad owned 2, a small 5 hp and a larger which I can't recall the displacement. What I do remember of the larger was it's badging wasn't like yours, it was red , white and blue.  I believe the carbs are very typical to these engines . We were on the river and the prop shaft key sheared when we got into rocky waters. This did some damage to the lower drive area and that was a problem getting parts for. These things are pretty old and like most stuff parts inventory dries up after 10 years. You could probably find another cheaper than purchasing the parts.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:30 am

American made Yes , If its Tecumseh ? Finding the points and condenser may bee a problem , don't know . When you get it find a downloadable manual first thing to get to know what your getting into . If you know anything about these engine you know Not to mess with the timing plate the points sets on , with out the right tools you will have a issue getting it set up . If you can determine if the trans is good i would go for getting it to run . Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:13 am

In my opinion it can be worth it the point system is surely restorable the condenser is fairly standard easy to substitute another model easily An advice that I can give you is to soak the inside of the crankcase and the cylinders with wd40 for a day or two after a Good flush wit gasoline and oil like completly soak floded and look at the Black grime coming out of the engine if u have very litle black color It should be fine if nothing comes out it's great but if you think it looks like rust let it go dont waste mony
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down