Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

81 Years ago Today - Japan Bombed Pearl Harbor Cox_ba12

81 Years ago Today - Japan Bombed Pearl Harbor Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Kim Today at 6:17 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:27 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Wed May 08, 2024 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed May 08, 2024 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

81 Years ago Today - Japan Bombed Pearl Harbor Empty
Live on Patrol

81 Years ago Today - Japan Bombed Pearl Harbor

Go down

81 Years ago Today - Japan Bombed Pearl Harbor Empty 81 Years ago Today - Japan Bombed Pearl Harbor

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:34 pm

Dec. 7, 1941. Today is the 81st year after the Japanese Navy attacked Pearl Harbor and other targets on the Island of Oahu, Hawaii. The following are scans that I did at a local office supply store in town 7 years ago from full size reprints on newsprint paper that I bought as Waikiki souvenirs back in the late 1970's, paid like a $1 US apiece for 12 copies, which through the years I'd give to friends and family as gifts. Now I am down to two copies. The newsprint has aged to the point it looks like it could be the real 1940 papers!

The front page of the Honolulu Star Bulletin (afternoon paper):

81 Years ago Today - Japan Bombed Pearl Harbor 2022-125

Honolulu Star Bulletin, inside pages:
81 Years ago Today - Japan Bombed Pearl Harbor 2022-126

Honolulu Advertiser (morning paper), day following:
81 Years ago Today - Japan Bombed Pearl Harbor 2022-127

My father served on the European Front, a year later, being too young to join in 1941. He was in a Combat Engineering company in France, missed D-Day at Normandy because his unit was pulled back on R&R (rest and recuperation) the same time. He never spoke much about the war, but I enjoyed the static plastic model kits and balsa kits, stick and tissue rubber powered of World War 2 aircraft he bought me, when I was an adolescent in the mid 1960's.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

81 Years ago Today - Japan Bombed Pearl Harbor Empty Re: 81 Years ago Today - Japan Bombed Pearl Harbor

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:11 pm

Here is Page 2 of the Star Bulletin, I thought you might enjoy the advertising of the era. Wink
81 Years ago Today - Japan Bombed Pearl Harbor 2022-128
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

81 Years ago Today - Japan Bombed Pearl Harbor Empty Re: 81 Years ago Today - Japan Bombed Pearl Harbor

Post  Admin Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:48 am

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:22 am

Hi GG,
Thanks for the links.
Learning from the Past.
Is better than guessing any tommorows.
Your Friend.
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:57 am

The USS New Jersey is docked in the Delaware river. It sits directly across from Penns Landing in Philadelphia. I'm typically in high rises with a perfect view of the Jersey. At the gate of the Philadelphia Naval Center was a 40 mm Bofors anti-aircraft gun which was atop of a concrete pier. This gun was removed about 5 years ago and restored . The guns were cut off the Jersey around the 1960's . This particular gun which stood as a monument at the gate for many years was returned to the deck of the Jersey. I witnessed the firing of this gun in auto mode 2 years ago on Dec 7. I was a fair distance away and about the 30th story when I could see the smoke first. It was a memorable sight and sound moment.

The same tugboat that launched the Jersey from it's berth in 1942 towed the Jersey away from it's current mooring and returned it after a ceremony. The tug was fully restored which was a sight in itself. Yesterday a wreath ceremony was held on the deck of the Jersey. It was a very overcast rainy day. Sadly, most don't even recognize the importance of this day. I was in second grade and we had a moment of silence when I acted out. I never forgot this as I was yelled at in a way that a teacher doesn't typically do so. I was kept after class and this teacher showed me pictures and lectured me on the why, how and when. There hasn't been a year on Dec.7 since that day where I forgot. Nowadays, I don't hear it on the radio, schools rarely mention it, and the news briefly touches on the subject.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:34 pm

I was in Hawaii a week ago. I was able to sneak away and go to the Arizona. It’s a little bit surreal standing over the ship and realizing that there are 900 or so soldiers inside that rusted hull. Sad is all I can say. It’s not a happy place to visit.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down