Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Fuel tank mounting Cox_ba12

Fuel tank mounting Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 11:21 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 10:50 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by roddie Yesterday at 9:36 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 9:33 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Kim Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Mon May 06, 2024 3:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Fuel tank mounting Empty
Live on Patrol

Fuel tank mounting

Go down

Thinking Fuel tank mounting

Post  Yabby Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:17 am

I am finding that when I mount my fuel tank on slab wings, I have one hole through the wing for the overflow and four holes for the rubber bands to hold it in place. The rubber bands allow me to easily switch tanks from plane to plane for whatever reason. I llike to be able to do this quick and easy and rubber bands work. But!!! The holes are just perfect for starting splits in wings when you crash. (As is a well documented trait of mine lol! ) I have tried balsa plates top and bottom and glue around and in the hole, but doesnt really stop it happening.

I was wondering if anyone has used Velcro for this. On the face of it, it seems like it could well work. I could glue a piece of Velcro to the wing then place the tank in the Velcro band and do it up nice and tight. Has anyone tried this? good or bad? Or other ideas for easy removal and swapover?

Thanks! Thumbs Up

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: Fuel tank mounting

Post  getback Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:24 am

Yabby , I have seen several people do the tank mount this way with out problems . I have not done it myself though so sure others will chime in soon .

Last edited by getback on Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change meaning)
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:40 am

Thanks Getback!! Thumbs Up Beer Cheers  Thats what I was after. Just someones seen it done before and that it seemed to work ok. Thats enough for me to give it a go. I just wanted to check if there was any precedent etc....  Sound good. I would expect it to work. But happier to give it a go now!

Thank You. Thumbs Up

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:45 am

My go-to solution to reinforce cutouts in balsa load bearing parts  is to soak the edge/rim of the cutout in CA glue, and/or add a thin plywood doubler just around the cutout (plywood has perpendicular grain orientation in its each layer and therefore less prone to cracking than balsa) . E.g.  whenever I screw control horns on thin control surfaces like elevators or rudders, I soak the balsa under the horn base plate in CA and add a small doubler on the other side.

Otherwise I use Velcro tape to fix my key-chain camera on the wing. The camera weighs only 9 grams and the Velcro holds it well - with some unwanted vibration compromising video quality, though-, but a thin rubber band as a life-line in addition prevents it from getting lost.

Velcro in the blast-line of the propeller may soak in castor and see its small hooks become slippery and yield the grip, so I am not sure how Velcro in such an oily environment would work out.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:14 am

Thanks Andras @balogh  Thumbs Up  i am going to give the Velcro a try, but your advice on using cross grain reinforcement plates is excellent. I have used reinforcement plates above and below holes, but I never thought to run the grain the other way. When you say it, its obvious, but it would never have occured to me in a 100 lifetimes. sunny cheers

Your explanation will be useful to me in a number of model construction areas. Now I will think when reinforcing something with a plate about the grain direction etc. It helps more than just this issue.  Beer Cheers

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:24 am

Thanks, Yabby, reinforcing by balsa may also work, but think of the main direction of pulling/pushing forces of loads from aerodynamic forces, weight or pushrod forces etc acting to crack the area, and orient the grains of reinforcement in parallel with forces.

But sanding a shallow cavity and embedding a 0.5...1mm or even thinner plywood with CA really does wonders and looks nicer in visible locations than a simple doubler overlapping the reinforcement area. When I built my tiny Lil Spee-Dee 010 a week or so ago, I embedded thin plywood in several load bearing points then corrected material losses with fluid wood paste then sanded it flush with the surrounding balsa..worked surprisingly well.

The slightly darker plywood insets at the aileron servo and trailing edge center - and another on the wing bottom - are the embedded and flush sanded reinforcements.

Fuel tank mounting 20230115
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:47 am

Thanks for the explanation  @balogh Andras, that is really valuable information that would have been out of my scope of expertease. Thanks heaps for explaining. So many uses in modelling for this. I Love This Forum!

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:07 am

Hi All,

There is a glue here in Canada, called Goop.
Basicly, a thickened contact cement, that sticks to anything clean.
$5 per tube.
When velcro fails, this is the glue to stick velcro back on.
Math from here,
Means Goop is way better.
Your results may vary,
But,
One tiny blob of Goop,
Is your friend.
Dave
P.S. I agree with everyone else here...
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member