Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Rebuilding a Black Widow, mouse racer style. - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Rebuilding a Black Widow, mouse racer style. - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by Boats13 Today at 12:43 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 12:22 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:08 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Rebuilding a Black Widow, mouse racer style. - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Rebuilding a Black Widow, mouse racer style.

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Rebuilding a Black Widow, mouse racer style. - Page 3 Empty Re: Rebuilding a Black Widow, mouse racer style.

Post  John Goddard Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:42 am

microflitedude wrote:My favorite syringes have rubber stoppers.... Mad

I 'use' 2, 1X 5ml and 1x10ml.

The 10 was on holiday for a couple weeks with a tiny amount of fuel still in it.
Earlier this week I went to use it and thought 'blow me look at the crap in there, but I always filter it'.
Long story short there were hundreds of tiny bits of black latex (not my usual sort obviously Cool ) in there..
Perhaps it may have some sort of long term effect.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Rebuilding a Black Widow, mouse racer style. - Page 3 Empty Re: Rebuilding a Black Widow, mouse racer style.

Post  GermanBeez Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:01 am

i use a standard rc car fuel bottle with the aluminum tube, fo which i made an adaptor to connect it to a piece of lego pneumatic hose. slips right over the vents, and you can carry 200ml without having to fill up syringes.
and the best part is, you can squeeze it pretty hard and do a nascar style high-pressure turbo.refuel Very Happy
ca 2-3 secs
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Rebuilding a Black Widow, mouse racer style. - Page 3 Empty The Project is finished! It runs smooth and fast.

Post  RknRusty Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:23 pm

I finally had what I consider success. At least until I re-test it a couple of times before it's time to fly, probably Sunday. It runs good and steady and finally runs faster than I've ever heard any of my Black Widows on my ear-tach. The crankcase stays cool enough to press my finger against while running full bore. And it shuts off quickly when I pinch the vents.

I began testing, as usual, with 5 head shims under the Cox 5 fin head clamp and a new glowplug insert . It ran fine, just like all good BWs. I removed one shim, and with 4 it ran fine again, a tad harder to needle, but acceptable. When I reduced it to 3 shims it really woke up. So, 3 it is, I hope it's not too hard on the crankshaft.

The first couple of tanks with 3 shims didn't quite hold a high RPM needle. It would peak for a while and then stumble and come back up. It vibrated while it was stumbling, so I hope that wasn't crank bearings slapping. My only other worry at this speed is that the crank pin has a tiny bit of slop, and I don't know if that's normal or not. Every tank full after that needled perfectly and ran very fast. So until it lunches, it's going to be the power plant for my Li'l Satan. It should haul it around pretty fast.

I spiked my Glowplugboy fuel with enough castor oil to bring it up to 20% oil. This reduced the nitro from 24% to 22%. I hope the extra oil helps prolong its life. If Microflite Matt and I get together this weekend, we'll put his tach on it and see what it really turns. My ear-tach says it's easily leveling off in the mid 19s. We'll see. In any case I think it's running as strong as the sum of the parts I had is capable of running.

I made a video that I'll post to YouTube later tonight. I meant to mention Paul Gibeault's article that I used for guidelines as I intended to rebuild a clean tight fast engine, but I forgot to ask how to pronounce "Gibeault." I'm guessing it sounds like "Gibow," but I didn't want to butcher it. Sorry about that Paul. I'll put it in the movie credits.

So in summary:

• I got lucky with the Piston/cylinder fit. Dry fit it has a slight pinch at the top and drops out when tapped lightly.
  • Ground the shoulder on the crankcase so the cylinder has the bypass ports aligned side to side, exhaust facing front to back.
  • All the black anodizing was still coating the bearing journals, lucky again. I polished the crank bearings to a mirror finish. No observable play and spins effortlessly when dry-fit.
  • Bottom tapped the crankcase screws to extend the threads the full length of the holes. This prevents air leaks and better secures the screws. I did not use threadlocker for the final assembly.
  • Installed an aluminum pickup tube on a new plastic Black Widow backplate, with a screen. Installed an OEM Cox venturi flat washer on the tank venturi inlet. Installed a steel reed(a first for me).
  • After a final lint check, re-assembled parts with new crankcase screws, ground to the proper length, cross-tightened and plugged holes with black Permatex RTV. Assembled as a sidewinder(against Paul G's preference).
  • Flushed the drive tube, ball socket and crankcase with fresh fuel. Propped it with a 5x3, mounted and test ran it. It cranked on the first spin and needled easily. I adjusted head washers and settled on 3 for best performance.

I diverged from the mouse racing article by choosing the 5" prop and running lower nitro because this is a fun flyer, rather than an actual mouse racer.

I enjoyed this project. Thanks for all the input. I hope it can help someone to rebuild an engine with the attention to details that are important for making whatever you start with run as well as the sum total of those parts is capable of.

Stay tuned for the vid. I'll post it in this space when it's ready

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:44 pm

Here's the vid. My ear-tach thinks(hopes?) it might be hitting 19k. Let me know what yours thinks.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:35 am

That sounds like a happy engine Rusty.
Thank YOU
for taking the time to do the work and write about.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:29 am

Nice work rusty and thanks for the vid and tips, conclusions, ect.

Thsi is just a point of observation, so dont take it the wrong way. I see you have a filter on your filling syringe, and as you filled it out of the container it looked to be in place. Doing it that way traps dirt on the backside(fuel jug side) of that filter screen, then when you fill you push the possible trapped dirt into your tank. If I am seeing that wrong or if it is a different setup, please correct, but that was my first impression.

If you would like, you can bubble pack send me those burnt glow plugs and I will take some 60X digital microscope pics and put them up,,to see what we may.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:53 am

PV Pilot wrote:Nice work rusty and thanks for the vid and tips, conclusions, ect.

Thsi is just a point of observation, so dont take it the wrong way. I see you have a filter on your filling syringe, and as you filled it out of the container it looked to be in place. Doing it that way traps dirt on the backside(fuel jug side) of that filter screen, then when you fill you push the possible trapped dirt into your tank. If I am seeing that wrong or if it is a different setup, please correct, but that was my first impression.

If you would like, you can bubble pack send me those burnt glow plugs and I will take some 60X digital microscope pics and put them up,,to see what we may.

I think it's a good build. I meant to add in my earlier post; considering my limited resources for matching and tweaking parts, I think that however fast it runs, it's probably as good as that particular combination of parts can do.

After I draw up the fuel, I try to remember to give the plunger a punch to blast any trapped dirt back out. Maybe I forgot because of stage fright. I do need to come up with a better method, but at least I filtered the whole bottle of fuel on Tuesday before I added castor oil to it. Thanks for looking out for me though.

When I get some time next week I'm going to sort out glowplugs and test them all with a new battery pack. So far the one in the Black Widow is still shiny. I'll put a couple of the frosted ones aside to send to you, thanks for the offer.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:56 am

Gotcha on the flush before filling,,good idea.

Sounds good, I'll PM you my address Rusty.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:13 am

Godsey3.0 wrote:The typical setup I see is where the Needle Valve is Vertical and the pylinder is horizontal. Usually to the outside of the CL ring.

CZ: Would that not leave the NV exposed in an inverted crash?

I was thinking about this and the found that I had missed this question. Sorry - but it got answered. The key is stunt tank.

Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:53 am

Rusty,

She sounds great! Smooth runner. You did a fine job on that one. Perhaps it's time to follow suit with my own widow. Loved the first flip start!

Good job man!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:27 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Rusty,

She sounds great! Smooth runner. You did a fine job on that one. Perhaps it's time to follow suit with my own widow. Loved the first flip start!

Good job man!

Ron
Thanks Ron. I like quick starts too. I've wasted enough time flipping stubborn engines that don't want to start. I have rushed rebuilds before and it is not worth it. It never saves time. I'm 100% sold on bottom tapping the crankcase screw holes. I think more hair-pulling trouble lies there than anywhere else.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:09 pm

Rusty,

PM sent.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulgibeault Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi Rusty,
Congratulations on a job well done. That's a nice presentation that one day I hope to be able to do...
Few get my name right, but you did. It's pronounced Gee-Boe. (Thx for the credit)
I believe I noticed the starter spring vibrating like mad. The fastest running engines don't do that.
Why exactly it vibrates is a good question! I'm suspecting a less than optimal c/case to shaft fit, but that's only a guess... Or maybe that particular RPM range...but I don't think so. I'll have to see if my engines starter springs do that when I run them in the Spring (assuming it comes...)
I hope it runs well on your L'il Satan. Boy, that sure brings back memories...!

Cheers, Paul

RknRusty wrote:I made a video that I'll post to YouTube later tonight. I meant to mention Paul Gibeault's article that I used for guidelines as I intended to rebuild a clean tight fast engine, but I forgot to ask how to pronounce "Gibeault." I'm guessing it sounds like "Gibow," but I didn't want to butcher it. Sorry about that Paul. I'll put it in the movie credits.

Last edited by RknRusty on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added quote tags)
Paulgibeault
Paulgibeault
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30 am

Paulgibeault wrote:Hi Rusty,
Congratulations on a job well done. That's a nice presentation that one day I hope to be able to do...
Few get my name right, but you did. It's pronounced Gee-Boe. (Thx for the credit)
I believe I noticed the starter spring vibrating like mad. The fastest running engines don't do that.
Why exactly it vibrates is a good question! I'm suspecting a less than optimal c/case to shaft fit, but that's only a guess... Or maybe that particular RPM range...but I don't think so. I'll have to see if my engines starter springs do that when I run them in the Spring (assuming it comes...)
I hope it runs well on your L'il Satan. Boy, that sure brings back memories...!

Cheers, Paul
It ran okay. I was worried about being rusty after the Winter so I detuned it by adding a shim and propping it with a 6x3. Turns out I took too much spunk out of it, but I'll have it running better next time. There is a video if it flying in this off topic thread from yesterday:
http://coxengineforum.forumakers.com/t1812-i-loaded-up-the-radio-flyer-and-went-to-fly

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Rebuilding a Black Widow, mouse racer style. - Page 3 Empty So, I have a tachometer now

Post  RknRusty Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:37 pm

One of our generous members gave me an optical tach, so now we can put the official stamp of approval on the Mouse Racer Style Rebuild project. I always thought incandescent lights couldn't cool and reheat fast enough to register 120 pulses/sec on the optical sensor. But they do. I have to turn out most of the lights and use a Mini-Maglite mounted to my test block, to shine through the prop. It works great. I made a fumbley movie of me using my new tach, trying to work the engine and the camera too, but I got the goods, and a sore finger too.

As usual, I'm too impatient to wait for the movie to process and upload, so I'll tell you now, the little Black Widow holds a solid 19.2k RPM through a whole tank. That's within the low end of Paul Gibeault's acceptable results. Certainly within mine. And the tach test was with a 5.25x4 prop. It was the best balanced prop I had at the time. So with a 5x3 it might do better, but no matter. Like someone on the forum said, RPM are cool on YouTube, but... uh, nevermind. As usual, video evidence to follow. Very Happy

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:35 pm

The previous vibration was evidently the prop. The spring stands pretty still now, so there is a new prop balancer in my near future. I can see there is no way you can run an engine this fast without a well balanced prop. I thought it was going to shred itself with that other prop. Turning a 4" pitch this fast says to me it's pretty strong. I noticed in the Cox test charts that pitch slows some of them down more than an inch of length. I'll probably fly it the first time with a 5.5"x3". That's what hauled it around so fast and tight the day before I rebuilt it. But for now, I'm moving on to testing out the Li'l Jumpin' Bean with its new power plant.
I'd say that about wraps it up.
Rusty

EDIT 4/24/2012: Here's an update with some different props:

APC 5.5x2 - 21,500 That's the fastest test yet.
APC 5.5x2.5 - 18,300 3.300 RPM difference with only 1/2" increase in pitch.
APC 6x2 - 20,300... on a 6" prop. That's a first for me.
Master Airscrew 6x3 - 16,300

Last edited by RknRusty on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:23 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : mistake, chaned to 6x3 prop size.)

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:27 pm

Rusty,
Mission acomplished!
Thanks for sharing some realy nice work.
Music to my ears.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Rusty,

Great work. That little engine sounds awesome!

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  looperdude Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:29 pm

what cylinder are you running on that black widow, and btw where do you get 2-56 screws that long at?
looperdude
looperdude
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:52 pm

A #1 dual port cylinder that was on the original BWs. Its bypass ports are deeper than the dual port cylinder that came on some other Bees. Not all of my #1s have the number stamped on them, and some numbers are on the barrel and others are on an exhaust facing. I got the no-number ones mixed up once and had to identify them by comparing the distance across from port to port.

I don't remember where I got the screws, but Radio Shack sells stainless steel 2-56 assorted length screws, nuts, and an assorted washer pack that contains #2 washers.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  looperdude Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:08 pm

i cant believe you got that many rpms out of BW cylinder, it the crank an original black widow item too?
looperdude
looperdude
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:05 pm

Yes it is, just a standard Bee crank. I always get more RPM with those, but the heavy duty cranks will stand up to the punishment better. The #1 is a good cylinder, especially if you get a snug fitting piston.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  looperdude Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:19 pm

how many rpm's will a standard crank take, how long will it take say 20,000 rpms? i know you can get great performance out of a good fitting cylinder and piston
looperdude
looperdude
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:39 pm

In my opinion if you stay with 25% nitro you will never bust a crank, you will wear out the crankcase pretty fast running over 19K.
The most I ever got out of my Meeces on 25% was 20.5K the crank was fine, the case is toast in about 15 runs.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:00 pm

crankbndr wrote:In my opinion if you stay with 25% nitro you will never bust a crank, you will wear out the crankcase pretty fast running over 19K.
The most I ever got out of my Meeces on 25% was 20.5K the crank was fine, the case is toast in about 15  runs.

Makes me want to stick with my 6x3 props.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next