Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 Cox_ba12

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by KariFS Today at 8:59 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Today at 7:36 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 6:48 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 6:26 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 5:55 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 4:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 3:32 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 12:58 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 6:28 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Yesterday at 12:30 am

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 3:19 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 1:35 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

S.M.A.L.L. 2023 "Here We Go"

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 Empty Re: S.M.A.L.L. 2023 "Here We Go"

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:47 pm

Kim, it is an interesting model. Very good work.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:06 pm

Kim wrote:I'm also finishing up my Walt Musciano/Scientific "Zipper".  It's a 10% enlarged scratch-built, and I'm hoping the slight larger size will be a better match for .049 power than the original...cause it REALLY DID ZIP!!!!
S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 200_co11
Kim, that Zipper was one that back in high school, really loved the design but never bought the kit and built it. As far as zipping, well, the majority of half-A kits were zippers. Laughing

Yeah, a scale up would be in order. A 1.5X scale up making 18 inches into 27 inches would make it suitable for an A.C. Gilbert .11 Thunderhead, McCoy 9 or Fox .09 Rocket, IMO.

You certainly do have a wide variety of aircraft there covering nearly all angles of flight except for rotor aircraft. Looks like you'll have a really fine time with the others at SMALL.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:35 pm

Levent Suberk wrote:Kim, it is an interesting model. Very good work.

Thank You Levent!  Gonna have some fun here in a little bit!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:42 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Kim wrote:I'm also finishing up my Walt Musciano/Scientific "Zipper".  It's a 10% enlarged scratch-built, and I'm hoping the slight larger size will be a better match for .049 power than the original...cause it REALLY DID ZIP!!!!
S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 200_co11
Kim, that Zipper was one that back in high school, really loved the design but never bought the kit and built it. As far as zipping, well, the majority of half-A kits were zippers. Laughing

Yeah, a scale up would be in order. A 1.5X scale up making 18 inches into 27 inches would make it suitable for an A.C. Gilbert .11 Thunderhead, McCoy 9 or Fox .09 Rocket, IMO.

You certainly do have a wide variety of aircraft there covering nearly all angles of flight except for rotor aircraft. Looks like you'll have a really fine time with the others at SMALL.

Thanks George!

Yeah, most of the Scientific Models I experienced (with the exception of "Big Otto") have actually been over-powered with an .049 pulling them.  I scratched out a 10% enlarged Big Otto with a Tee Dee .049 and it flys great...just needs a rebuild of its nose.

I think the Zipper could be enlarged by 20% and STILL be a nice flyer with a regular, healthy .049.

Memories--Memories!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:57 pm

Spaghetti Alert!!!

Doug and Becky will be serving us SPAGHETTI at S.M.A.L.L. on Friday Night!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:08 pm

Kim, as you know I love that Zipper.

Were I a hundred years or so younger I would hit you up for those enlarged plans. But sadly not to be. I can cut down a 30' tall tree with a chain saw but I can't follow an exacto line on balsa.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:27 pm

Kim wrote:Yeah, most of the Scientific Models I experienced (with the exception of "Big Otto") have actually been over-powered with an .049 pulling them.  I scratched out a 10% enlarged Big Otto with a Tee Dee .049 and it flys great...just needs a rebuild of its nose. I think the Zipper could be enlarged by 20% and STILL be a nice flyer with a regular, healthy .049. Memories--Memories![/color][/size][/b]
You remember the Dumas 24 inch wingspan half-A Tom-Tom II and profile version Tomahawk of 140 sq. in. wing area? They were fine for the hotter half-A reedies, better than the less than 60 sq. in. 18 inch half-A's with sheet wings, less than 100 sq. in. on built up wings. But I gather that the reason of the 18 inch magical number had to do with the available sheet balsa stock of the time was 36 inches. You could make 2 wings out of 36x3x1/8 inch stock. Also, the smaller wing area still worked fine for the OK Cubs, Wen Macs, and other less powerful half-A engines.

Regarding spaghetti, it is the least expensive but good way to feed the multitudes. Back in Jesus' day, it was the fish and bread loaves from a child's lunch box. Today, who knows, may be spaghetti with meat balls and corn bread? Smile
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri May 05, 2023 3:23 pm

The Lazy Bee gets a test flight with its Medallion .15 before being put away for its trip to S.M.A.L.L. 2023.

While STILL no vertical performer, with this engine, the old bee has more zip than it's seen in a while!

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 Dsc_0530
S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 116_11
S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 120_21

https://youtu.be/up7hQQiFxDc

Last edited by Kim on Fri May 05, 2023 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri May 05, 2023 3:37 pm

Wrinkled, dented, and bent but unbroken. The Lazy Bee lives on!!! Hero status!!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri May 05, 2023 4:07 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Wrinkled, dented, and bent but unbroken.  The Lazy Bee lives on!!!  Hero status!!

Yes!! We BOTH are Too Stubborn to Croak!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat May 27, 2023 5:58 am

After "Van Prep", then "Camper Prep", some airplanes are finally being strapped to the shelving in the van, with an E-Powered Cub chucked onto the bed in the camper.

Gotta work on the "Big Yellow Thing" after smacking it in a test flight, and got to try to fix the weird throttle fixture on the Quaker's Medallion .15 after the throttle arm fell off its rotating spray bar....gonna try some "precision peening".  But if it doesn't work I'll use the Medallion Bob sent me that has the less weird strangle throttle.

The Little Black Thing and the Zoom Slot flying platter need test flights which are gonna happen at S.M.A.L.L.

Also gotta fix the Lazy Bee after it got "Tumbleweeded" in the wind at Breezy Hill last weekend.

A bunch of old stand-byes are going so, there ought to be plenty of stuff to fiddle with, and maybe even launch.

So, the clock ticks down........

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 Img_9410

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scsJZ67ssDY
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat May 27, 2023 8:12 am

Kim wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Wrinkled, dented, and bent but unbroken.  The Lazy Bee lives on!!!  Hero status!!
Yes!! We BOTH are Too Stubborn to Croak!!!
I and my Cessna's resemble that statement! lol!

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 Cessna10
Older photos, don't have new ones yet after repairs.

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 Cessna11

Latest project showing my age, Doh! replacing my old 2008 PC system with 400 MHz front side bus with 2.9 GHz AMD processor, 4 GB RAM. New is an Intel based chipset motherboard with an Intel 3.8GHz i7 CPU, 16 GB RAM and a 512 GB solid state disk.
S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 2023-121

I had a system predating the 2008 stored in the garage.

I gutted the case and cleaned it up, installing this new motherboard kit, new power supply, 2 new cooling fans, new DVD rewriter and a new 3.5 in. Sabrent multicard reader for CF, SD, XD, M2 and micro SD cards, plus USB thumb drive.
S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 2023-120

Front on and reset switches work perfectly, the hard drive and power LED's light up as they should. Very Happy
S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 2023-119

The floppy slot is unpopulated (new mobo. doesn't have the interface for those anymore). Box looks so old that I think of it as an anti-theft deterent.
lol!

Older 2008 system was still adequate with latest Linux Ubuntu Mate software, but this new mobo is blazingly fast. Web pages pop up immediately. Shuts down in less than 10 seconds after commanding. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat May 27, 2023 8:48 am

Well, as a retired Intel employee, I shouldn't care.  But good choice of Intel over AMD. And, depending on when the chipsets and processor were made, I could have worked on those myself...

The Company Man Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat May 27, 2023 11:11 am

batjac wrote:Well, as a retired Intel employee, I shouldn't care.  But good choice of Intel over AMD.  And, depending on when the chipsets and processor were made, I could have worked on those myself... The Company Man Mark
Mark, you shared some facts that I never knew or suspected of you. Cool

Hijacked
Choice between Intel versus AMD:
Back To Topic lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat May 27, 2023 5:18 pm

More Whining from my Facebook page:
-----------------------------------------------

"11th Hour Project"

In my shop, this is when you wait to the LAST Minute...when you SHOULD be thinking only about loading and strapping down your planes for the trip to a Fun-Fly...but instead...are fiddling with a tedious repair or finish work that could have been done MONTHS earlier!

My only defense is: "I forgot".

The Quaker is one of my favorite planes, and has been a regular at the past few S.M.A.L.L. Fun-Fly's in Arkansas.  I want it to go there again.

So, last fall, during a flight, the throttle arm fell off what's called a spraybar (think carburetor) in it's Medallion .15 engine. The spring steel arm was pressed onto the brass spraybar, and over time, vibration loosened the mechanical bond between them.

This is a "high-time" failure that many engines never see, mostly because their owners quit flying or died, with the little powerplants being chucked in the trash, and never having the chance to "wear out".

Anyway, I got the plane down safely and thought, "No big deal...I'll fix it when I get home."  ...and forgot about it...totally...'till I went to load it in the van yesterday.
The two parts still fit relatively well, so I got to rig up a fixture to hold the delicate spray bar in place while I hammer / swage its edges out and over the arm, capturing (and hopefully) pressing it in place for a few more years.

Got to get my "Machine MoJo" going first, so...more Folgers...

P.S.
I KNOW it's not really a "Quaker"...more accurately, a "Flamingo" or such...but I've been calling it a Quaker for too long, so that's its surname, even if not its breed! Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  RC Plane  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
----------------------------------------------------------------------

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 1_515

Thanks to Troy Tee Bee for the excellent photos he took during the 2019 Summer S.M.A.L.L. Fun-Fly!

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 2_214
S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 3_144
S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 7_126

Last edited by Kim on Sat May 27, 2023 6:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat May 27, 2023 6:07 pm

Kim, that Quaker truly is a classic. The partly muffled older exhaust throttle coupled with rotating butterfly styled spray bar tames the .15 Medallion a little, but in your application adds a touch of elegance not illustrated with other engines. The long Hayes engine mount helps with maintaining CG on a lighter weight engine. The plane almost begs for simple side cheek cowling with bottom like the popular Q-Tee to finish her out, with engine head poking through a side hole like on the Scientific Big Otto, But sans and with the throttle set-up, helps the engine to remain cool and not overheat, especially in the balmy but steamy Missouri Summer atmosphere.

However, the Quaker still is such a classy plane. Very Happy Thumbs Up cheers Popcorn I Love This Forum!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat May 27, 2023 6:41 pm

Thank you George!

I got the Quaker at a Swap Meet several years ago and, I think I got its .15 at the same time.  I REALLY wanted to use this Medallion because of its fairly rare "barrel throttle" or whatever it's called.  This throttle set-up pretty much required the long Hayes mount to allow it some distance from the firewall to slide in and out with, as you noted, a BIG help with CG placement.

This .15 has been a REALLY good-natured engine, starts easy and idles great.

It was supposed to get a cowling of some sort, but I wanted to showcase the throttle type, and just left it all hanging out there like an anteater's snoot!

If I can't get this one working properly, I'm gonna use another Medallion that has the regular exhaust band.

One way or the other, the Quaker is headed for S.M.A.L.L.!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun May 28, 2023 4:59 am

Kim wrote:Thank you George!
You're welcome, Kim.
Kim wrote:I got the Quaker at a Swap Meet several years ago and, I think I got its .15 at the same time.  I REALLY wanted to use this Medallion because of its fairly rare "barrel throttle" or whatever it's called.
Peter Chinn in his review found out Sceptre Flight Engine Test Reviews archive referred to it as the "Cox Throttle Control assembly". Since wide open, the exhaust port window was open, although it would be quieter than the non-equipped Medallion, I imagine noise is similar to my OS .10R/C or Enya .09-III TV that only had a butterfly exhaust plate restricter for idle, when wide open. (Interestingly, both engines are the same loudness as an unmuffled Cox .049 reedie.)

The later simplified version was called the "Cox Throttle Muffler" (if integral muffler included). I'm not sure when article was written as the magazine name and month/year of issue were cropped off to produce the PDF, but imagine it was some time during the 1960's. Peter did the smaller .049 Medallion equipped with same type throttle system in June 1966 Model Airplane News, so I figure the .15 probably was reviewed within a couple months of that before or after. (The model magazines also did reviews of other engines, so it would make sense to space them out to appeal to other modellers.
Kim wrote:This .15 has been a REALLY good-natured engine, starts easy and idles great. It was supposed to get a cowling of some sort, but I wanted to showcase the throttle type, and just left it all hanging out there like an anteater's snoot! If I can't get this one working properly, I'm gonna use another Medallion that has the regular exhaust band. One way or the other, the Quaker is headed for S.M.A.L.L.!
Overall, I think that you probably won't have much issue with the engine, because your static runs so far showed it runs very reliably. Overall, except for the higher cost of the engine and throttle unit at the time, probably would have sold more engines.

My garnering of Medallion engines has only been as of fairly recent because of retirement. Otherwise when it came to Cox, in the past I was a strictly Bee reed valve person.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun May 28, 2023 5:21 am

It's 'fixed" !!!

Summoning my best Red Neck Machining Skills, and utilizing a hammer and a dull chisel, I THINK I had successfully reunited the throttle arm and its brass spray bar!

So, the Quaker is headed back to S.M.A.L.L. in the same state it attended in 2022!  Now, on to other stuff.

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 2_208
S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 100_115
S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 106_111
S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 110_112
S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 114_110
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 28, 2023 3:08 pm

cheers cheers nice repair , I like these throttle setups but they can bee a PIA if someone has getting the whole thing bent out of shape getting things straightened out and adjusted will get ur blood boiling  Mad Beer Cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun May 28, 2023 5:09 pm

getback wrote:cheers cheers nice repair , I like these throttle setups but they can bee a PIA if someone has getting the whole thing bent out of shape getting things straightened out and adjusted will get ur blood boiling  Mad Beer Cheers

Yeah...don't tell anybody ( Very Happy Very Happy ), but I'm also packing the a throttle band .15 that Bob sent me (THANK YOU BOB!!!) as a back-up JUST in case my "machine work" fails  on this one.  Not sure why I'm so obsessed with flying the Quaker...just the weird whims of my little brain! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon May 29, 2023 4:14 am

Okay. I just came in from test running three engines that I converted from control line to radio control use. A Silver Bee, a Black Widow, and a Red Widow. I'll get the RC planes ready tonight and tomorrow, and then I'm ready...

The Run Up Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon May 29, 2023 5:18 pm

batjac wrote:Okay.  I just came in from test running three engines that I converted from control line to radio control use.  A Silver Bee, a Black Widow, and a Red Widow.  I'll get the RC planes ready tonight and tomorrow, and then I'm ready...

The Run Up Mark

Yeah Man!

Good Prep is everything...a guy will either do it in the shop or on the Flight Line...though sometimes Flight Line Prep can become a "Communal Bonding Affair":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx8lpO5d4rE
Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

I'm currently in "The Coast Mode"...got everything loaded, airplane-wise, so time for a check of the van, general clean-up of the camper, and some groceries now that it's fridge is cooled down.

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 Img_9416

Then, just gonna park in my lawn chair out front, watching the barn swallows, hawks, and occasional bald eagle fly around the hill...while I collect my MoJo.

Shooting to depart around 8am tomorrow, with a fuel stop and ritual catfish dinner at Bald Knob, Arkansas.

Let the Fun begin.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed May 31, 2023 2:04 pm

Rolled into Sky Tiger Field yesterday around 4, and sent the drone out around for some footage of this beautiful place.  

After checking with David, I parked in the same spot as last Fall, and ran my old Champ around the field in the amazingly calm air, while trying to video it at the same time...wasn't my best work...but I got a few capture frames from the shakey footage.

So now it begins.

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 Img_9418

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 Dji_0811

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 Dji_0810

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 104_15

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 100_45

S.M.A.L.L. 2023  "Here We Go" - Page 3 102_19
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed May 31, 2023 3:20 pm

Man that looks so nice and clam (even with a engine running ) i KNOW YOUR GOING TO HAVE A GREAT TIME ! I see they have the field groomed for glory , Very Nice you are very lucky , Hope Mark gets there soon . Glad you did safely Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next