Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Musings on balsa vs. coroplast. - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Musings on balsa vs. coroplast. - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by DanMc Today at 7:25 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Today at 7:04 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by 944_Jim Today at 4:31 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by balogh Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Today at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Today at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 2:29 pm

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by 944_Jim Today at 11:52 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Musings on balsa vs. coroplast. - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Musings on balsa vs. coroplast.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Musings on balsa vs. coroplast. - Page 2 Empty Re: Musings on balsa vs. coroplast.

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:00 pm

I've been wanting to get my hands on some corroplast, been told to seek out of circulation ads, campaign posters, etc. Seems in this small town though, hard to get and the blank stuff in stores is too expensive. Has merits though as natively fuel proof, so even though slightly heavier, can be trimmed in paint.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Musings on balsa vs. coroplast. - Page 2 Empty Re: Musings on balsa vs. coroplast.

Post  andrew Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:56 pm

batjac wrote:........I'm stalled at what is the best glue to use.  Looking online, the recommended glues are things that glue the sheets surface to surface, but not really good for edge gluing, such as for the wing to fuselage joint of a profile CL plane.  The best method seems to be premium hot glue at a very hot temperature which more or less 'welds' the coroplast according to the S.P.A.D. guys........

The Investor Mark

Some guys were using hot glues, some medium CA.  The Gorilla Glue company does not recommend their Gorilla glue for polypropylene (coroplast). However, everybody flashed their joints with a propane torch before glueing regardless of adhesive and some sanded lightly after that.

You might want to look into Loctite Super Glue All Plastics.  It seems to be specifically formulated for polyethylene, polypropylene and PTFE/Teflon.

batjac wrote:.....but not really good for edge gluing, such as for the wing to fuselage joint of a profile CL plane.
While it certainly would not be very pretty, you might try a test piece of coroplast cut part way through like you make hinges, then bent to a 90° angle and use it like a piece of metal angle iron, maybe with sides only a couple of flutes wide, on the bottom of the wing on either side of the fuselage.  That would give you surface to surface joints for reinforcement.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:23 pm

Andrew, I had thought of doing that.  I was going to clean and flash the coroplast, then glue with thick CA, then use a sheet of coroplast on the joint like I would use a piece of triangle stock balsa on the joints.  But that's a pain, and the glue would have to fill a large gap that I didn't want to deal with.  The slot for the wing is just the flute cut out in the right position.  Unfortunately, the flute is a little wide, and it's also not perfectly square, so there is a small gap where the wing and the stab slide through the fuselage.  I will tack it in place with CA, then use the heavy duty glue stick to glue in the wing and fill the gap.  I don't want to use too much reinforcement because that will add more weight, and one purpose of the experiment is to see how light I can build this.

The Sticky Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:26 pm

batjac wrote:.......I will tack it in place with CA, then use the heavy duty glue stick to glue in the wing and fill the gap.  I don't want to use too much reinforcement because that will add more weight, and one purpose of the experiment is to see how light I can build this.
The Sticky Mark

I think you've got a good plan.

The newer glue sticks are formulated so much better than the older sticks and a small fillet may very well be just the ticket. I just recently bought one of the higher capacity high temp glue guns and a pack of the better sticks, but have not used it yet. Your results may well be the nudge I need to put it to work.

a--

andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:48 pm

Hi Mark,  (nice thread !) Cool
From my coro combat days,  ( I flew against them with wood/foam)
The best glue for coro was medCA and kicker. (need the kicker for some reason)
-Gorilla PU and Goop worked good too.
-rubbing the surface with 120 grit, acetone wipe was the key, and the rub. (pun intended)
-1/16th  bamboo skewers are your friend.
I think,
A 1/2A coro plane, has all the advantages of,
A balsa plane with many crashes/ repairs.
Coro is close. And needs,
Just as many props...
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:23 pm

The glue sticks that I bought were the premium Arrow Slow Set sticks (here).  At $1.21 per stick, they'd better be the best.  I got the sticks recommended by a user on the S.P.A.D. forum on RCG.  I messed up and didn't notice the glue gun I got was not dual temp.  The reviews said it heats up pretty high and works great, so we'll see how a couple of test runs work.

The Spendthrift Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:13 am

Hi Mark,
All my coro info is 20yrs old...
I am familiar with Tig/Mig welding...
If you can weld coro together,
Is it called,
Pig welding? Smile
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:40 am

HalfaDave wrote:
If you can weld coro together,
Is it called,
Pig welding? Smile
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave

Laughing that's oinking funny!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:47 am

Here's a pic for inspiration that I ran across the other day.  

Musings on balsa vs. coroplast. - Page 2 Eagle_10
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:01 pm

That RC plane looks awesome! How does coroplast resist the hot castor the BB is slinging?

Last edited by balogh on Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo corrected)
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:36 pm

That RC plane just gave me an idea....

The Idea Man Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:44 pm

The pic was posted in RCG under 1/2A Model Aircraft Restorations.

The RC plane is, I believe, a modified Guillow Flying Eagle 48" foam glider that has been converted to RC and COX power.  I don't think this particular type of foam is damaged by fuel or oil, however, I have seen some that were discolored to light brown from the castor.

The C/L plane is a coroplast Baby Ringmaster (?).  Coroplast is pretty impervious to 1/2A fuel, but I don't know how well the glue joints would hold up.  I suspect the hot glue that Mark has sourced will not be affected.

a--
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu May 18, 2023 2:31 am

Well, I bounced back around to this to finish it off.  I glued it all together, put in wood dowels for reinforcement, and put on the engine.  Then I weighed it against the balsa Skyray.  I’m not sure where my numbers were off, but the CoroRay is almost an ounce heavier than the Skyray.  But, 6.25 ounces is still plenty light for a Bee engine.

Musings on balsa vs. coroplast. - Page 2 20230516-234250
Musings on balsa vs. coroplast. - Page 2 20230517-014932
Musings on balsa vs. coroplast. - Page 2 20230517-164508

Having done this once, there are a couple of things that I’d do differently.  But as an experiment, it turned out pretty good.  Now to just get out and fly it.

The Plastic Fantastic Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu May 18, 2023 6:57 am

Hey Mark what are the safety pins? for sticking out the fuse ? And what paint did you use ? Thanks Smile
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu May 18, 2023 4:20 pm

getback wrote:Hey Mark what are the safety pins? for sticking out the fuse ? And what paint did you use ? Thanks Smile

Eric, the safety pins are for using a bladder, as it previously had a TD on it. No paint, Monokote.

The Bladder Control Issues Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2