Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine Cox_ba12

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by rsv1cox Today at 7:41 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine Empty
Live on Patrol

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine

Go down

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine Empty Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine

Post  roddie Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:06 am

I cut a 10 inch length piece of 1/8" OD soft-copper tubing.. and wound it around a 1/2" twist-drill's "shank".. (which is 1/2" diameter...) I used the drill in my drill-press to drill a hole in a block of wood.. for the same twist-drill to fit in.. to serve as the "winding-post".

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine 20240418

It was not a difficult or high-effort job. No hint of creasing anywhere on the tube.

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine 20240417

I used some 3/8" drive socket-wrenches with a short extension.. to gradually increase the inner-diameter of the coil.. until until it's just slightly smaller than the outer-diameter of the cylinder/head. The soft copper is easy to work.. once you get a feel for it... (recoil/springy-ness/memory). Once it's close to the right diameter; squeezing both ends backward; spreads the coil open.. allowing the coil to be pushed onto/over the glow-head. When released; the coil "recoils".. and the cooling-fins on the cylinder/head "key-into" the coil-separations to help hold the coil in place. I was pleased with the way it worked out. This is all new to me... and there's been lots of hiccups along the way. It's always a good feeling when something comes together as expected.

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine 20240416

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine 20240419

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine 20240421

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine 20240420

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine 20240422

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine 20240423
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine Empty Re: Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine

Post  balogh Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:46 am

Very nice and simple, Roddie, congrats.

Due to the recoiling spring effect the copper coil remains in a fixed metallic contact with the steel fins, even if temperatures rise, and the slightly higher thermal expansion coefficient of copper than of steel would work to loosen it..

To enhance heat transfer, some aluminum foil - used in the kitchen - wrapped around the fins in 2-3 layers and stuffed in between the fins  before the copper coil is pulled on the cylinder  would increase to contact surface of the coil with the fins ? (Just a wild thought of a member involved in heat transfer engineering)
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine Empty Re: Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine

Post  MauricioB Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:58 am

Roddie, mate, very good job.
I want to highlight your photos that speak for themselves, you have a way of presenting your works that are textbook, that is, in a very practical way to interpret.
I'm building the Citabria and by the way, as I'm working on it, I remember the way you present your works, you are in my thoughts friend! Thumbs Up
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:36 am

Good job looks very uniform and will hopefully do the job . Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:10 am

Proper dia. tube using lower weight aluminum yields 5 coils for functional cooling.
Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine Resize27

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine Resize26
Old Bugger Small Cox Logo Tether Car Track Thumbs Up

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:36 am

1/2A Nut wrote:Proper dia. tube using lower weight aluminum yields 5 coils for functional cooling.

Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine Resize26
Old Bugger Small Cox Logo  Tether Car Track  Thumbs Up

wonder if aluminum would be more effective than brass in dissipating heat? Probably and also slightly lighter cool stuf Thumbs Up
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:50 am

Great job on the water coils roddie!!…. Brad’s marine engine looks like a go getter too!!
Boats can be a lot of fun if you’re set up for them and have a place to run them…

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:39 am

MauricioB wrote:Roddie, mate, very good job.
I want to highlight your photos that speak for themselves, you have a way of presenting your works that are textbook, that is, in a very practical way to interpret.
I'm building the Citabria and by the way, as I'm working on it, I remember the way you present your works, you are in my thoughts friend! Thumbs Up

Thanks Mauricio! Illustrating the methods is part of the fun for me.. especially if it inspires deeper thought/expansion on the subject matter.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:49 am

getback wrote:Good job looks very uniform and will hopefully do the job . Very Happy

There's a fella that lives down the road a bit.. who also enjoys model boating. He builds custom lower-units for making outboard-engines from .049 FRV glow engines; "Spitzy's" in particular. He also made NVA's for them on his lathe. He's been somewhat of an inspiration for me.. in re-igniting my model-boating interest. We live in an area that rich in lakes, ponds, rivers and streams.. which makes running a model boat a lot easier than flying a model airplane.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:35 am

1/2A Nut wrote:Proper dia. tube using lower weight aluminum yields 5 coils for functional cooling.

Great looking engine Brad! I do have some aluminum tubing.. but I don' think I can fit a 5 coil wind without it interfering with the exhaust throttle's function. Huh...

I also don't think that my reed-valve engine will run as hot as your high-performance Tee Dee engine. I'm hoping that mine will have enough power for the 22mm prop that I'm planning on running.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:43 am

davidll1984 wrote:
wonder if aluminum would be more effective than brass in dissipating heat? Probably and also slightly lighter cool stuf Thumbs Up

David, I had the option of making a cooling-coil from either Brass, Copper or Aluminum.. but had an abundance of the Copper. I posed the question to the internet; "Which alloy dissipates heat best?" Copper and Aluminum came up as answers.. so I opted for the Copper.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:00 pm

rdw777 wrote:Great job on the water coils roddie!!…. Brad’s marine engine looks like a go getter too!!
Boats can be a lot of fun if you’re set up for them and have a place to run them…

Robert

Thank You Robert! Yes... the fact that there's a myriad of accessible aquatic areas immediately nearby to me; makes model boating activities more attainable.. as compared to model airplane activities. I enjoy the designing/building aspect of both.. but when it comes down to the application; the boats will definitely provide a return on investment.. in the way of FUN!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:28 pm

4 coil piped speedy reedy 1996 Killer Bee .049,
Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine Cox_0413

Small Cox Logo Thumbs Up
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:07 pm

Hi Brad, I'm noticing that your cooling coils pictured are oriented in such a way as to route water to the "top" of the cylinder before spiraling the water downward. Does it matter whether the water spirals upward or downward? Is the top-end of the cylinder the hottest part.. or would that be down lower at the exhaust ports?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:27 pm

Yes ground up to hide the water feed line, the top of the coil ultimately rotated to dump to the side.
Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine Resize28

Small Cox Logo Thumbs Up
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down