Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

TD .010 Tie Clip - Page 2 Cox_ba12

TD .010 Tie Clip - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A little nostalgia…
by Kim Today at 8:37 am

» Ball - Socket Joints
by rdw777 Today at 8:23 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Today at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:09 am

» Tired of it all…
by roddie Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 10:27 pm

» Science and Mechanics magazine's "Playboy" 14' plywood runabout plans.. circa 1950's
by roddie Yesterday at 9:30 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» Post your Older books
by crankbndr Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» Cox wrench
by layback209 Yesterday at 3:03 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by getback Yesterday at 10:04 am

» How does your Garden Grow
by getback Yesterday at 6:26 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

TD .010 Tie Clip - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

TD .010 Tie Clip

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Wanted Re: TD .010 Tie Clip

Post  roddie Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:19 pm

Hellskells wrote:Well you certainly are a creative bunch...Laughing 

No extra body holes to make use of and the usual set is probably best left alone as far as engine parts go.

Leaning towards cuff links. Opinions on which model glow head would be the best to use are more than welcome.
If I had a pair... I'd go for my personal favorite .049 model glow-head, which measures 3/4" in diameter... and would be instantly recognizable by any Cox engine enthusiast. An accurate "mock-up" by a jeweler should probably omit the bottom "threaded" portion... for a nice neat "flush with the cuff" appearance.

What you see in this pic, is how it would look on his shirts 'cuffs... the "penny" in the foreground is for scale. An .020 glow-head is smaller; with the .010 being the smallest.

TD .010 Tie Clip - Page 2 Glow-p10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:31 pm

a better image...

TD .010 Tie Clip - Page 2 Glow_h10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:41 pm

.020 would be my pick. As the .010 are a bit too small to see and the .049 may appear a bit large and gawdy.

Just my opinion though. If you like the large or really small then that's ok too.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:26 am

Hellskells wrote:Well you certainly are a creative bunch...Laughing 

No extra body holes to make use of and the usual set is probably best left alone as far as engine parts go.

Leaning towards cuff links. Opinions on which model glow head would be the best to use are more than welcome.
I'm happy you recognize ouur creativity!  lol! 

To the uninitiated ALL cox glo-heads appear indentical.  Go with whatever sytle is most available.  Someone here any even DONATE some.  (They don't even need to be functional if they're going to made into cuff links)

SD

Last edited by SuperDave on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:18 am

As the sleeve end is folded 3 times, a 020 head seems to be to small to keep everything together and it wouldn't catch the eye of the fellow Cox enthousiast. A 049 head would be fine but without using the threaded bit. At least, that is what Lagerfeld thinks.

TD .010 Tie Clip - Page 2 Karl-l10

DETAIL:

TD .010 Tie Clip - Page 2 Imgp5410

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:47 am

This "might" help you... depending on your resources... someone handy with tools, and the knowledge of dis-similar metal joinery, could make a pair for you. Actual glow-head bodies are made of aluminum... I'm not sure if it's possible to weld/braze a stainless-steel cuff-link back/setting, into an aluminum glow-plug. These "blanks" have 4mm "pins"... so; one way of attachment (after removing the plug's threads) is to "enlarge" the hole in the bottom (where the element/coil is visible) by drilling a (#21 drill/.159" dia.) SHALLOW hole, to accept the 4mm (.1575" dia.) cuff-link pin. Then join the pcs. by welding/brazing if possible... if not possible; epoxy glue might work... If "gold-plating" is desired, have it done BEFORE joining the pieces.

http://www.cuffcrazy.com/10-x-diy-silver-stainless-steel-round-tube-4mm-cufflink-back-setting

As you can see by the above page link... the "pin-style blanks" cost about $1.60 ea... (x10/$15.99)... There are other style ("disc-type") blanks as well, which may be an easier option; by merely joining the pieces with epoxy glue. A pair of "new" glow-plugs cost between $20/$25 plus shipping...  The "labor" involved... as I mentioned, depends on your resources.

I'm just trying to point out; that these need-not be an expensive thing to have made... and please accept my apologies if this was TMI Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:55 am

Lieven: Those are pretty nasty "tool marks" showing on cuff link. A better example would be more appropriate methinks. Smile 

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:59 am

I definitely agree with "Lieven" on choosing the .049 model glow-head as a "size" reference if you're having a jeweler design a pair. As a matter of fact... I wouldn't be surprised if upon receipt of them; that your fiancé rips the cuff-buttons off every L/S dress shirt he owns, to display them!..... I would! Laughing
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:15 pm

roddie wrote:This "might" help you... depending on your resources... someone handy with tools, and the knowledge of dis-similar metal joinery, could make a pair for you. Actual glow-head bodies are made of aluminum... I'm not sure if it's possible to weld/braze a stainless-steel cuff-link back/setting, into an aluminum glow-plug. These "blanks" have 4mm "pins"... so; one way of attachment (after removing the plug's threads) is to "enlarge" the hole in the bottom (where the element/coil is visible) by drilling a (#21 drill/.159" dia.) SHALLOW hole, to accept the 4mm (.1575" dia.) cuff-link pin. Then join the pcs. by welding/brazing if possible... if not possible; epoxy glue might work... If "gold-plating" is desired, have it done BEFORE joining the pieces.

http://www.cuffcrazy.com/10-x-diy-silver-stainless-steel-round-tube-4mm-cufflink-back-setting

As you can see by the above page link... the "pin-style blanks" cost about $1.60 ea... (x10/$15.99)... There are other style ("disc-type") blanks as well, which may be an easier option; by merely joining the pieces with epoxy glue. A pair of "new" glow-plugs cost between $20/$25 plus shipping...  The "labor" involved... as I mentioned, depends on your resources.

I'm just trying to point out; that these need-not be an expensive thing to have made... and please accept my apologies if this was TMI Smile
A good lathe hobbyist - like Ian - could easily copy a 049 glowhead in brass. I personally would nickel plate it. That gives such a nice yellowish shine instead of the "cold" chrome.

Ian, why don't you make a prototype ?

I know Superdave, but before photographing a better example, you first have to have one!
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:43 pm

you guys all want a pair now..... don't you? Cool seriously... I'm gonna' test my "used-plug" stock, to see if I have any bad ones that aren't nicked... Screw it into a cylinder and Dremel-buff it clean. Remove it's threads by screwing it partially into a worn-out cylinder, clamp in a vise and use a dremel cut-off wheel, while rotating the head with a Cox wrench. Use a file/sanding block to smooth it down to the fin.

A "real" glow-head would be my 1st choice... and Nickel plating I agree would be nice.

(edit) Any "Hobbyist" could make a pair (less plating) for around $25 (cost of x2 stud-links and x2 new .049 glow-heads)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:02 pm

Roddie:

Sorry! I haven't worn cuff links since middle of the last century when I also wore a grey flannel suit, a pink shirt, white bucks and a black tie. sunny 

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:05 pm

OVERLORD wrote:
roddie wrote:This "might" help you... depending on your resources... someone handy with tools, and the knowledge of dis-similar metal joinery, could make a pair for you. Actual glow-head bodies are made of aluminum... I'm not sure if it's possible to weld/braze a stainless-steel cuff-link back/setting, into an aluminum glow-plug. These "blanks" have 4mm "pins"... so; one way of attachment (after removing the plug's threads) is to "enlarge" the hole in the bottom (where the element/coil is visible) by drilling a (#21 drill/.159" dia.) SHALLOW hole, to accept the 4mm (.1575" dia.) cuff-link pin. Then join the pcs. by welding/brazing if possible... if not possible; epoxy glue might work... If "gold-plating" is desired, have it done BEFORE joining the pieces.

A good lathe hobbyist - like Ian - could easily copy a 049 glowhead in brass. I personally would nickel plate it. That gives such a nice yellowish shine instead of the "cold" chrome.

Ian, why don't you make a prototype ?

I know Superdave, but before photographing a better example, you first have to have one!

Cufflinks are now on my list of things.

Just finished earrings!

TD .010 Tie Clip - Page 2 Cox_ea10

TD .010 Tie Clip - Page 2 Cox_ea11
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Ha, funny enough, back in the late 70's I bought 2
Cox .010 pistons for my girlfriend to wear as earings.
She loved them. We were into the punk/new wave thing in L.A.
Those were the days, when parts like that were readily available.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Wanted Tie Clip

Post  ZACATTACK Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:05 am

PM Sent!!Smile Smile 

Lew
ZACATTACK
ZACATTACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Hellskells Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:29 pm

No not too much info very useful in fact.

Has anyone cracked the prototype yet? Seems you could make some cash selling on here.
Hellskells
Hellskells
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:43 am

Like an as-yet untapped vein of gold !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:57 am

Possibly but the marketing potential would need to be evaluated before the investment in making them is made.

Anyone?

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:28 am

We are really just talking a clip and a prop spacer. I really doubt a remake would appeal to a collector, not to mention who would actually wear a .010 around on thier tie? They are more valuable then they used to be.

It would be a very small market.

Of course if you were talking about glowhead cuff links then forget what I just said!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:41 am

Kim wrote:Like an as-yet untapped vein of gold !!!!
I was going for supportive humor...durn lack of emoticons....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:25 am

Similar, but different: I've made several necklace trinkets out of old glow plugs. I silver-solder a small silver ring onto the top and polish up the whole thing to a high finish. Because they look like miniature spark plugs they're a big hit with "petrol heads".
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Wanted Tie-Clip

Post  ZACATTACK Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:50 am

To a Cox builder/flyer/collector who is knowledgeable, appreciative and has studied the history of Leroy M Cox, this .010 Cox Tie-Clip would make the ultimate gift!! This original Cox .010 Tie-Clip is a truly cherished, rare piece of Cox History that rounds out a Cox collection perfectly, adding pizzazz and hint of authenticity to the collection like no other item distributed from Cox. I love my Cox Tie-Clip in the box and on my tie. I will Add This fact: If you wear this Cox Tie Clip to a wedding/dance, your guaranteed compliments all night long and makes for a great conversation piece.... worth every penny I paid for it!! Very Happy Very Happy 
ZACATTACK
ZACATTACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:47 am

There is absolutely no accounting for individual tastes nor should there be.

I've always believed in pursueing my passions so I'm a very happy old man.    Very Happy 

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  ZACATTACK Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Super Dave....Were talking about a simple collectable item here manufactured in 1962 by Leroy Cox. Whatever your commenting on and trying to say with all those words makes absolutely no sense to me. You don't wear ties, you have better things to spend your money on and you pursue your passions in life to bring you great happiness. What does all that have to do with a rare collectible Cox item? This discussion is not only making no sense, people are starting to get delirious in conversation. Time to close the thread me thinks!!
ZACATTACK
ZACATTACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bullit132 Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:09 pm

wow, zac are you having a bad day?Very Happy 
bullit132
bullit132
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:28 pm

ZACATTACK wrote:To a Cox builder/flyer/collector who is knowledgeable, appreciative and has studied the history of Leroy M Cox, this .010 Cox Tie-Clip would make the ultimate gift!! This original Cox .010 Tie-Clip is a truly cherished, rare piece of Cox History that rounds out a Cox collection perfectly, adding pizzazz and hint of authenticity to the collection like no other item distributed from Cox. I love my Cox Tie-Clip in the box and on my tie. I will Add This fact: If you wear this Cox Tie Clip to a wedding/dance, your guaranteed compliments all night long and makes for a great conversation piece.... worth every penny I paid for it!! Very Happy Very Happy   
Fyi, I am a Cox builder/flyer/collector who is knowledgeable, appreciative and has studied the history of Leroy M Cox...as well as other 1/2a manufactures, in fact i consider myself one of the more knowledgeable experts in the country. There's no way in hell i'd be caught dead wearing such a thing!

Zac,

I've studied and gathered info on these little engine for far longer then I probably should have and like I said previously, I do consider myself one of the more knowledgeable experts in the country, no as a boast but as fact.
I probably shouldn't of comment so negatively on you're post and I apologize. I guess it was in retaliation of sorts to your reply to SD (I posted the negative feedback) that and the thought of someone wearing a .010 to a wedding or dance just cracks me up, but hey, that's me. Whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by Mark Boesen on Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next