Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

R/C airplane weight Question  Cox_ba12

R/C airplane weight Question  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Today at 7:51 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Today at 7:35 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:09 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Today at 6:58 pm

» I break for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Today at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Today at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Today at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Today at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Today at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Today at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:09 am

» Tired of it all…
by roddie Yesterday at 11:09 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

R/C airplane weight Question  Empty
Live on Patrol

R/C airplane weight Question

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Happy R/C airplane weight Question

Post  getback Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:25 pm

I have this airplane I put an older conquest 4 FM transmitter / receiver and Battery pack in with mini servos and I am thinking its going to bee heavy for the TD .049 I have in it , I need some input before I put it up ... 2 channel ,36" WS ,26" fuse length and the best I can come up with bathroom scales is 1.25-1.5 Lbs. I have it s CG about 1" off LE here is some pics.     R/C airplane weight Question  Airpla10  R/C airplane weight Question  Airpla11  Thanks , Eric RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy Re: R/C airplane weight Question

Post  larrys4227 Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:43 pm

I have no idea about your question, but I really like the plane! Nice job!

RC Plane
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:18 pm

Well Thanks Larry , I got it for 20.00 already built w/ I think it had a BW on it ( swap meet ) next ... RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:19 pm

My 3 channel R/C Toucan has 800mm wingspan and weighs around 500 grams when the tank is full. It flies with a normal 049 COX Product engine rather well but with a TD051 it is a ball to fly.

R/C airplane weight Question  Toucan11

If you take off from its landing gear I would make sure it will have long enough runway like 5m or so. I hand-launch my R/C birds because of the grass on the field.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy Weight?

Post  happydad Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:27 pm

getback wrote:I have this airplane I put an older  conquest 4 FM transmitter / receiver and Battery pack in with mini servos and I am thinking its going to bee heavy for the TD .049 I have in it , I need some input before I put it up ... 2 channel ,36" WS ,26" fuse length and the best I can come up with bathroom scales is 1.25-1.5 Lbs. I have it s CG about 1" off LE here is some pics.     R/C airplane weight Question  Airpla10  R/C airplane weight Question  Airpla11  Thanks , Eric RC Plane

I would think 16 ounces maximum. You didn't say what the total wing area is? Chord times average wingspan. There is an average number for small planes oz./sq. in. or something like that. Something happens when you get old, but I can't remember what it is.
   P.s. I hope someone else answered this already.

Happydad. Still tired  I Love This Forum!  Head Bang  Head Bang  Head Bang  Money Toss  Money Toss  Fireworks  Fireworks
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:21 pm

Thanks guys sorry the width is 7"x36" core is 3/8" its a thin wing ?/ I cant find the cow Q later ?? It looks like a semi floater with the right engine Or load ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy sorry

Post  happydad Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:19 pm

getback wrote:Thanks guys sorry the width is 7"x36" core is 3/8" its a thin wing ?/ I cant find the cow Q later ?? It looks like a semi floater with the right engine Or load ?

sorry. I've been trying to get to the garage for hours to weigh a couple of my electric planes and subtract the extra weight of the extra large battery and the huge electric motor used in days of old, astro 05 motor and 6 cells sub C battery pack.

back soon

edited 10:12p.m. PST 9-5-15: to add data from my electric, glider and would be Cox gas plane.

My old electric Astro sport has a wingspan of 38 inches, chord of 8 inches = 304 sq. inches wing area. weight with the old astro .05 electric motor and 6 cell sub C battery pack, and radio = 36 ounces. It flew well, but fast only, no slow flying it was to skittery.
On the other side my favorite slope glider had a wingspan of 40 inches with a chord of 7 inches for a total wing area = 280 sq. inches. It weighed 14 ounces with radio and a AAA battery pack for longer flights. This was a small plane. It flew fast in heavy wing and slow in light wind.
  If i were to put a Cox gas engine in the Astro Sport the wing area would still be 304 sq. inches, but the engine, plane  and radio weight would now be only 17 ounces. The electric motor and battery weighed 18 ounces together. Glad the old electric motor days are gone.
   Hope this helps.
happydad  still retired, and still trying to help. RC Plane Head Bang Head Bang Head Bang Sleeping at Computer Fireworks

Last edited by happydad on Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding data)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:45 am

Thanks balogh That's 1.1 # 31.5 " w/s ,,, I need to find a better scale the wing area is 252 " and with a thin thickness wing I don't see a lot of lift Happydad those 4 AAA batt. is were the weight is you really need a big plane and power to fly these old systems lol! I will have to give it more consideration I don't want to destroy the poor lit. baby Laughing Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:00 pm

There are much lighter battery options. The LiFe batteries are an example. They're 6.6V/cell, so you need to make sure your receiver can handle one.

What model is it? I see your using a tank-mount for the Tee Dee. Was this model designed for a reedy? Is the c/g where it's recommended to be? There seems to be less dihedral in the wing than I'm used to seeing in a elev./rudder-only model.. but it's hard to tell from the photos. Ace RC made "Grasshoppers" in two different sizes.. 43.5" and 52.5". Both were designed for Cox .049 reed-valve engines.. and both specify a 20oz. weight. The 43.5" span version is 214 squares.. and the 52.5" version I believe is around 260 squares. Both wings have much less chord-percentage/span than your wing does. Your wing; having a thin airfoil section, may have a slightly positive angle of attack built into the wing-saddle, to generate lift in the design?

You might end up having a handful with the Tee Dee if this kit was designed for a reedy. Of course.. you could set the needle rich for the 1st flights. This model has trainer-like looks to me.. but I don't think it'll fly like one with a Tee Dee. Is that a 6" prop you're using? I'm just tryin' to help you avoid the "OH S#%T" feeling when you get it in the air. Two Cents
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:27 pm

Well, the 20-24 ounces you quote are on the high side, but since you're using a TD it should fly okay.  But, it won't glide really great.  It'll come down moderately fast rather than floating, but so long as you have the c.g. right it'll come down smoothly instead of falling out of the sky.  If I remember correctly, the S-Tee wing was a 7"x36" wing.  The wing in the picture sure looks a lot like a S-Tee wing.  The S-Tee and Q-Tee had relatively thin wings.    The S-Tee was originally designed for a ready to fly weight of 18-24 ounces, which was normal for the mid 70's, so you're at the upper limit of that design.  I flew my first Q-Tee with standard size servos and a AAA pack.  It flew okay with a Bee engine, but it didn't float after the engine stopped, and the glide was pretty fast coming down.  I had 200 flights on it when I gave it away, so that wing is definitely flyable long term at that weight.  

Look at this S-Tee plan and see if the wing looks the same.  If so, you can take your c.g from the plan for your first flights.  A smaller battery would be great, but if you don't have one, I'd give it a try with the one you have in there anyway.  Just look for a lighter battery as you fly what you have.

The Cutie Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy This was in 1986

Post  happydad Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:58 pm

getback wrote:Thanks balogh That's 1.1 # 31.5 " w/s ,,, I need to find a better scale the wing area is 252 " and with a thin thickness wing I don't see a lot of lift Happydad those 4 AAA batt. is were the weight is you really need a big plane and power to fly these old systems lol! I will have to give it more consideration I don't want to destroy the poor lit. baby Laughing  Eric  

This electric plane was last flown in about 1986. The state of the art batteries were 1/2 sub C cells for the Astro .05 motor.
   The sub AAA batteries were for the current sailplane and they weigh about 1 ounce.
  The Astro .05 put out enough power to almost make the Astro Sport plane go vertical, all 30+ ounces, almost. It was a stunt plane and I could do axial rolls with rudder and elevator.

Happydad RC Plane   Head Bang Head Bang Head Bang Head Bang Fireworks
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:51 pm

That's not it Mark both the wing and stab/elev. are solid here are some better pics . I am pretty sure it had a Black Widow on it the man said it was pretty fast but I don't know what radio equip. he had in it ????///  R/C airplane weight Question  Outsid10  R/C airplane weight Question  Outsid11  R/C airplane weight Question  Outsid12  R/C airplane weight Question  Outsid13 Pay no tension to the mess my son hasn't cleaned up yet Laughing Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:33 pm

Ah-HA!!!  The side pictures gave it away.  It seems to be a Honker Rocket without the turtledeck.  See the plans and building article here.  Also, the RCM logo sticker on the right wing reinforces the supposition of it being an RCM plan.  The article shows a flying weight of 20-25 ounces, so you're right in line with the original design weight.  

Also, make sure you use some foam to isolate the receiver from airframe vibration.  Bad Ju-Ju.

The Eureka! Mark

Last edited by batjac on Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:13 am

Clapping Clapping Hand Shake Thanks !! Mark That is it we have a winner !! looks like smaller batteries are in order and change engine to BW power , my experience with RC is low and not ready for all out haul ass model Airplane And the foam thanks for reminding me . yea that batt. pack want go through the cockpit hole so I'll look for some replacements . The guy I bought it from must not had planed on racing it or he would have put the Ailerons in force to make it turn and not skid so bad but that's OK for now . Eric Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy Weight?

Post  VUgearhead Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:43 am

Getback,

I was asking similar questions a while back on my Ace Whizard. With my old Focus 4 equipment, I was weighing up at 24 ounces, and was very nervous.

I was able to shave 4 oz. off of the all up weight by replacing all of the onboard electronics (battery, receiver, 3 servos) and going to foamie wheels instead of rubber ones. The wheels alone saved me an ounce of weight.

The Whizard is pulled around by newer 049 medallion with muffler throttle, so I honestly don't think you'll have much of a problem with a TD on your Honker.
VUgearhead
VUgearhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:04 am

Thanks for the reply VU... I am concerned with the CG though way to forward and I cant even wrap the batterys with form they are so tight , with one bad landing they would probably come through the fuse Crying or Very sad The TD has a 6x3 TD prop so I could run it rich a tad and would keep the speed down till I can get it figured out . getback Rolling Eyes
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:07 am

getback wrote:Thanks for the reply VU... I am concerned with the CG though way to forward and I cant even wrap the batterys with form they are so tight , with one bad landing they would probably come through the fuse Crying or Very sad The TD has a 6x3 TD prop so I could run it rich a tad and would keep the speed down till I can get it figured out . getback Rolling Eyes
What I have done in the past when I couldn't get the battery through the former with the foam on is to cut the foam into smaller pieces and put them in the bottom and sides to make a "rubber room" in the nose, and push the battery in place. Then I stuff a piece of foam on top of the battery. It held in place pretty well for me.

The Crazy Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:15 am

No that's foam isn't the prob. its the opening to small for the batt pack and the CG being too far foreward already .. I will have to see I may can make a cradle from a couple popsicle sticks and put it over the servos Mad I don't even like that but .. later I will pull the plane back out and look again and reck. that CG . get back to you before I do something stupid and see what you think . I have 2 hinge jobs I want to get done today also !! Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:22 am

Eric, have you thought about reconfiguring your RX battery-pack arrangement from a flat-pack, to a square AAA one? That would be cheap enough to try at least.

There are different connector options..

R/C airplane weight Question  4xaaa_10
R/C airplane weight Question  4xaaa_11

to arrive at this configuration..

R/C airplane weight Question  4xaaa_12

4xAAA NiMh 1000mAh option

You may be able to open-up (hog-out with a Dremel's rotary-rasp) the forward-bulkhead.. enough to position the battery more forward.. thus addressing two issues; a too-far fwd. cg, and the overall fit of the pack. If the hogged-out opening is sized correctly, a foam-rubber wrap around the pack would help to hold it in position when it expands against the bulkhead. As for foam-padding.. the newer type "shelf-liner" is a very thin rubberized-foam mat which is spongy.. and could be wrapped around the battery-pack until it fits snug.

This is a AA holder.. but you get the idea. The AAA holder is a lot smaller.. and I'm sure you could make room for it.

R/C airplane weight Question  4xaa_s11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:03 pm

You know.. Eyebrows either engine could be fitted with an exhaust-throttle cylinder-set, if you had one.. just sayin'.. Paranoid
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Happy R/C sleeve

Post  happydad Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:55 pm

roddie wrote:You know.. Eyebrows either engine could be fitted with an exhaust-throttle cylinder-set, if you had one.. just sayin'.. Paranoid

I have the R/C sleeve and cylinder-R/C sleeve sets, new and old. So do ESP and coxengines.ca (new). PM me for my info.

happydad  RC Plane 4th of July Flag (Labor Day)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:04 am

Thanks guys , the battery arrangement is something to think about and I have throttle rings muffled or not , before I even think of that I need to get this figured out ran out of time yesterday my hinge job on the .020 Zero became a repair before I can finish stitching Mad May be today I have a lot I have got behind on that I have got to get R done stuff then play . Rolling Eyes Throttle sound better an better but batt. CG first RC Plane Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:40 pm

I think you'd be fine, back in the early 80's i had powered this plane with a golden bee, two full size servos and a 500 mah battery, barely keep airborne, added a Tee Dee and it flew great! Later swapped out battery for 250 mah battery, even better.

R/C airplane weight Question  Papill10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:43 pm

I think the plane will fly just fine, that's what they used to weight in the 80-ties and they flew just fine. You won't need any throttle though...

The spring held batteries are dangerous though, as the batteries can shift and disconnect. You'll be much better off with a soldered battery pack from e.g. Radical RC (RX battery packs)

Here is the plane I learnt to fly on, used a two-channel standard radio and a BabeBee engine, 26" wingspan and about 20oz ;

R/C airplane weight Question  Img_1610
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:24 pm

Kris beat me to it but I'll say it as well, I would steer away from any of the dry cell battery holders, They don't take kindly to vibration and have a notorious reputation of either breaking or a battery pulling away from a contact and causing power loss bad thing with a flying model.
If you need room and less weight, I would go with a 250Mh flat pack. That's what I use when I build small models.
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next