Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Tee Dee .09 rebuild.. and run! - Page 7 Cox_ba12

Tee Dee .09 rebuild.. and run! - Page 7 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 9:55 am

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 8:23 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 8:06 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Tee Dee .09 rebuild.. and run! - Page 7 Empty
Live on Patrol

Tee Dee .09 rebuild.. and run!

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Tee Dee .09 rebuild.. and run! - Page 7 Empty Re: Tee Dee .09 rebuild.. and run!

Post  MauricioB Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Tee Bee wrote:I checked and neither the TD or Med piston had an oil passage hole like yours.  Maybe it's a year thing?  Tee Dee .09 rebuild.. and run! - Page 7 Image16
While I was at it, I went ahead and attempted to straighten the rod just as you did.  With just a bit of pressure, it snapped in two.  It probably already had a stress crack.  It was worth a try, though.  The engine has been remounted to the plane for another go next week when I get another day off.  A perfectly good Medallion has been relegated to the spare parts box until I stumble onto another piston.  As for fuel, I use Sig Champion 25.  I buy it in quart bottles and add 1.5 fl.oz. extra Klotz castor oil.  It has served me well for many years in all my Cox engines for sport flying and I don't think the rod failure had anything to do with the mix.  

That hurts my friend! What a shame to see the connecting rod broken, here in my country you would have run out of power since it is very difficult to find any part!
I suggested using the method of the bench vise as it makes the effect of a press and can gradually control the pressure, the clamp is a system of levers and multiplies the force, which many times we can not control ... even the supports are of hardwood, thing that make of fuse !!!! and the connecting rod does not suffer consequences! '...... it is also true that he may have been fatigued .... in short they are part of the experience of each one, this did not go well! ....
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Tee Dee .09 rebuild.. and run! - Page 7 Empty Re: Tee Dee .09 rebuild.. and run!

Post  Tee Bee Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:07 pm

Mauricio, I would have considered your press technique but my rod was bent inside the piston skirt just below the ball/cup. I was unable to gain the leverage needed for that technique. It snapped at the base of the skirt just below the bend. As for another piston, it seems this hobby is a never-ending scavenger hunt. Smile
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:15 pm

Tee Bee wrote:Mauricio, I would have considered your press technique but my rod was bent inside the piston skirt just below the ball/cup.  I was unable to gain the leverage needed for that technique.  It snapped at the base of the skirt just below the bend.  As for another piston, it seems this hobby is a never-ending scavenger hunt.  Smile

I understand, maybe use the clamp, but giving pressure with the bench vise .... the subject is to have control of applied force ......... it hurts ..... it's like sand in the eyes ... now ... now to find another solution or replacement.
The theme is that there must be lots of things out there stored by users ... so it's not complicated like here to get anywhere ... maybe that's why it hurts so much !! Sad
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:25 am

Roddie,  Troy

vintage TD049 and 09 engines from the first generation had the oil holes on the crankpin end of the rod. My oldest 049 has it but neither of the later engines has it.
COX may have realized the hole did not add too much to the lubrication given the loose fit of the pin in the rod end that in itself already allows oil to reach the mating surfaces and gave up with it to save costs.

My TD051 with the longest service history of near 300 hours still has its rod to pin connection as new without the oil hole.

Last edited by balogh on Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:55 am

Interesting. Sooo many variations of the same engines and parts over the years!
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:25 am

balogh wrote:Roddie,  Troy

vintage TD049 and 09 engines from the first generation had the oil holes on the crankpin end of the rod. My oldest 049 has it but neither of the later engines has it.
COX may have realized the hole did not add too much to the lubrication given the loose fit of the pin in the rod end that in itself already allows oil to reach the mating surfaces and gave up with it to save costs.

My TD051 with the longest service history of near 300 hours still has its rod to pin connection as new without the oil hole.

Thanks for that Info Andras!! I can understand the reasoning. The machining of the Cox piston-rods must have been an intricate process in itself.. without having to "fixture" and drill that oil-hole afterward.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:31 pm

Do not know what a used PC .09 set is worth but I do run throught the RC Groups wants adds once a week

There is a Medallion .09 for $35 that I bet the guy would take $30 for...been there a while with no contact to the seller

You should also pay attention to the use engine LOTS that are always there... on time I got 20 engines for less than $2 bucks each with shipping... yes most of the junk was junk... but I did get 11 good no broken ear metal Cox back plates and a bunch of original beryllium/copper Star reeds that I like
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:59 pm

balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:12 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Do not know what a used PC .09 set is worth but I do run throught the RC Groups wants adds once a week

There is a Medallion .09 for $35 that I bet the guy would take $30 for...been there a while with no contact to the seller

You should also pay attention to the use engine LOTS that are always there... on time I got 20 engines for less than $2 bucks each with shipping... yes most of the junk was junk... but I did get 11 good no broken ear metal Cox back plates and a bunch of original beryllium/copper Star reeds that I like

Yes.. those Bee parts are good to have spares of for sure! As for Cox .09 engines.. The Tee Dee is the only one I have.. and it's "new to me". If it turns out to run ok with its "rod-issue".. I may look for some spare-parts like another P/C set, Cox 7 x 3.5 props and spare glow-head(s). I like the AL carb-body that ExModel engines/Matt sells.. but it just wouldn't be a wise purchase unless I can find another P/C set. A rod-reset tool would be nice too... but the only income that I'm generating right now is coming from band-gigs.  silent
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:23 pm

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Good points.  My internet search results for new .09 pistons mostly resulted in finding others also looking for them hopelessly.  At least the Medallion pistons will work in the TD and complete Medallions can be found at somewhat reasonable prices as pointed out.  In fact, I purchased one this morning. Smile It still bothers me since I've now got another otherwise fine engine in the box that needs a piston.  In my recent quest to put together a few more usable TD .020s and spare parts, I had to use the same technique of aquiring some decent Pee Wees for donor pistons and cylinders.  While that gets the job done, I now feel a bit sad for those Pee Wees in need of a top end.  Trying to make all your Cox parts add up to complete engines can make you bonkers and financially broke.  Anyway, the good thing about all this .09 nonsense is that it has given me the desire to add a Medallion .09 powered sport plane to the build queue.  I flew a Pong Two for years with one of those and had a blast with it.  Without a throttle sleeve, I found you could tune the engine RPMs with head selection/compression.  I ran it with stock Medallion, TD, glow plug conversion, and turbo glow plug conversion heads. The engine ran fine with either setup but put up different power and RPM performance accordingly.  With the glow plug conversion head, the Pong Two with Med .09 made a nice and easy 2-channel trainer that helped my son learn to fly.  With a Turbo plug or TD head, it was noticeably more powerful and fast.  I'm thinking that a Sig Hummer or something along those lines would be fun with the easy-going Med .09 on it.  Like most model builders, I think of projects way faster than I can actually get them done.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:52 pm

I didn't read very far back so forgive me if I missed it but how did you determine a Medallion piston will fit the TD? My Medallion 15 pistons won't go past the exhaust ports of my TD 15s before they tighten up. I needed pistons for my TD cylinders and was hoping Medallions would work but no dice.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:32 pm

That's interesting. I have a used Med .15 and a NIB TD .15 but no mechanical experience with them at this point. To be honest, I simply laid out a TD and Med .09 piston side by side. The dimensions were the same so I reassembled the TD with the Med piston and gave her a few hand flips. Felt good so I mounted the engine back in the plane. We'll see how she runs soon. I'm working 12hr shifts again for now.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Ya, if it fits and flips should be fine. I figured the TD cylinder is tapered and my piston not. the two later model TD 15s had iron pistons I believe, the Special and Mark II.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:10 pm

I got the engine running today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4fr6Isu7qw

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:32 pm

A very healthy run at length...congratulations Roddie.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:01 pm

balogh wrote:A very healthy run at length...congratulations Roddie.

Thank You Andras! I had come close to giving up. I shot an earlier frustrating 17min. vid that was bewildering to say the least. I flooded the engine several times... flipped and flipped and flipped. I couldn't tell where the needle-setting was. The knob is so small, I couldn't see the registration-mark. I ran an .049 product-engine earlier.. and my tach wouldn't read.. so I didn't bother trying to get any #'s on the Tee Dee. I was just happy that I got it going.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:22 pm

OUTSTANDING!! Congratulations!
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:37 pm

Cox 7x3.5

Static 13,969 to 14,050 / 21oz thrust / .167hp / 125w / 47 mph

Well done a greenie for you sir!!

Last edited by 1/2A Nut on Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:45 pm

Congrats Roddie!
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:56 pm

Thanks Bob, Brad and Troy! It took me long enough.. didn't it? Rolling Eyes
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:31 pm

Congrats Roddie! nice run
Phil
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:39 pm

chevyiron420 wrote:Congrats Roddie! nice run
Phil

Thanks Phil. It had me scratching my head for a bit this afternoon.. but I finally had some good luck.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:02 pm

HATS OFF RODDIE!!
The gods weren't exactly going easy with you on this one, bro.
Glad you persisted, and hope you are too. +
She sounds good.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:06 pm

YAA HOO! Good for you!

Nice to see all your efforts turn into a running engine!  Great video too.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next