Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Carl Goldberg "Ranger 42" is ready for the 30th S.M.A.L.L. Fly ! Cox_ba12

Carl Goldberg "Ranger 42" is ready for the 30th S.M.A.L.L. Fly ! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 9:54 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:35 am

» Tired of it all…
by Coxfledgling Today at 7:23 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by getback Today at 6:29 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Carl Goldberg "Ranger 42" is ready for the 30th S.M.A.L.L. Fly ! Empty
Live on Patrol

Carl Goldberg "Ranger 42" is ready for the 30th S.M.A.L.L. Fly !

Go down

Carl Goldberg "Ranger 42" is ready for the 30th S.M.A.L.L. Fly ! Empty Carl Goldberg "Ranger 42" is ready for the 30th S.M.A.L.L. Fly !

Post  Kim Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:02 pm

Really making use of these calm days on the hill!  After flying the daylights out of the Dynaflite "Butterfly" over the past three days, my unflown Ranger 42 got cranked up and launched. With a bit of waffling over the past months, I'd settled on a good-running Cox Medallion .049 I'd gotten at a Swap Meet, and it looks to be a perfect fit for the Ranger.

All was not well with the first flight, though.  I had control just long enough to do a little trimming before the plane rolled over and spun into the ground.   Fortunately, the thick grass and clover of the pasture allowed it to come out with just a notch of foam missing from it's right trailing edge where the rubber bands dug in, and was easy to fix.

The elevator worked, but the rudder was totally locked hard to the left, so I replaced the Spectrum receiver with one of my faithful "Long Antenna Types"!  Got the 72Mhz transmitter charged, and did an old fashioned range check with everything working.

Once the heat backed down a bit later in the day, I again launched the antique model airplane, and got two good flights before retreating to the air conditioning.  Everything worked well, but I may back the rudder throw off a bit to reduce it's sensitivity.  Could be though, that I just had first flight jitters, and I only need to get to know it better.

So, another S.M.A.L.L. Flyer to chuck in Tony's Group Photo this October!!!!!!!

Old Ranger Kim

Carl Goldberg "Ranger 42" is ready for the 30th S.M.A.L.L. Fly ! 10_28

Carl Goldberg "Ranger 42" is ready for the 30th S.M.A.L.L. Fly ! 12_24

Carl Goldberg "Ranger 42" is ready for the 30th S.M.A.L.L. Fly ! 4_46

https://youtu.be/3yBuMhU_3h4

Last edited by Kim on Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Carl Goldberg "Ranger 42" is ready for the 30th S.M.A.L.L. Fly ! Empty Re: Carl Goldberg "Ranger 42" is ready for the 30th S.M.A.L.L. Fly !

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:15 pm

All I can say is that's the coolest darn thing ever. BRAVO!!! that's a real winner there and that brings back some great memories. I remember these flying back in the day.Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Carl Goldberg "Ranger 42" is ready for the 30th S.M.A.L.L. Fly ! Empty Re: Carl Goldberg "Ranger 42" is ready for the 30th S.M.A.L.L. Fly !

Post  Kim Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 pm

Ken Cook wrote:             All I can say is that's the coolest darn thing ever. BRAVO!!! that's a real winner there and that brings back some great memories. I remember these flying back in the day.Ken

Thanks Ken!  

I never saw one "in the flesh" back in the day, but carried a page from a magazine with it's ad to my summer job, and thoroughly bored everybody with stories about how I was gonna get one and fly it.

So, 51 years late ain't TOO bad !!!!!!!

Last edited by Kim on Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:03 am

PERFECT! Loved the last landing! Seems to have a decent glide ratio after engine out. Seeing those magazine advertisements did bring back memories of , Oooh, I’d like to have one of those, so check one off the Bucket List!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:41 am

That is very Cool , it just looks good in the air and what a floater after power , I know you had some good fun with the flights Thanks Kim !! sunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:29 pm

getback wrote:That is very Cool , it just looks good in the air and what a floater after power , I know you had some good fun with the flights Thanks Kim !! sunny

Thanks Eric!  

Once I get it's flight times down a little better, there'll be some low-flying stuff !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:56 pm

I like the view that the fish-eye lens gives. Also the flat lands and slightly rolling hills of your area. Wish I had that to fly R/C in here. We are in a valley between two ridges with many trees.

When the engine quits do you dial in a little up trim on the elevator then just let her float then flare out at the end?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:06 pm

rsv1cox wrote:

When the engine quits do you dial in a little up trim on the elevator then just let her float then flare out at the end?  

Pretty much...though the plane is STILL a little tail heavy, and I couldn't find the sweet spot on it's two flights. Once it's got some more time, I ought to be able to have just tiny changes in trim with engine out. May also put a couple more washers under the top mounting screws, to get everything to work together.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down