Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Vibra-Tak...Old School Tachometer...GOT ME ONE !!!!!!! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Vibra-Tak...Old School Tachometer...GOT ME ONE !!!!!!! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I break for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 12:09 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Vibra-Tak...Old School Tachometer...GOT ME ONE !!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Vibra-Tak...Old School Tachometer...GOT ME ONE !!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Vibra-Tak...Old School Tachometer...GOT ME ONE !!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Vibra-Tak...Old School Tachometer...GOT ME ONE !!!!!!!

Post  Kim Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:36 pm

GermanBeez wrote:awesome, kim!
say, have you got a YT channel?

Yeah...my name there is "wintersportster' . I thought I'd subscribed to your channel, but may need to check again.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Vibra-Tak...Old School Tachometer...GOT ME ONE !!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Vibra-Tak...Old School Tachometer...GOT ME ONE !!!!!!!

Post  GermanBeez Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:38 pm

yah, i think you did..
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:00 pm

So I find, arrived and waiting in my post box, my Vintage/Modern Vibra-Tak !!! Complete, as advertised, with leather holster and Life-Time Guarantee!

Yet another of my adolescent puzzles loses it's mystery. I might not be getting smarter, but I AM wondering about stuff less and less!!!

For this evening though, it shall reside in Nostalgic Splender next to my also-just-arrived Ebay Goldberg "Ranger 42".

And then, tomorrow, we shall Tak some vibrations!

Vibra-Tak...Old School Tachometer...GOT ME ONE !!!!!!! - Page 2 V-t_3_10

Vibra-Tak...Old School Tachometer...GOT ME ONE !!!!!!! - Page 2 V-t_1_10

Vibra-Tak...Old School Tachometer...GOT ME ONE !!!!!!! - Page 2 V-t_1_11

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Looking at these instructions alone is a nostalgia trip! How many here even know what a "Slide Rule" (also known as a "slip stick") was?, and how many could still read one? and aren't you glad you no longer have to!

lol!
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:13 pm

Great Kim, tell us how it works and maybe a video!
(I means how well I works,, we all know it runs on imagination of course)
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Man, you got all the neat stuff. How does it work on girls?
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:36 pm

nitroairplane wrote:Great Kim, tell us how it works and maybe a video!
(I means how well I works,, we all know it runs on imagination of course)

It shall be done !!!!

Yep Andrew, I was one of those kids who never had a clue about slide-rules when they WERE the going thing. There have been times though, when I could get some good stuff going with it's circular cousin, my faithful E6-B !!!!!!!!

Vibra-Tak...Old School Tachometer...GOT ME ONE !!!!!!! - Page 2 E6-b10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:39 pm

crankbndr wrote:Man, you got all the neat stuff. How does it work on girls?

The gadgets seldom draw the babes...generally it's better just go straight-forward with cash...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:45 pm

I knew how to work the E6-B but Ive forgotten it all in my old age. Very handy tool for flying.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:13 pm

crankbndr wrote:I knew how to work the E6-B but Ive forgotten it all in my old age. Very handy tool for flying.

Yeah, they've pretty much gone the way of all the rest of the mechanical calculators. I was fascinated AND intimidated by them as I flirted with learning to fly.

There was a stretch of time when I became possessed with them like a kid with a new video game. I couldn't put it down, and was constantly creating cross-country scenarios, making up flight conditions and using a chart to plan imaginary flights. This one is my second "Whiz-Wheel", I'd worn half of the info off the one I used for training.

The thing looks alien to me now, but if I messed with it a while, figure I could probably get it to talk to me. Old guys and their old stuff...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:24 pm

I logged about 50 hours in C-150 in the early 70s before I decided I did not have the "right stuff".
Give a kid an airplane? Man did I have fun.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:45 pm

crankbndr wrote:I logged about 50 hours in C-150 in the early 70s before I decided I did not have the "right stuff".
Give a kid an airplane? Man did I have fun.

Well, you know, they're still around! Might be fun to get yourself an "Intro Ride" and just get a little playtime! Every other year, I used to drive my van down to Seminole Gliderport, south of Clermont, and rent Grobe's and 2-33's from a guy named Knute who ran the the place. Think it's gone to a different owner now, but it might be worth checking. Maybe get yourself a Glider ride over the swamps there !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:24 pm

Kim wrote:
The gadgets seldom draw the babes...generally it's better just go straight-forward with cash...

Oh, I don't know, the E6-B is pretty enticing. But, here's the scenario: Hey, babe. Why don't you come on over to the house tonight. We'll have dinner, pop some popcorn, watch a movie, have a few glasses of wine, then we'll try out my new Vibra-Tak.

Guaranteed success.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:20 pm

So, right before having to leave for work, I suddenly decided that it was a priority for me to set-up an engine in a stand and run a test of my Fowler Vibra-Tach Slide-Rule Tachometer. The video is not the best (the oscillating wire of the tach is out of frame), but I DID get some interesting results!

Maybe, on a better day, with more time, I'll try a little better set-up to video another test.

Vibra-Tak...Old School Tachometer...GOT ME ONE !!!!!!! - Page 2 Video_11

Vibra-Tak...Old School Tachometer...GOT ME ONE !!!!!!! - Page 2 1_106

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:11 pm

Seems pretty good to me, a nice thing to have.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks Indra, I just wanted a little better view of me adjusting the thing. Had a bit of a problem picking a spot where there was good, solid contact WITHOUT getting into that prop.

Turns out, it's pretty darn accurate.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:36 am

Should be very accurate, I have a dial type for the lawnmower. It might be too bulky for the Cox engine. I need to try it and see.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:50 am

Kim wrote:Thanks Indra, I just wanted a little better view of me adjusting the thing. Had a bit of a problem picking a spot where there was good, solid contact WITHOUT getting into that prop.

Turns out, it's pretty darn accurate.

Your not kidding!!!!! Almost spot on with the digital. Who'd a thunk it?

Cool! Thanks for that.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:16 am

I guess it would HAVE to be fairly accurate to survive the decades, and STILL be manufactured, but with my near-zero engineering experience, I've got to admit some amazement that a piece of shaking wire can be made to accurately calculate the RPM of an engine. Makes me feel like a caveman, trying to get a grasp of fire !!

Also, I HAVE to wonder, how many of these things got away from their owner's grasp...to be instantly launched across the flying field by a high-revving prop ???!!!!! "The Flying Tach of Death" !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:19 am

Kim wrote:I guess it would HAVE to be fairly accurate to survive the decades, and STILL be manufactured, but with my near-zero engineering experience, I've got to admit some amazement that a piece of shaking wire can be made to accurately calculate the RPM of an engine. Makes me feel like a caveman, trying to get a grasp of fire !!

Also, I HAVE to wonder, how many of these things got away from their owner's grasp...to be instantly launched across the flying field by a high-revving prop ???!!!!! "The Flying Tach of Death" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a funny mental picture. Wonder what one yells when a tach is sent sailing?

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:33 am

Probably something loud and extremely unfit for younger ears...both from the launcher AND launchee !!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:43 pm

Can you imagine if it hit you on it's way, the questions at the hospital? "And how did you come to be impaled by this tachometer?"

lol!
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2