Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Cox_ba12

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by MauricioB Today at 1:53 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by MauricioB Today at 1:50 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 1:42 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Empty
Live on Patrol

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Empty OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:35 am

Think I will mount it on my dash.  Smile

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Wankel10
OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Wankel11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Empty Re: OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen

Post  rdw777 Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:41 pm

Way to go Bob!…. Yes, Under the present journey was bound to happen…. Totally get it…. Let us know what you find out about that rotary wonder Very Happy

I just found and ordered my first ever .010…. Hope she’s a good’un!!

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Empty Re: OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:14 pm

rdw777 wrote:Way to go Bob!…. Yes, Under the present journey was bound to happen…. Totally get it…. Let us know what you find out about that rotary wonder Very Happy

I just found and ordered my first ever .010…. Hope she’s a good’un!!

Robert

Your going to love running that .010 Robert. I had one years ago while living in Florida. New, it was an easy starter and loved to wind up. Wonderful sound from that little thing. Build another Silver Lining for it. Post, post, post. I still love the little things.

Didn't know that you had a childhood Stingray. Schwinn? Gray Ghost? Bought one for Mark.

Hopefully a good one. Should be "as new" according to seller. Reminds me of a Star War probe.

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Wankel12

But just in case, I bought another one more to my liking. Beat-up, phillips screws hogged out and who knows what else. Gives me something to play with. ebay just listed BIN. Made an offer and the seller took it. A fraction of what they are going for.

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Bad_wa11
OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Bad_wa10

I have wanted one of these ever since they first came out. Put it off, put it off. But, hey.........I'm 85 with one foot on a banana peel. Times running out for getting the good stuff....Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:49 pm

CRAZY COOL BOB!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:55 pm

Glad you found another one Bob to rehab… Your specialty is free stuck components!!!! I remember when they were advertised and yes, expensive….. I remember when the .010’s were advertised too and relatively not that expensive but at least for RC, Cox had outpaced the electronics manufacturers in miniaturization by a number of years except for simple single channel…. Nowadays more functions for lighter and cheaper…. Opens the door for some neat possibilities….

You bet will keep posting….. Pageboy is due for updates soon….Just slowing down and enjoying the tinker part of it….

I can’t remember for sure if the bike had the Schwinn tag on front or not…. Definitely had Stingray on the chain guard in white…Bike was gold with chrome fenders… Single speed coaster brake…. I “hopped it up” by putting a slick on the back!….Lots of jumps with a 2 x propped on a stack of blocks …Mom won it at an auction they had geared towards kids that was sponsored by Gandy’s milk…. The “money “ to bid with was milk carton tops…

Keep playing with these, Keeps you young!!! Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:04 pm

Bob, I'm happy to see how much energy you have!!, I'm glad you're doing this and sharing it with all of us, I'll be watching your progress!
Robert, congratulations on Cox's .010, I hope you have it with you soon and we'll see if you share with us here with that little gem.
Hug for you friends!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:11 am

Bob I have always wondered how the fuel economy of a Wankel - having those apex seals less perfectly retaining compression than a well fit ringless piston in a common IC engine- compare to that of a normal reciprocating model engine ? I assume the Wankel rpm-s are higher by default than reciprocating engines so with that said, even if probably more blow-by but shorter compression-expansion cycles Wankels are fuel efficient engines? Sorry for theorizing, but we seldom discuss Wankels here and I would appreciate.others' opinion.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:16 am

Dave McIntire does a good job in his videos of taking one apart and then reassembly, then run it when he rebuilt it.

OS Wankel A Look Inside Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pftLfBjN6kQ

OS Wankel A Look Inside Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWdEWcAOttY

OS Wankel The First Run After Rebuild:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvkfZ45NAwg&t=3s

Here is the full list of different OS/Graupner Wankel engines he has run:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsvn3JGZAOMuIp_nXQsLMUrIqzhUFCdUQ
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:22 am

balogh wrote:Bob I have always wondered how the fuel economy of a Wankel - having those apex seals less perfectly retaining compression than a well fit ringless piston in a common IC engine- compare to that of a normal reciprocating model engine ? I assume the Wankel rpm-s are higher by default than reciprocating engines so with that said, even if probably more blow-by but shorter compression-expansion cycles Wankels are fuel efficient engines?  Sorry for theorizing, but we seldom discuss Wankels here and I would appreciate.others' opinion.

This is a pretty good run-down of the various 1984's.  I never did check the mileage on my '85 but they are not known for their fuel economy.  

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/1984_mazda_rx-7.shtml

The Wankels use a little injected spitz of oil to lubricate the seals, but I don't recall excessive consumption on mine.  The fun part of a Wankel are their willingness to rev up.  

And yes, videos.  There are so many that I have to cut my time short watching them or I would never get any work done.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:35 am

sosam117 wrote:Dave McIntire does a good job in his videos of taking one apart and then reassembly, then run it when he rebuilt it.

OS Wankel A Look Inside Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pftLfBjN6kQ

OS Wankel A Look Inside Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWdEWcAOttY

OS Wankel The First Run After Rebuild:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvkfZ45NAwg&t=3s

Here is the full list of different OS/Graupner Wankel engines he has run:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsvn3JGZAOMuIp_nXQsLMUrIqzhUFCdUQ

Thanks for posting those three videos, they helped a lot in disassembly.  Most of the machine screws were hogged out but I only had to drill one head.  Never underestimate the power of heat, or the pain of burned fingers.  JIS screwdriver and vice grips helped on two. I can't pull the drive washer, gear puller way too big.  Got to figure that one out.

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen P1014717

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen P1014713
OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen P1014712
OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen P1014714
OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen P1014716
OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen P1014715

Some PO not sure of what he was doing had been in there before.  Sad

How about this for an application.

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Ford-t10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:57 pm

rsv1cox wrote:OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen P1014715

Some PO not sure of what he was doing had been in there before. Sad
I'm not sure what you mean by "PO", Bob, (or, another terminology that has Censored meaning?) Doh!

Also not sure what I should be seeing that is wrong, somewhat unfamiliar with the rotary technology. Clue?

rsv1cox wrote:How about this for an application.

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Ford-t10
Fokker had an earlier single engine version. Also, perhaps a pre-WW2 Junkers W-34? Very Happy

I have in the past thought about the OS Wankel, but the latest version until discontinued at $450.00 a pop was a bit more engine than I wanted to spend money on. It is fantastic technology, Nick Ziroli used one on his Grumman F4F Wildcat, which gave it zippy performance.

Since, I have watched the auction prices, and seemed more a pipe dream, beyond my "fun" budget, (why I don't have a larger Tee Dee yet.) Laughing

But, congrats on your purchases. Stereo Lighting The Tree Would like to see a run-up report video of those. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:00 pm

"PO" = Previous Owner George.

Your first picture, notice the distressed Phillips holding the counter-weight on. That and missing screws, hogged out threads replaced by a nut, etc. etc.. No need for that. Correct screwdriver, penetrating oil, heat. If a heat gun doesn't work, get out the butane torch.

Yes, I think old Henry copied the Fokker.

And yes, expensive for what they are. Main reason I held off buying one for so long. Took the RX-7 and 85 years to move me. When I get around to it, I want to weigh one and compare with a standard .30 engine.

Mikes Wankel video guy was right on. Somebody loves them.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:29 pm

They work great for converting glow fuel back into castor oil.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:49 pm

Thanks, Bob for clarifying. For me, sports cars are out of the question. My 2001 Kawasaki XII Voyager tourer is sufficiently sporty for me, so I guess in a way we all have similar interests for speed and acceleration. (I roll the throttle and with the 4 carbs opening up, watch the cars behind me disappear, 96 HP upsized, detuned 4 cylinder 1200 Ninja engine.)

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen 2013-010

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen 2013-011

I'm getting there in age, but not ready yet for a trike. Very Happy

But, could not leave enough alone, just won this, a K&B .09 Torpedo C/L engine. Very Happy

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Kb_09_10
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:14 pm

Ken Cook wrote:          They work great for converting glow fuel back into castor oil.

I think that's a negative on the Wankels Ken.  Smile Smile

Beautiful bike George.  My ex son-inlaw and my two grandsons would would applaud.  I never got by my Honda S-90.  I'm just not of a size to haul around a big bike, not that I wouldn't love to.

Edit. Just saw your K&B. Super interesting and something that I would jump on too.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:54 pm

That sure is a neat little engine there. Never seen, nor heard one run in person. Very interesting!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:09 pm

NEW222 wrote:That sure is a neat little engine there. Never seen, nor heard one run in person. Very interesting!
Are you referring to Bob's OS .30 Wankel or my post just now of my K&B .09 Torpedo?  Huh...  lol!

The K&B Torpedo .09 probably doesn't sound much different than my OS Pet .099-III CL, Enya .09-III's, OS Max .10R/C, Fuji .099 S-II R/C, and etc. Very Happy All those are fenced (baffled) piston and cross scavenged. Fact it's exhaust port is on the left side rather than the right means it will be mounted on the left side of a profile fuselage, so exhaust is down (away from hands and face.)  Doh!

When it gets here and I get a chance to clean it up, will post more on it. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:12 am

Wankels = potato chips. You can't stop at just one.

ebay last night about 2am. I was sound asleep. Under my ebay tree this morning.

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Wankel13
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:10 pm

The Torp .09 is a neat engine and it does pretty well for a older engine. They're a bit loud but they sound great. It has a slightly different note over the OS. One of my club members built a Netzeband Scared Kitten around the .09 and it works terrific.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:26 pm

Ken Cook wrote:                The Torp .09 is a neat engine and it does pretty well for a older engine. They're a bit loud but they sound great. It has a slightly different note over the OS. One of my club members built a Netzeband Scared Kitten around the .09 and it works terrific.

I have several hum drum larger displacement K&B's but nothing special like George's .09. Serial number (one of one Smile) and spark plug makes it unique.  It is a great find.  Something that you were looking for George, or it just popped up?

The "Good" Wankel arrived today also.  Shipped from California, priority mail, signature required.  Over packed and over shipped.  The shipping contailer was made especially to house the engine and with a "Happy Holidays" greetings from Patricia.  Left them super positive feedback.

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen P1014721
OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen P1014722
OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen P1014723
OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen P1014724
OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen P1014725

That makes three.  Considering this:

Outerzone 59" span

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Tri_pi10
OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Tri10

I said:

That and missing screws, hogged out threads replaced by a nut, etc. etc.

My mistake.  All three have that nut on one case screw.  No hogged out threads.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:22 pm

Hi All,

Those Wankels are cool !

When they were newly out, a club member had one on an UglyStick type plane.
Flew great all summer.
Smooth running, sounded great, revved more than similar sized engines.
Over the winter he built a scale lightplane with an aluminum cowl for it. Forget the type, but it was really nice.
Test flight, it took off and flew really nice.
After five minutes or so he landed. Engine not right.
Adjusted the needle valve, everything seemed good so tried again.
Same thing, five minutes and he had to land.
Then someone noticed blistering paint on the cowl.
Off it came and the once shiny engine was brown, and cooked.
Tried it without the cowl, but it never ran as good again.
Turned out Wankels run hot and do not like to be cowled.
Last time I saw a Wankel around here.

Really expensive then. Could get 2 or 3 nice .60s for the same price...

I am enjoying this post, curious what the inside looks like...
Thanks,
Dave

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:57 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
Ken Cook wrote:The Torp .09 is a neat engine and it does pretty well for a older engine. They're a bit loud but they sound great. It has a slightly different note over the OS. One of my club members built a Netzeband Scared Kitten around the .09 and it works terrific.
I have several hum drum larger displacement K&B's but nothing special like George's .09. Serial number (one of one Smile) and spark plug makes it unique.  It is a great find.  Something that you were looking for George, or it just popped up?
Bob, yes, was browsing a few E-Bay engines, it popped up. I looked at the price, fairly high volume seller with 100% feedback, no negative comments on any engines he sold, looked at the photos with less 2 hours on the clock. Photos looked clean, made a bid, only one other bidding, got it for under $32 shipping and tax included.

Should ship early next week, have by Friday. Will know more when it arrives. Good to hear that Ken gives a full thumbs up on it, as I intend to put it on one of my CL's.

HalfaDave wrote:Those Wankels are cool ! When they were newly out, a club member had one on an UglyStick type plane. Flew great all summer. Smooth running, sounded great, revved more than similar sized engines.

Over the winter he built a scale lightplane with an aluminum cowl for it. Forget the type, but it was really nice. Test flight, it took off and flew really nice. After five minutes or so he landed. Engine not  right. Adjusted the needle valve, everything seemed good so tried again. Same thing, five minutes and he had to land. Then someone noticed blistering  paint on the cowl. Off it came and the once shiny engine was brown, and cooked. Tried it without the cowl, but it never ran as good again.

Turned out Wankels run hot and do not like to be cowled. Last time I saw a Wankel around here. Really expensive then. Could get 2 or 3 nice .60s for the same price...

Can even cook a Schneurle or legacy cross scavenge with poor cowling techniques. Nick Ziroli on his F4F Wildcat had it exposed open in the breeze with his radial cowl and cooling exit holes toward the back I believe. I always like to have my engine's head and cylinder exposed, hanging upright or sidewinder sticking out of a cowl.

You are right, for the price I could buy a half dozen .40-.45's for the price of the Wankel .30, and have the same amount of fun (without the prestige of course, but fun exceeds pride factor! Laughing

Yup, he made an expensive boo boo. Doh! Think positive, What? he could have been flying a scale turbine powered jet with $35,000 US invested and Figure-9 it with a flaming inferno loss like this person did.

Popular Mechanics: This $35,000 RC Plane Crashed Right Into the Ground and Exploded

Tired w/ Coffee Read Popcorn lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:14 pm

Yes, I've seen the cheapest Jet Cat turbine engines go for over $10,000 each.
So if that plane had two of them, at the cheap end , that would be $20,000 for a start.

Last edited by sosam117 on Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:15 am

"Then someone noticed blistering paint on the cowl.
Off it came and the once shiny engine was brown, and cooked."

Good reason to leave them out hanging in the breeze.

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Ford-t11

Blast off...........Sorry, some things i just can't resist. Smile

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen P1014726
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:55 am

Pa-ta-to,  Pa-tah-toe, You rolling in CHIPS!! That's
definateley
a packing box suitable for display. Just curious what's the little square whitebox shown?  GPS tracker for confirmed delivery??
OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen Scree232
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next