Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen - Page 6 Cox_ba12

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen - Page 6 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by DanMc Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 4:31 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by balogh Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 11:52 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Yesterday at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen - Page 6 Empty
Live on Patrol

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen - Page 6 Empty Re: OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:44 am

Finished, or as far as I'm taking it.

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen - Page 6 Dscn1924

Gave it every chance, lubed the sears and new springs, cross tightened the body machine screws, new gasket under the glow plug and still getting little to no compression. Maybe one day when I haven't much to do I'll load up some 25% with castor and lay an electric starter on it.

Bright side. I came up with a very nice OS .30 for very little money.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen - Page 6 Empty Re: OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen

Post  Levent Suberk Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:35 pm

About compression of Wankel engine:

https://ludens.cl/aeromod/wankel/wankel.html

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen - Page 6 Screen70

OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen - Page 6 Screen68
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:23 pm

Thanks Levent, good reading.  I may try his mixture although he did not mention proportions.  And, I may try his sanding upgrades?  Not much to lose.  I have to take it apart again anyway, found a shim.  

I'm comparing the compression of this one with my other two.  None have the compression of the OS .30 pictured that really has pop, or most any non clapped out Cox engine for that matter.  My other two at least have some compression, this one has almost none.  It started out with two strikes against it. Rusty "bore" with an area of rust bubbles.  Not good.  It will look good mounted in my RX-7.  Smile  Maybe make a hood ornament out of it.............double smiley!

The writers engine has the early? intake, kind of square without the air bleed.  All mine have the bleeds.

I ordered a bunch of M2's and M3's from China, dirt cheap with $1.99 shipping. Hex head, black.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:04 pm

That reading was informative and interesting, Levent. Appears that the writer may have a later PI-49 without the annular aluminum cooling shroud made with the old Meehanite iron rotor and carbon steel rotor (same tech as the pre-ABC / ABN engines). Instructions for earlier PI-49 version mentions running 25% all Castor oil fuel. I am wondering if the reason why he did not have initial compression for starting was use of a different oil mix or percentage. I think this is why they mentioned to use electric starter and to liberally flood all chambers with prime fuel before starting. Writer isn't clear whether he did that, IMO.

Once started and broken in, I'd think the surfaces would attain to a certain amount of polishing comparable to his "blue printing" methods. Anyway, that is my impressions, never played with one of these so only spectating. Horsing Around

eBay Just in, my latest McCoy .35 Red Head (missing needle) and 10 props in size 10x4. Engine has a decent T/F 10x6 with good red silk screening (mounted backwards as received). Got the 10x4's for use with .19 - .25 older glow engines.
OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen - Page 6 2023-012

Engine is bone dry, back plate screws appear extremely clean as though never removed. Plug was missing the copper or aluminum crush gasket. Backplate shows signs of running. Has some compression but plug isn't cinched down with gasket. Nylon crank throw spacer is intact. With a replacement mixture needle, new plug, and generous re-oiling may be a decent runner.

The clear plastic box is one the grocery store uses to sell the bulk items in. I removed the labels, just need to clean off the sticky label glue. Am toying with the idea that these could serve as inexpensive engine display cases (plus keep the dust off them), because they are stackable.

Off to do my own engine "blue printing". Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:26 pm

Novices with this engine must automatically think "no compression" as they are used to conventional glow engines. They flip it expecting the usual model engine compression backlash. Doesn't happen with these. You get something far more moderate. Doesn't distract from a different innovative approach for spinning a shaft.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:48 pm

Bob, thought you might be interested in this article on the Graupner Wankel posted on Page 13 of the April 1968 American Aircraft Modeler Magazine.
OS/Graupner Wankel - It had to happen - Page 6 2023-014
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6