Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 5 Cox_ba12

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 5 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 9:38 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by rsv1cox Today at 6:38 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:33 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 3:45 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:24 pm

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Yesterday at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Tue May 14, 2024 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Tue May 14, 2024 5:59 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 5 Empty
Live on Patrol

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited)

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 5 Empty Re: Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited)

Post  SuperDave Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:49 am

Hence S.A.D. has another candidate for membership and SAD is not an exclusive group because most of us qualify if not once, many times.

See Wilf for an application.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 5 Empty Re: Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited)

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:48 pm

Micro,

It appeared that the wings were flexing quite a bit during the flight. and that they possibly folded near the end. Was that the case? Or did my eyes deceive me? Sorry about your misfortune but, it is possibly fixable. Post the results on the S.A.D !
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 5 Empty Sorry to see

Post  Jaspur_x Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Glad you got the video going on, sorry to see you crash though.

Cribbs may have a point there, and it sounded throttled up,and looked pretty fast, the foamy just couldn`t handle the thrust/speed very well.

Did you have enough control surface and throw to counter the spiral?
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Hey guys, that flight was before I started this thread. The problem was that, the wings were much too fragile for the speed it was flying. it shot straight up, and into a sharp turn until the right wing half folded over into a spiraling crash. The engine is a little big. If I built it light enough, it would have flown with an .020. The damage was almost nonexistent, just loosened up the cowl screws.

I have since started this thread, and done the following -

Added an RC throttle/muffler

Upgraded internals to 72mhz, 9g servos, (including throttle) voltage regulator to bring the 7.4v Lipo to 4.8v for the receiver. I will probably switch over to 2.4 so I don't have to use a radio that takes 8 batteries. Added struts to the wings.

It flies OK now, about 3 minutes and glide far enough to land softly. It runs rough in the air, to rich or too lean. I have a flight video but do not know ho to get it from DV to youtube.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 5 Empty cool

Post  Jaspur_x Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Cool with the new/er mods and the minimal dammages thus far.

I don`t know about the video , sadly I havn`t gotten that far myself.
But throttled049, it should be ok now right?
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:17 pm

Jaspur_x wrote:
But throttled049, it should be ok now right?

Yeah, it is still a little tedious flying it.. Just takes some getting used too.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:14 pm

I see now, I thought that was after the rebuild. What exactly is your engine doing in the air? Does it run well on the ground? Is it tanked or external? Post some more info if you can, I bet collectively we could figure out the rough running. I replied to your PM btw......
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:36 am

That is a black widow right?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:38 am

It is a pre-96 Black Widow, with an 8cc internal tank - no room inside the plane. It runs excellent on the ground once it warms up, but in the air throttle response is slow and the engine sounds like it is running too rich. I richened it up and it ran even worse, so I am thinking it is richening itself up in flight. Which is odd, because I though they leaned out.

There is a one problem with all of this, not sure if I mentioned it.

I cannot take the engine off. I ran allan bolts through the back of the firewall and into the ears of the engine's backplate. I coated them in epoxy and it has worked. I do not even know where the pickup tube is, or if it is rotten. Shocked

I know, REALLY slack thing to do, I was overexcited and just wanted it finished.

PM replied Ron.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:00 am

If you want to get epoxied screws out, put your driver in the screw head and heat it with a soldering iron and it will soften the epoxy enough that it lets go of the screws. I broke a screw of in my Li'l Satan firewall and had to extract it with a soldering iron and needlenose. That epoxy is some strong stuff.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:39 am

So, it is a Black Widow with a 8CC control line backplate tank I take it??.

If so,,

Your probably sloshing fuel away from the fuel pickup during flight.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:49 am

You could try running pressure and a non tanked backplate an it may improve.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 5 Empty throttle

Post  Jaspur_x Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:06 pm

Which throttle are you running? A throttle ring I would assume but I can`t recall the last close-up pic I saw. often times (I`m told) when throttling a cox that was designed to run without throttle, they go rich or lean depending on the type of throttle you use. I would have to look over my old notes to be quoting someone very much in the know, but spitting and sputteeing is common when throttling too.
The very best throttle I ever saw run, countered the mixture variances due to throttling via air/fuel intake adjustment while simultaneously restricting exhaust;this caused no rich or lean tendencies like are caused by throttling exhaust or intake alone does.

I`m not discounting any other answer to your problem, just adding that it may simply be your throttle method that is causing your rich mixture condition.
I am off to find the information and source of this info to back up my statement. Computer Issues
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:12 pm

nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:18 pm

All the info is in this thread, just takes some reading.

Yes, it is the standard 8cc tank the BW shipped with. Dragonfly muffler/throttle combo.

I ran these screws, head on the rear of the firewall, and into the backplate ears on the other side. The only way to remove the motor would be to pull it off, or pull the firewall off and unscrew the bolts.

Maybe this will help ~

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 5 Screws_mb_mount
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:19 pm

I used the combo off the dragonfly -

Build Log: Converting a 31" Super Cub to .049 Power (revisited) - Page 5 Cox_dragonfly
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:31 pm

Incredible amount of vibration with that dragonfly tank setup. I had a perfect balanced prop and it still caused me alarm as it was just a black plastic blur at full sing.

So long as you didnt distort the tank to badly and cause a air leak in any way as you drove your mounting screws thru, it should work fine.

The dragonfly muffler/throttle ring makes the engine go rich when you close it off.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:42 pm

I do not have the tank from the dragonfly. Aluminum 8cc stunt tank. Very Happy Check back to page two I think, there are some pictures. Maybe page 1 too. Smile

Will leaning it out help? After the flight, I dropped some fuel on the head - it immediately boiled off/vaporized.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:23 pm

microflitedude wrote:I do not have the tank from the dragonfly. Aluminum 8cc stunt tank. Very Happy Check back to page two I think, there are some pictures. Maybe page 1 too. Smile

Will leaning it out help? After the flight, I dropped some fuel on the head - it immediately boiled off/vaporized.

Ok, gotcha. well, with that tank you are fighting a losing battle. It's a Control line tank,,as such, it is meant to have the pickup tube positioned to the outside,, for fuel pickup by centrifugal force (fuel slung to the outside of the tank as the model swings in its circle). Stuff you probably already know. A clunk style tank is preferred for flying R/C. With your control line style tank, fuel sloshes away from that pickup when you flip upside down, turn to the left, turn to the right, ect. and you get what you are getting now,,erratic running.. I know bucks are tight, but once you can,,purchase a clunk tank, a tank style backplate and start there first before moving on to flight tuning. It will run fine sitting motionless, but once the fuel sloshes during flight, you get a crazy motor.

Lets fix that issue first if you can do so, then move onto flight tuning, which will be the easy part.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:25 am

PV Pilot wrote:
microflitedude wrote:I do not have the tank from the dragonfly. Aluminum 8cc stunt tank. Very Happy Check back to page two I think, there are some pictures. Maybe page 1 too. Smile

Ok, gotcha. well, with that tank you are fighting a losing battle. It's a Control line tank,,as such, it is meant to have the pickup tube positioned to the outside,, for fuel pickup by centrifugal force (fuel slung to the outside of the tank as the model swings in its circle). Stuff you probably already know. A clunk style tank is preferred for flying R/C. With your control line style tank, fuel sloshes away from that pickup when you flip upside down, turn to the left, turn to the right, ect. and you get what you are getting now,,erratic running.. I know bucks are tight, but once you can,,purchase a clunk tank, a tank style backplate and start there first before moving on to flight tuning. It will run fine sitting motionless, but once the fuel sloshes during flight, you get a crazy motor.

Lets fix that issue first if you can do so, then move onto flight tuning, which will be the easy part.

Thanks for the info, that explains all of it. I wish I knew this before. I seems like with all the FF and RC mods I have seen this would be ab bigger problem. Will I damage the engine the way it runs now?

I have a Sullivan 1oz clunk tank, (NOT a fun tank to build) which I think is the smallest clunk tank out there other than the dragonfly/RC bee. There is no room in the plane, though. Possibly on the wing? Very Happy This is going to be more trouble than it's worth.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:34 am

Bring the engine mount forward and position it right behind the mount.
Or make a tank that is a of a suitable shape for this application.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:58 am

nitroairplane wrote:Bring the engine mount forward and position it right behind the mount.
Or make a tank that is a of a suitable shape for this application.

The nose would be so long you have to add weight in the tail. Shocked

I think I will leave it as is, for now anyway. At least it flies!
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:59 am

Yeah I suppose at least you can just go out and fly.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:07 pm

I have decided the death of this plane is clearly seen and unavoidable.

Death by fuel erosion. Very Happy Slowly eats away at the plane until the mount gives. Is EPP foam alcohol safe? I would make the clean up easier.

Then, maybe then I will try CL. Then I have decent engine. Very Happy

Last edited by microflitedude on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Yeah that may be your best bet.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next